The Show by John A. Heldt

The Show by John A Heldt

If you have read and enjoyed John Heldt’s book The Mine then you will certainly equally enjoy The Show. It is an excellent sequel to an excellent book.

There is some necessary recapping of The Mine storyline but Heldt keeps it short enough not to bore a reader familiar with Grace and Joel’s story but enough to set the scene for readers starting with this book.

It begins when Grace attempts to find her time travelling boyfriend. They had met in 1941 but he has decided to return to his own time 2000.

How they meet again in 2000 is creative, different and enjoyable.

Everything is perfect for the reunited couple. They marry and have twin daughters but once again, this time by accident, Grace enters a time portal and travel back to 1918.

Unable to return she starts a new life, meets family members and falls in love with a soldier returned from the war. She also discovers she is pregnant to Joel. But what decision would she make if an opportunity arises? I’ll leave the reader to discover that.

Heldt is a master story teller and the historical facts demonstrate his skills as a researcher. He cleverly weaves fiction with historical events. His characters are likeable and believable. His story telling is engrossing and it is easy to get lost in the story; feel the atmosphere, hear the sounds and experience life of the time.

Like his other stories you will guess and re-guess what the ending will be and I am guessing you won’t pick it, or even some of the twists and turns within the story.

I still have one more book of John Heldt’s to review and two more to read. I am already a big fan of his writing and hope he continues with stories of this quality. He deserves to become a best-selling author.

This review is also available on my website www.pam.id.au
  Hostie13 | Jan 30, 2016 |
The Show by John A. Heldt
This novel is about the time travellers, Grace and Joel.
They have become separated in time as Grace searches for and finds the clues to bring her back to him. Many of the same people in the series make an appearance in this book.
Easy to keep track of who is who. Really liked the clues she remembered him speaking of and how it all plays a part at the show they see together.
She then tracks down others and thinks she will never get back to his time when she is at the show and the same show will be playing, not the one on the billboard. She may have another chance but it depends on colors.
What a mystery this one was to solve, right up to the very end. Good tale. Very detailed descriptions of things used in each of the time frames.
Wished I had read this series in the order but still a really good read.
I received this book from the author in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  jbarr5 | Jan 16, 2015 |
The Show by John A Heldt

How they meet again in 2000 is creative, different and enjoyable.

This review is also available on my website www.pam.id.au ( )
  paf4948 | Apr 20, 2014 |
It is 1941 in Seattle, twenty-one year old Grace Vandenberg just learns that her boyfriend is a time traveler from 2000. She learns that he does not plan on coming back. Saddened that he is not coming after her, Grace decides she is going to look for him. Her plan is to find the portal and travel to 2000.

Just when she thinks she has her life set and things are soon going fine, she finds herself in 1918. While there she meets her parents, among other family members and a young handsome Army Captain just back from the war.

She is faced with some life altering decisions, and she alone has the power to make them. A fantastic time travel story by John A. Heldt. The Show is the sequel to The Mine. I highly recommend both books and I look forward to the fourth book The Fire ( )
  SheriAWilkinson | Apr 2, 2014 |
***I received a free copy in exchange for a book review***

I loved this 70 chapter book. If you’ve already read the first book in the series, then it starts off a little slow because it explains the back story of Grace and Joel’s relationship while providing details of how she found his note about returning to the year 2000. Once that section is over, the book has an interesting love story. Keep in mind, a person can love a significant other, friend, and family member.

My favorite lines: 1) “Most people call it a shopping mall,” Katie said. “I call it organized chaos.” 2) How could a man, any man compete with a memory? 3) When you abruptly abandoned loved ones, you left wreckage behind. 4) And with that, three women once separated by time, space, and death were reunited.

The author had a brilliant talent with characterization and setting.

There were a lot of characters for the reader to juggle, but the author did a great job of having each character’s personality shine through as well as revealing different motivations. I wasn’t confused nor lost at all. I loved seeing Penelope, Edith, and Katie in different stages of their lives. I thought their personalities and mannerisms stayed consistent while they were older women, teens, and in Penelope’s case, a little girl. John A. Heldt managed to make all the relationships three-dimensional.

The story covered three time zones: 1941, 2000, and 1918. As a reader, I wasn’t confused because the clothing, body language, dialogue, gender belief systems and expectations were established clearly in a very descriptive way. It felt like I was transported in the different time zones alongside Grace. I thought it was cool how Grace managed the unexpected twists–talk about utter confusion for her.

A love story can’t be perfect so, of course, there were some obstacles. On Grace and Joel’s anniversary, they attended an event at the remodeled movie theater. This is where the story really got entertaining for me. My favorite sections and chapters–the ones that featured Grace getting to know her ancestors in 1918. I respected that everyone was skeptical and didn’t just blindly believe Grace; it made the story more realistic. Being invested in Grace and Joel’s relationship since the first book in the series, I didn’t care for John, the next door neighbor in 1918, trying to pursue Grace.

My favorite scenes: 1) when Grace saw her mom and dad for the first time 2) Grace’s interactions with her great uncle, Alistair 3) the scenes in the remodeled movie theater (present and past)

The ending was intense. Did Grace end up with John? Or was she trapped in 1918 forever due to the movie theater fire? Could she find her way back to 2000 to be with Joel? You’ll have to read the story to find out. I can say that the cliffhanger definitely motivated me to want to read the next book!

I RECOMMEND this book to read. ( )
  Yawatta | Sep 5, 2013 |
The Show (Northwest Passage #3) John A. Heldt

added by SheriAWilkinson | editPrinceton, Il., Sheri A Wilkinson (Oct 12, 2013)

To Heidi, Amy, and Matthew and in memory of Doug
Grace allowed the tears to run their course. For five minutes she did nothing but stare out a window and weep.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,354,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible