Darth Maul: Lockdown by Joe Schreiber

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.com by express permission of this reviewer   Synopsis: Maul is sent undercover to a prison to ferret out the identity of an Arm's Dealer and to buy a proscribed weapon from him to further one of Palpatine's devious schemes.   My Thoughts: I enjoyed this book more than I did the previous 2 by Schreiber. Mainly because it wasn't lame-o horror but a typical action/thriller.   Think Cage Match on a self-contained prison satellite. And Maul gets to do most of the fighting. The whole reason he is there is razor thin plotwise, but let us be honest with ourselves, I don't read Star Wars for it's Dickens' like plots, characters and settings.   I can see people enjoying or not enjoying this book, depending on their mood at time of reading. If I'd been grumpy, I'd probably have torn this book apart for the shallow piece of tripe that it is; but I wasn't grumpy, so I enjoyed the rollercoaster action and the all most non-stop fighting.   I also went into this with ZERO expectations. After the news about the gutting of the Extended Universe a little bit ago, my fandomometer went right down to empty. So since I enjoyed the action, I ended up enjoying the whole book.   Also, I really liked the fact that Schreiber makes a no holds barred confession that he's a Christian in his intro/ending/thanks/whatever. That encourages me.   Rating: 3 of 5 Stars Author: Joe Schreiber " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
There is once a Sith and his padawan. These two people or rather human and alien's names are Darth Maul and Darth Sidious. These people are very dark people. These people are sith. The sith are people who oppose the Jedi, the people of the force. Darth Maul has a very hard mission to complete. He has to go to prison.
This mission is to get into a prison and find an arms dealer who posses a weapon which can help the sith take over the galaxy. This weapon is very deadly. Darth Maul has to penetrate a jail and survive jail fights and arena fights without using the force. This will be a very hard task but if anyone can do it Darth Maul can. He has been trained very hard and this is what Maul has been trained for, endurance, strength, and power. Hopefully it will turn out well because if it doesn't succeed then he will die. ( )
  AlexB.b1 | Mar 2, 2015 |
I was immediately drawn in, but also wondered if I would be able to stomach the rest of the book. The idea of Darth Maul fighting to the death inside a prison felt like a great idea, but the plot develops into something much more complicated, unfortunately. It started to drag on and on. It became difficult to understand and believe everything that was going on.

I appreciated the intent of trying to do something unique in Star Wars literature, but I wanted something a little more simplified and easier to follow. ( )
  Porfinicle | Jan 16, 2015 |
There were some things I liked about this book and some things I didn't. I liked the brutality--Schreiber brings a grittiness to his Star Wars novels that is often lacking from a universe so constantly mired in war. There was a lot of action, a lot of stuff going on, plots and subplots, so overall it was fun.

The stuff I didn't like was a little on the nitpicky side. I didn't like that one of the characters was a Noghri, long before their discovery, for no apparent reason. I didn't like the mention of Wayland, presumably before Palpatine had established his storehouse there (although perhaps not). I didn't like that Maul seemed soft, and almost even a little tender, in some of his interactions with Eogan Truax and Komari Vosa. Some of the dialogue is clumsy and a little dumb.

At any rate, I'm hoping that the upcoming Star Wars movies will nullify much of the Extended Universe; I imagine they will. If this book happens to be among the casualties, I won't shed any tears. ( )
  jonwwil | Feb 25, 2014 |
In a galaxy far, far away there lays a prison turned battle arena with an unexpected visitor. Sent to find a man who may or may not exist, Darth Maul has to wade his way through vicious guards, prisoners, and other wildlife that haunt the unfinished corridors of the prison. It is always interesting to see the Star Wars universe from the point of the Sith, and as such the ending is not conclusive and pleasingly dark.

Free review copy. ( )
  mrmapcase | Jan 22, 2014 |
Wham!

Set before the events of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, this new novel is a thrilling follow-up to Star Wars: Darth Plagueis

It's kill or be killed in the space penitentiary that houses the galaxy’s worst criminals, where convicts face off in gladiatorial combat while an underworld gambling empire reaps the profits of the illicit blood sport. But the newest contender in this savage arena, as demonic to behold as he is deadly to challenge, is fighting for more than just survival. His do-or-die mission, for the dark masters he serves, is to capture the ultimate weapon: an object capable of obliterating the Jedi and conquering the galaxy.

Sith lords Darth Plagueis and Darth Sidious are determined to possess the prize. And one of the power-hungry duo has his own treacherous plans for it. But first, their fearsome apprentice must take on a bloodthirsty prison warden, a cannibal gang, cutthroat crime lord Jabba the Hutt, and an unspeakable alien horror. No one else could brave such a gauntlet of death and live. But no one else is the dreaded dark-side disciple known as Darth Maul.

To fulfill his do-or-die mission for the dark masters he serves, the dreaded Darth Maul must take on a bloodthirsty prison warden, a cannibal gang, cutthroat crime lord Jabba the Hutt, and an unspeakable alien horror in order to capture the ultimate weapon: an object that will enable the Sith to conquer the galaxy. Set before the events of Star Wars: Episode I, The Phantom Menace.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,562,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible