Raging Star by Moira Young

Raging Star

by Moira Young

2051057,211 (3.8)15

Raging Star by Moira Young was a satisfactory conclusion to her Dustlands trilogy. This post-apocalyptic story plays on the themes of betrayal and loyalty while the main character, Saba, who at times expresses doubt in her abilities, leads a small group of inexperienced guerilla fighters to try to overthrow an oppressive society and bring peace and freedom to the Dustlands. The main character, Saba, is a very damaged and conflicted heroine, and at times I struggled with actually caring much about her, she was brave, resourceful and caring but had absolute no people smarts and so was deceived time and again.

I was totally drawn into this series by the first book, Blood Red Road. The second book, Rebel Heart suffered a little in comparison but I had high hopes for the final volume and, for the most part, I thought this volume hit the mark. It seemed at times that the romance angle was the most important part of the story, but as I kept reminding myself, this is a YA story so the romance is an important element. The action picked up during the last third of the book and I felt the author did a good job at tying up the ends and giving her main characters a good resolution. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jun 15, 2017 |
The Angel of Death... I'm going to have a huge book hangover from this one. I miss the Dust Lands and the characters-Saba, Emmi, Auriel, Mercy, Slim, Jack, DeMalo- all of them, already.

In Raging Star, Saba has to the blood moon, 7 days, to bring DeMalo down and although they call Saba the Angel of Death because she's won so many fights and has so many deaths on her head, she believes this is one battle that has to be won without weapons. That's not what her crew, the Free Hawks are use too though so they aren't too convinced of her plan. Anger, grief, fear, lies, resentment and betrayal boil beneath the surface not only in her crew but within the people of New Eden who have been wronged by DeMalo. Can she use that to her advantage and bring DeMalo down before the blood moon?

I love everything about this series! Young literally transports you to another place with her writing. The language, the setting, the characters all just mesh together into this amazing, atmospheric story that will leave you speechless. I would love to see this turned into a movie. If you haven't read it yet, don't wait any longer. You're missing out! ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
I loved the first two books in the series, but this final book was disappointing. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Hate to see this series come to a close...worth the adventure for sure. :)

JulieCovington | May 29, 2016 |
I was really disappointed by this novel. Blood Red Road remains one of my favourite dystopian novels and Rebel Star, while weaker, was still an enjoyable read. Raging Star is just...lacking. It's very slow burning. While the opening and closing chapters are exciting, the 300 pages in between are really drawn out and padded. The entire series was wrapped up in the last twenty pages of this story in a really rushed epilogue and a couple of major characters are hastily killed off, their deaths serving no purpose and offering no catharsis for Saba.

The focus this time is largely on character relationships, building a mystery regarding which of them Saba can ultimately trust. Unfortunately, the traitor in the team is obvious (and has really been obvious since Rebel Star) and so these chapters are mainly characterised with Saba making silly mistakes and completely overlooking the obvious mole in her team.

The romance in the series is really disappointing. This novel widens the (sigh) love triangle between Saba, Jack and DeMalo. I've never really bought into any of these relationships as writing romance isn't one of Young's strongest suits. I'm baffled as to what attracts Saba to DeMalo - the dictator of New Eden who sanctions the murder of sickly babies. Jack also irritating, constantly brushing Saba aside and never giving the impression that he truly cares about her. I really wanted Saba just to walk away from both of them but, unfortunately, her development has turned her from the Angel of Death to someone who will endanger many just because she doesn't want either of the men she likes to get hurt. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Jan 26, 2016 |

Saba leads a group of guerrillas against DeMalo and the Tonton, all while contemplating DeMalo's invitation to join him in building a New Eden.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,251,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible