A Riveting Affair (Entangled Ever After) by…

A Riveting Affair (Entangled Ever After)

by Candace Havens

312,001,085 (3.5)None
Recently added bysonofcradock, thehistorychic, Caro

Read in April, 2013

Read for Review (NetGalley)
Overall Anthology Rating: 3.75

NOTE: What you should know about the Candace Haven's entry--it is more of a teaser for a new series than a true novella. Knowing that totally changed my rating since I really liked the characters but felt the story was incomplete.

NOTE: On a whole I am not a fan of steampunk but I am glad I gave this one a whirl!

Beauty and the Clockwork Beast by Lily Lang
Overall Rating: 4.50
Story Rating: 4.25
Character Rating: 4.75

This was my favorite of the 3 stories! I am a sucker for Beauty and The Beast type of stories in the first place. This one was really well done and while I still could have used more character development, I did really enjoy the timeline. I could imagine what happened in the inbetween so it didn't feel like instalove. The steampunk elements were not overpowering and the story was solid!

The Clockwork Bride
Overall Rating: 3.00
Story Rating: 2.75
Character Rating: 3.25

This was my least favorite of the stories BUT that is because it had a lot of steampunk elements in it. I want to point that out because fans of steampunk will probably love it. This is just a case of the story not working for this particular reader. I did enjoy the characters and wanted to know more about them. The story line was quick to launch but she did refrain from rushing their love story. I do think this story will work better for steampunk readers.

Demon Express
Overall Rating: 3.75
Character Rating: 4.25
Story Rating: 3.25

First, it is important to note that I don't think this works as a stand alone novella. It does however work quite well as a teaser for things to come. I really enjoyed the characters and the glimpse into their world. This read a little different than a typical steampunk and I will give the full-length novel a whirl. I do love me some Cowboys and there is a smexy one in here!

Final Thought: Overall I was really impressed with this anthology even though I am not a huge fan of novellas. A Riveting Affair had some great characters and fans of steampunk will love the gadgetry! ( )
  thehistorychic | Apr 22, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,814,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible