Lover Undercover by Samanthe Beck

Lover Undercover

by Samanthe Beck

Not a bad read, but as a suspense, there could have been more suspense - it was rather light weight.
As a romance, I didn't really feel a connection between Trevor and Kylie other then lust; Kylie's deep seated "mother/sister" issues seemed to be in the way of the romance actually blooming, and allowing her to trust Trevor and herself. The story ended with a quick wrap up on the suspense angle, and within 10 months Kylie went from not being able to pay the rent to getting a small business loan - that’s quite an accomplishment – and by her side through it all, was Trevor, now offering the traditional HEA.
  kerbytejas | Mar 25, 2016 |
I don't know, maybe I needed a good romance with a bit of mystery, but I loved this book. Twins who pull a switch-a-roo and get mixed up in a homicide case? That's a good story just waiting to happen. Throw in a hot cop and it's a must read.
Kylie is essentially the good twin. She's sweet, innocent, and kind, but also brave when she decides to take over for her sister as a dancer in a men's club. She tries her best to do right for everyone else, but doesn't quite take to being helped in return. It's hard not to just like and sympathize for her.
Trevor is, of course, a cop who lives by the rules, but can't help but break some of those when it comes to this case. By working closely on this case he can't help but get closer to Kylie in the process. Which starts to cause some trust and emotional issues for Kylie.
This is a different yet lovely take on a cop/stripper relationship that has great characters, interesting plot, and a cute love story. A definite must read for those who want to read a romance with a bit more danger in the plot. ( )
  JosP | Mar 26, 2015 |
3.5 stars

I really, really loved Beck's debut novel [b:Private Practice|17413439|Private Practice|Samanthe Beck|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1361772129s/17413439.jpg|24259762], so I was excited to get started with this one.

From the beginning, it's clear the tone of this book was quite different from her first. We've got mystery and intrigue right off the bat, and I guess I did miss the light-hearted feel of Private Practice. I also missed the humor that I found in her debut novel.

For the most part, I enjoyed the heroine in this. I liked her quiet strength. However, I did not like one detail the author decided to include. I won't spoil it for others, but I really wondered why it had to be there at all.

The heroine's sister, on the other hand, I wasn't too fond of. I'm not sure I'd be interested in reading her story, should Beck decide to focus on that for a follow up novel.

I also really liked the hero in this one. Ms. Beck does have a way of writing swoony, strong, and drool-worthy heroes, and Trevor was no exception.

I'm bumping this up to 3.5 stars strictly based on the epilogue, because I was grinning by the end of it. ( )
  CreativeJunkie | Sep 23, 2013 |
This book was well written and funny. I loved the interaction between the main characters. There was a constant sizzle that kept you reading to find out what is going to happen next. The relationship between Kylie and Trevor was electric from the time that they first saw each other till the end of the book. I liked the way that the author was able to explain the scene so that I could actually see it in my mind. I am looking forward to reading more books by Samanthe Beck. ( )
  DawnGenna | Jun 6, 2013 |
This was a cute book--enjoyable, nice suspense, sweet romance--but on the whole it was a bit uneven. I liked Trevor a lot--a cute, sexy, thoughtful undercover cop who is hesitant to get involved with a person of interest in a homicide case, but is mostly okay with the girl he's interested in being a stripper. (Though of course he does hope she'll move on to something else soon, because he thinks she's bright and capable of so much more. And he offers his support, whatever she chooses. Good guy.)

It's the girl he's interested in who has the bigger problem with it.

She's only pretending, of course, because she's a twin and her twin, the real stripper, has a broken leg and is unable to work at the moment. Because Kylie's job as a yoga instructor pays far less than Stacy's as a stripper, Kylie's being both Kylie the yoga teacher and Stacy the stripper for six weeks.

So far, so good. Exhausting for Kylie, but good.

But Kylie's internal dialogue is constantly reinforcing the good twin/bad twin concept that the girls have grown up with since birth. Kylie has always stayed out of trouble, worked hard at everything she does, and is still a virgin. She's taken it upon herself to atone for everything her mother--and by projection, their family--has done "wrong" in the eyes of their hometown. Stacey is irresponsible, a slacker, and promiscuous. Stacy's always leaving her sister in the lurch.

Or so Kylie constantly says in her head. Yet Kylie willingly moved across the country to live with her, and it's Stacy's salary, not Kylie's that gives them a nice apartment to live in. It's Stacy who's working to allow Kylie to follow her dream of opening her own yoga studio someday, and we find out that Stacy's not just working as an exotic dancer, she's also pursuing her own goal of making it into show business someday. Kylie's judgmental attitude toward her tended to annoy me.

BUT...Kylie's moments of hypocrisy aside, I did enjoy reading this. It was a cute romance. Trevor was a fun hero, and his partner Ian was a riot. Stacy got her own HEA (which I would have liked reading more about.) Kylie had her moments, and the lap dances that Trevor had to "endure" all in the name of homicide investigation were fun to read. I'll definitely be looking for more by this author to read.

(I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review) ( )
1 vote beckymmoe | Apr 27, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,446,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible