The Tilted World by Tom Franklin

The Tilted World

by Tom Franklin

The Wettest County in the World by Matt Bondurant (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although The Tilted World depicts the 1927 Mississippi Delta and The Wettest County in the World is set in Virginia during the Great Depression, both dramatic, suspenseful, and gritty novels feature close-knit clans bound together by the family business: moonshine.… (more)

I definitely recommend this one. It's a love story but not a romance novel or "chick-lit". There's more to it than that. And it keeps a good pace throughout the whole book - it always kept me coming back. ( )
  lynnski723 | Dec 31, 2016 |
Very well written. The fact that a poet co-wrote this is very apparent, the words just flowed beautifully. ( )
  Half-elf28 | Jun 29, 2016 |
I confess that my favorite of Tom Franklin's novels remains his first, though that's as nostalgic a response as it is a critical one. But this thing has its own kind of magic, in places sentimental almost to the point of feeling saccharine or corny but goddamn, when the authors get sugar and corn they know how to make whiskey.

I've always loved Franklin and his wife/partner/collaborator Beth Ann Fennelly, as artists and as human beings, and on those rare occasions they might co-author a short story, their work together has been outstanding, all of Franklin's prose and all of Fennelly's poetry in each sentence. How thrilling to see here, in this novel, that they can sustain that literary alchemy over so long a project. I'll always look forward to their separate endeavors, but I sure as hell hope they write together again, too. ( )
  Snoek-Brown | Feb 7, 2016 |
It's odd, until last autumn I had never come across the Great Mississippi Flood of 1927; then I read Bill Bryson's book about that year and discovered how huge the scale of the devastation was. Now along comes this book set right in the flood's path. It is a tale of prohibition and bootlegging, of revenuers and moonshiner in a tiny Mississippi town with vividly drawn characters, whose back stories include Francs in World War One set amidst the ever growing threat of Ol' Miss and the rain that never stops. Brilliantly written this has at its core a love story which is moving and credible. I recommend it to everyone. ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |
In life, it is often difficult to choose between good and bad or even to decide where you stand on an issue. During prohibition, many former law abiding citizens became frequent customers of moonshiners. Often the moonshiner even became an integral member of the community. "The Tilted World" is set in the fictional small town of Hobnob Mississippi during the time of the real 1927 Mississippi River flood. It explores many facets of small town life during that era including the relationships between moonshiners, revenooers, sabotuers and other citizens. As the story unfolds, we find out about the long time friendship between two revenue agents, the love of a mother for her son both biological and adopted and romantic feelings that develop between a revenue agent and a moonshiner. The book is full of interesting small town characters. It was a very enjoyable read!

I received the book free in a giveaway. ( )
  jwood652 | Oct 21, 2015 |
For Nolan and Nat and Judith

In 1927, as the Mississippi River threatens to burst its banks and engulf all in its path, two federal revenue agents investigate the disappearance of two fellow agents on the trail of a local bootlegger.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,379,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible