Champion by Marie Lu

Champion

by Marie Lu

Divergent by Veronica Roth (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Dystopian thriller romance in an alternate America.

I sobbed my way through this entire book. Spectacular. I wish this series was the well known YA dystopia. ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
This has to be the first time in which I've enjoyed all three books in a trilogy based on their own merits and together as a whole; where the second book is NOT simply a filler/setup/prelude and where the third book isn't rushed or lacking in character development and storyline, and where the conclusion/epilogue isn't mushy or anticlimatic but incredibly hopeful and satisfactory. I absolutely love how Marie Lu ended the book, it was perfect and I have not been able to say that about a lot of the third book in the trilogies that came out this year (i.e. Clockwork Princess, Requiem, Divergent). I'm going to miss Day and June! ( )
  jthao_02 | May 18, 2017 |
I had a really hard time getting into the final book of this series. I was just not feeling the story. It was very predictable, boring and the story line is just over done in dystopian young adult series. I am not sure why I made myself finish the series, but figured I was this far into it that I should finish it. Was hoping for more from this series as I've heard this is a good one to check out. I wouldn't recommend this series if you're tired of the same ole ya series about boy meets girl, girl and boy fall in love and have to change the world. ( )
  MinDea | Mar 19, 2017 |
In the final installment of Marie Lu's dystopian YA fiction, June is Precept-Elect and Day is the nation's idol, but Anden believes Day's younger brother Eden is the only way to find a cure to a wide-spreading virus from the Colonies. Choosing to save the Republic from Colonies takeover or submit his brother to experimentations is just one impossible choice Day faces in the final chapters of the Legend series.

I've been reading these slowly through over the past three years, being the first dystopian series that actually made their characters likable (sorry, Suzanne Collins and Veronica Roth). The only reason I didn't engulf the entire series when I first discovered them was 1) the romance was a little much for me by the beginning of the second book, and 2) I KNEW what happened in most dystopians, and I didn't want to put my emotions through that. Thankfully a friend read them all back to back and said they were worth finishing. So here I am.

The author makes me sit back in wonder when she develops her character's voices. When I first started the series, I was dismayed to see that there were two POVs and BOTH of them were in the first person present tense. I HATE first person present tense. What's worse, the author felt it necessary to change font and color whenever the characters' voices switched, and instead of chapter headings, she just had the character's name. Terrific. But as I read, I realized the formatting was just a curtesy. She could have still written the book without changing the fonts because of her character's voices. June, a soldier of the Republic, is a very analytical person. She counts each person in the room, assesses their weapon model number and year, and measures the lengths of the rooms and hallways she's in. She even can sense the temperature and will often record it between scene breaks. Day, on the other hand, grew up on the streets. He has pet phrases and street slang that June lacks. He doesn't have hypersensitive observational skills, but he notices how roofs are slanted and where all the footholds and window sills are in case he needs to make a fast getaway. Without even making up new "swear words" of the future (except for maybe "goddy," never heard that one before) she is able to give him a whole new language that's exclusive to him and people like him. I love it!

Now for a little critical. This book, truthfully, did not hold my attention as well as the first two did. Maybe it's because I have more to do this summer and reading dramatic teen fiction has slumped down the priority list, but I didn't get the same feelings for this book as I did it's previous installments. Unlike the first book of the series, which is the one that hooked me, Champion is mainly composed of two concepts: politics and romance. Look, I like politics to a point, and even fiction politics I can stand a little, but when June is stuck in Senate meetings when she could be out in the field breaking the arms of the enemy, the story tends to slack. Or where Day used to be able to jump across rooftops and swing into windows to do little acts of rebellion, now he spends large portions of the book in the hospital--either because of his own problems or his brother's or his friend's. The characters have definitely developed over the series, but the excitement in each of them has died a little, which made the plot die a little itself.

And don't get me started on the romance. *melts in frustration* C. S. Lewis once said, "Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say 'infinitely' when you mean 'very'; otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite." I'm not entirely sure if this is the best example to lead with, but the romance was just too much. Save it so I don't get tired of it. Marie Lu kept using the word "infinite" when she really meant "very." If the guy's elbow accidentally bumps you, do you really get this overwhelming, dramatic electrifying shock running up your back for half a page, which then spontaneously leads to two more pages fantasizing and worrying about you and your guy's future together? I dunno. I've never had anyone I really liked, okay? But I feel like this is a little much. Save it. Wait for a good time to use this to excite the readers. By the end, I shouldn't be tired of their relationship; I should be cheering it on. Because she did such a good job at developing the characters before the romance started, I still cared enough for them to cheer on the shipment, but only because I liked them before they were attracted to each other.

This includes the scene where they decide to jump into bed together. Disclaimer, I skipped the scene as soon as I knew what was happening, so I don't know the extent of the scene, though I have pretty good reason to believe it was an actual sex scene. WOMAN. Really, how would you like it if you were making love with someone and all your fans just walked into the room? That's kinda how it's like, right? I don't want to read this. Keep it private. And besides, sixteen-year-olds should NOT be doing this.

'Nother disclaimer: I skipped the scenes about Thomas and Metias too. Sorry, I don't like reading about guys loving on guys. It's just not natural. Yes, I'm very pro traditional marriage. I give the author props that she didn't shove this theme in our faces as much as she could have. Metias has been dead since the beginning of book one, so all she's got is backstory that pops up occasionally. Still, this guy, plus one of the Patriots being gay, plus the sex scene, keeps me from recommending it to everyone I come across in church or school and keeps me from owning the entire series. Very disappointing, because I really DID enjoy most of the series.

Okay, enough of that. Back to the positives. The story DEFINITELY picked up the pace near the end. Knowing how dystopians typically work, I was all "here's my shortlist of people I think could/probably will die" and tried to read the book without emotion for any of the characters, telling myself SOMEONE'S gonna die. But by the end, I realized I would still be totally and emotionally crushed if one of the characters died--yes, she made me care that much, even when I didn't want to. Props to you, Lu.

In the final chapters, I had trouble slowing down to read the description, my heart pounding and my shouts of frustration periodically getting me reprimanded from the rest of my family in the house who were tired of my commentary. There always seemed to be ONE MORE THING WRONG that needed to be fixed, drawing the action and intensity out as long as she felt wickedly possible. A fantastic ending that's screenplay is Hollywood worthy. I would LOVE to see this series into a trilogy of movies, and I'm one of those people who still haven't seen the second, or third, or fourth movie of Hunger Games...and really is dismayed at the planned FIFTH Hunger Games...and hasn't seen the second, or third, or fourth(?) Divergent movie. But would I watch a movie series of Legend? Yeah, probably--for THIS ending.

For those of you who were like me and doesn't want to read the rest of the series because you're afraid you'll get Rothed with an untimely and horrible death or depressing ending? Just read it. The ending was dramatic, intense, and skillfully written. Obviously I can't spoil the series, but *I* actually felt satisfied with the ending, and if you've read my reviews on other dystopians, you'll known I'm hard to impress, "yeah?"

The rating is what it is for the adult content, and would otherwise be much higher.

Things To Watch Out For:
Romance: Boy makes out with a random girl behind a bar; boy kisses girl multiple times when she's with someone else; lots of kissing between the two main characters, with plenty of sensory imagery and description; sex scene that takes up a couple pages. While skimming to find the end of the scene, I saw enough to know it was plenty sensual; man admits his love to another man and describes a scene where he kissed him (skipped around this scene too, so my warning isn't fully informed)
Language: Day frequently uses the H and D words and once says "Chrissakes" (spelled just like that) near the end of the book in the hospital. Two BS words, one said by a Patriot during evacuation in the middle of the book, and one in the Senate meeting at the end. BA written in the acknowledgments in the back of the book. Day frequently says "goddy," a futuristic adjective that could take the place of GD"; screw" once, "pissed" maybe another
Violence: lots of fighting, both with guns and hand to hand; a character's shoulder is popped out of joint; some significant characters die; experimental procedures provide discomfort for characters; severe headaches cause one character tremendous pain
Drugs: Day smokes medical cigarettes for his health; wine and alcohol; medication
Nudity: sex scene? Pretty sure their clothes were off
Other: Deep themes of politics and freedom throughout that may be too complicated for younger readers; Would have liked to see a little of the "old America" play a bigger role in the series #murica; one character prays, obviously addressing God, but she doesn't really know Him, so although the pronouns are capitalized for respect, some of the pronouns are "It." This same prayer to the deity of the book also seems to have consequences, although the author doesn't make the character who prayed bitter or angry, thankfully. ( )
  Jenneth | Jul 29, 2016 |
What a great ending to the trilogy. Although I don't know if I like the way this one ended. It made me really sad. Tons of action, suspense and fighting. Wraps up the story nicely. This is a great trilogy. Well worth my time. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Not part of the Claudy Conn Legend series.

The explosive finale to Marie Lu’s New York Times bestselling LEGEND trilogy—perfect for fans of THE HUNGER GAMES and DIVERGENT!

He is a Legend.
She is a Prodigy.
Who will be Champion?

June and Day have sacrificed so much for the people of the Republic—and each other—and now their country is on the brink of a new existence. June is back in the good graces of the Republic, working within the government’s elite circles as Princeps Elect while Day has been assigned a high level military position. But neither could have predicted the circumstances that will reunite them once again. Just when a peace treaty is imminent, a plague outbreak causes panic in the Colonies, and war threatens the Republic’s border cities. This new strain of plague is deadlier than ever, and June is the only one who knows the key to her country’s defense. But saving the lives of thousands will mean asking the one she loves to give up everything he has. With heart-pounding action and suspense, Marie Lu’s bestselling trilogy draws to a stunning conclusion.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:32 -0400)

"June and Day have sacrificed so much for the people of the Republic--and each other--and now their country is on the brink of a new existence. Just when a peace treaty is imminent, a plague outbreak causes panic in the Colonies, and war threatens the Republic's border cities"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,642,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible