Winter's End by Rebekah Lyn

Winter's End

by Rebekah Lyn

821,035,133 (4.5)None

Winter's End is the second book in Rebekah Lyn's Seasons of Faith series. In book 1 we meet Elizabeth Reynolds, Ian Cavanaugh, Jeffrey Robbins, Stephen Longbottom, and Michelle Burton. The first book's emphasis was on Elizabeth and those involved in her circumstances. By the conclusion of that book, Elizabeth and Ian had begun a new romantic relationship. Their story continues in this second book as a subplot where the author explores their growth individually and as a couple, while LIzzie and Ian are in Vermont on a ski trip with his parents and her adopted parents.

In the meantime, the main plot is split between Stephen and Michelle. While Lizzie is away on vacation, Stephen is in charge of their concierge team at Hotel Lago. He is professionally tested when he spends the weekend overseeing a particularly fussy group of executives on a business retreat. Michelle, on the other hand, had just experienced an exhilarating night with her rock band, only to arrive at her office job the next morning to discover a co-worker had been brutally murdered and left in one of the office's bathrooms. The three storylines, plus a subplot where the murder investigation moves forward in its own suspenseful timeline, weave and intertwine with each other in a similar manner to Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove series.

Then there's Jeffrey. He noticed Michelle was on the news because she was the one who discovered the body and called 911. Although their last time together was a disaster, he decided to call her to check on how she was dealing with the shock. They got together and she immediately noticed how he had changed. Eventually she discovered he had become a Christian. His presence helped her cope with her new fears. Their relationship is yet another subplot that will apparently continue in one of the future books in this series.

Winter's End gives readers a little bit of everything. Suspense quickens the pace when Detective Mike Emerson and his assistant try to hunt down the murderer while the evidence in fresh and before he strikes again. Good character work is evident as we learn how Lizzie and Ian's relationship is developing. Spiritual topics crop up naturally when Michelle's experience shakes her to the core. Jeffrey plays an important role in answering some of life's toughest questions. Continuity flows throughout the tale, connecting the books closely, allowing resolution in some relationships while anticipating how some other events will need to be resolved in the future.

I have noticed that the best way to read these books is to read them back to back to enjoy the story's flow. The first three books are already out. Another book will be coming out soon, in late 2015 or early 2016. I am looking forward to reading the next two books. If you enjoy Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove books and other author's works with a similar style of writing, then I recommend this book and the series to you. ( )
  Beverlylynnt | Nov 3, 2015 |
Winter’s End by Rebekah Lyn was just as enjoyable to read as the first book in the Season of Faith series. Stephen Longbottom is the acting concierge manager at the Hotel Lago while Lizzy is up in Vermont on a romantic vacation. One gets to wonder for a while just who she is with in Vermont. While Stephen is being driven to distraction by the demands of the board of directors of Silken Pleasures, a multimillion dollar company in New York, Lizzie is having a wonderful time learning to ski and being with the man she loves. Michelle Burton and her band, Tangled Web, have been trying for a very long time to break into the music field and finally they get to open for Wonderland in a club in down Orlando. The crowd goes wild for the band and when Michelle gets home she is too wound up to sleep so she decides to bake a batch of scones and go into work early. What had been the best night of her life quickly turned into the worse day of her life when she reached work and made a discovery. Jeff has become a Christian but is fighting the temptation to slip back into his old life. Ian, Emma, and Ron are also main characters in this second book. The ending of the book was heartwarming.

The plot, characters, dialogue, and action scenes were all very well developed by the author. I was on that ski slope with Lizzy and was also feeling Stephen’s stress as he dealt with unreasonable people. Rebekah has a knack to pulling the reader right into the story. This book has more romance than the first and there were some great scenes with Lizzy and her man. Don’t want to give away which guy she chose. There was also a good mystery woven through the book. God’s love and forgiveness and faith and hope are an important part of the book and are seen in the lives of all the characters. They all learn that after God forgives, then one must forgive herself or himself. The author had one of the characters explaining God’s love and forgiveness in a way that really caught my attention. “God works on us one piece at a time, like putting together a broken vase, because we are all broken when we come to Him. He works with patience and tenderness, fitting the pieces back together. Sometimes a piece needs extra time for the glue to dry so it will stay in place, but He will hold onto that piece until it does finally stick. So today one more piece of your vase has been repaired.”

I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes a well written romantic story with a good bit of mystery and that is also a Christian story. I definitely hope that Rebekah Lyn will write at least two more books in this series, Spring and Fall.

Thank you to the Author/Publicist for providing this book in exchange for an honest review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. ( )
  deanna13 | Apr 22, 2013 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,063,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible