In Broken Places by Michele Phoenix

In Broken Places

by Michele Phoenix

141683,257 (3)None

I enjoyed this book although it moved along a bit slowly to me. I did not realize that it was what I consider christian fiction. It was not featured heavily in the story, but was mentioned a few times. The main character is Shelby. Her and her brother, Trey are children of an abusive father who eventually left their family.

Shelby, now in her thirties, suddenly finds herself the legal guardian of her step-sister, Shayla. Hoping for a new start to life, Shelby accepts a teaching position at a missionary run school in Germany. There she meets Scott, a fellow teacher, who helps her begin to let go of her past.

This was an enjoyable read, but at times, not much going on besides past abuse issues. I was interested in it because I had also taught overseas in a missionary school and thought it would be a book I could relate to. I enjoyed it for that reason. Shelby is still dealing with the effects of her dad's abusive and the flashbacks involve some heavy issues and details of how two young children suffered emotional scarring. ( )
  melaniehope | Nov 14, 2013 |

"Shelby's life isn't glamorous, but it is predictable--and that's the way she likes it. A survivor of her father's violence, she has spent a lifetime creating a safe existence devoid of dependence. But her carefully managed world begins to break when, under staggering circumstances, she becomes a single mother to four-year-old Shayla. In a drastic attempt to escape her childhood's influence, Shelby moves to Germany, but she quickly discovers how intimately linked memory and healing are--and how honestly she must scrutinize her past in order to aspire to a richer future. As she juggles a new job, a new culture, a new daughter, and the attention of an enterprising man, Shelby's fresh start becomes a quest for the courage to be not only a survivor, but someone who prevails."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,447,211 books! | Top bar: Always visible