The Love Wars by L. Alison Heller

The Love Wars

by L. Alison Heller

I received a copy of The Love Wars by L. Alison Heller in exchange for an honest review.

I absolutely loved this book, it kept me turning the pages until the very end.

Molly is an attorney at a top notch law firm in Manhattan with some really egotistical bosses and lots of long hours and the pay to go with it. Then – in walks the ex wife (Fern) of a really mean media mogul and Fern really needs someone to represent her because she is being alienated from her children by her ex-husband.

It was a very realistic representation of a child custody case, and I loved how Molly rose to the task. She wanted her “career” plans to work, but at what cost, with everything getting much more complicated than she anticipated. The other characters were spot on and there were some great surprises and I really loved the way the story played out.

I would absolutely recommend!
  karmakath | Sep 8, 2014 |

I absolutely loved this book, it kept me turning the pages until the very end.

I would absolutely recommend!
  karmaforlifechick | Aug 17, 2014 |
Entertaining, but main character lacking some drama.

Meet Molly Grant a level-headed and responsible matrimonial attorney for a prestigious Manhattan law firm. Maybe even a little to responsible for my taste, as it took a few chapters for me to warm up to her story. I personally found the first few chapters of “The Love Wars” dull and lacking, As hard as I tried I just could not connect to her character and she seems quite boring to me.

The Love Wars centers around the main character Molly and her relationship with a few clients and coworkers at the law firm. Molly doesn’t really have a real boyfriend, that is unless you count her obsession with trolling the internet looking for information on the one guy she dated back in college, who later seems to only be using her as booty call. There really isn’t even much of a conversation gong on with these two and I quickly lost interest in anything productive happening with their relationship.

I kept an open mind and I thought the possibilities for this story were open, yet I also felt Molly was missing a real life personality. She could have been a better character if she had some dirty little secrets, something to pull the reader along in anticipation. I feel Heller is an excellent writer and I enjoyed her writing style very much. The plot runs along smoothly in one direction and there are many interesting things going on with her other characters. I would say this book was not a total loss, I just feel Heller needs to add a little more spice to her characters to liven them up. ( )
  autumnblues | Jun 13, 2013 |
Marriage is supposed to be "until death do us part" but in reality, these days, it is often a span of time much shorter than forever. And while the ending of any marriage can get ugly and contentious, when there's a lot at stake, money, children, etc., it can be just as hostile and toxic as it's possible to be. And yet there are divorce lawyers who seem to thrive in this poisonous atmosphere. Molly Grant, the main character in L. Alison Heller's new novel The Love Wars, may not love the situations inherent in her job but she finds the work in the matrimonial group more interesting than the corporate law she had been practicing at one of the city's top firms and she's about to make a big difference, one that she never anticipated nor sought out and one that could jeopardize everything.

When Molly finished law school and landed the job at Bacon Payne, she had visions of paying her parents back for the sacrifices and investment they made in her education. The fact that the firm gives associates who endure the tyrannical bosses, the abuse, the monotony, and endless grueling hours for a full five years a no strings attached bonus equivalent to a year's salary plays a large part in her fantasies and provides her with a concrete reason to go to work every day because it sure wasn't the work driving her to be at the office 24/7. She had high hopes for more appealing cases and fewer hours when she applied for the unheard of transfer from corporate to matrimonial. But the move hasn't necessarily made her any happier. Now she's down in the nitty gritty of people at their worst, fighting over post-it notes that are communal property bought during the marriage and other equally unbelievable (or perhaps all too believable for anyone who has weathered a contentious divorce) situations. Her colleagues are reasonably friendly, aside from Henry, the lone male associate in the department, and who is on the path to partner. Her boss, Lillian, comes across as a chum but only so long as the associates conform to her every wish, social or work-related. So once again Molly is just counting time until she hits her five year anniversary and the big bonus, which isn't to say that she's not conscientious and good at her job, because she is.

When Lillian sends Fern Walker, the ex-wife of a very wealthy, very powerful media mogul, to Molly she expects Molly to feed Fern a few platitudes, give her referrals to non-Bacon Payne lawyers, and get rid of her. But there's something about Fern and her desire to regain custody of the children whom her husband is systematically alienating from her, blocking her visitation and poisoning their young minds against her, that strikes a cord with Molly. So while she initially does as Lillian expects, when Fern tells her that no other lawyer will take her case either, Molly, before she completely understands what she's doing and driven by her memory of once before not intervening, agrees to represent Fern behind Lillian and Bacon Payne's backs. She sets up her own small company and devotes any spare time she has to working on Fern's case, knowing that she's risking everything personally and professionally to do what she knows is right.

Molly is a complex, strong, and likable character. Her motivations are well explored and explained and yet her decisions and feelings about Bacon Payne, while right for her, never condemn the other characters for working there or for not feeling towards the firm the same things that she feels. Her desire to do the right thing for Fern as the case progresses and her very real fear that she will be caught by Lillian or one of her other colleagues provides a nice tension to the plot. Her realization of what the case means for her personally and the greater import of what its outcome means for Fern is subtle and well done. There is a sweet and realistic romance here but the real focus is on Molly's self-realization and her eventual empowerment to live the life she wants without compromise. The outcome is never in any doubt but getting to the end is a delight nevertheless. This is grown up chick lit for people who want to read about others like themselves who are getting comfortable in their own skin beyond just in a romantic relationship. ( )
  whitreidtan | May 9, 2013 |

Breaking up is hard to do. At least the first few times.

Even though Molly Grant has only a handful of relationships behind her, she’s already been through more divorces than she can count.

At the premier Manhattan law firm where she’s a matrimonial attorney, the hours are long, the bosses tyrannical, and the bonuses stratospheric. Her clients are rich, famous, and used to getting their way. Molly’s job—and primary concern in life—is to work as hard as possible to make sure they do. Until she meets the client who changes everything….

Fern Walker is the desperate former wife of a ruthless media mogul. Her powerful ex is slowly pushing her out of her young children’s lives, and she fears losing them forever. Molly—haunted by an incident from her own past—finds herself unable to walk away from Fern and sets out to help her. She just needs to do it without her bosses finding out.

Now, as complications both professional and personal stack up, Molly can only hope that her own wits, heart, and instincts are enough—both in and out of court.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:28 -0400)

At the premier Manhattan law firm where Molly Grant is a matrimonial attorney, the hours are long, the bosses tyrannical, and the bonuses stratospheric. Her clients are rich, famous, and used to getting their way. Molly's job, and primary concern in life , is to work as hard as possible to make sure they do. Fern Walker is the desperate former wife of a ruthless media mogul. Her powerful ex is slowly pushing her out of her young children's lives, and she fears losing them forever. Molly, haunted by an incident from her own past, finds herself unable to walk away from Fern and sets out to help her. She just needs to do it without her bosses finding out.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,425,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible