Autumn (Dog Days) (Volume 1) by Sierra Dean

Autumn (Dog Days) (Volume 1)

by Sierra Dean

4.5/5
A quick, easy and very enjoyable read which reminded me of A Brightest Kind of Darkness series by P. T. Michelle. I was curious to see Sierra Dean get away from her usual genre of urban fantasy and try this one, but this is one of paranormal YA books done right. Nice, simple with no overblown drama and sensible main heroine. I'm very much looking forward to the next book, Winter, which comes out in December 2013. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Bubby says:There is a sense of tension throughout this whole story, even from the very beginning. You know that something is going to happen to Lou in this new town she’s going to. You know that something is hinky with Cooper and his mysteriously missing brother. And you know that there is something else going on but you just can’t put your finger on it. Until the end. The quite literally explosive end. Oh my.
Sissy says: This book is essentially a teaser, a trap to get you hooked into reading the whole series. You are introduced to the mystery, the curse, the watchers (we don’t really know much about them), the ghosts (yes! Creepy stuff that I hope becomes less creepy!), and the coyote curse (Very originally done, Ms Dean. No turning back and forth from human to animal like some werewolf or shapeshifter, but just a one way trip to coyote-hood. The end.). Read full review at www.bubblebathbooks.net ( )
  bubblebathbooks | Feb 21, 2014 |
This was a wonderful book. I feel so much for Cooper and what he is going through. I just want to hold him and tell him it will all work out. And what his mom and the Wyatt’s did was just atrocious I don’t care what they feel it’s wrong and horrid. Cooper didn’t deserve that and Lou definitely didn’t either.

Lou comes to Texas after a tragedy in her family forces her and her mom to go live with her Granny Elle. Granny Elle when you meet her is a hoot. Her feelings towards Cooper are not nice but other than that she is a hoot.

Cooper is one of the few that makes Lou feel like she will be okay and against everyone’s warning they become close. Cooper begins to feel there is hope and that with her anything is possible even getting out of the situation he is in. But alas adults butt in and this is taken for a loop that may have bad consequences. I hope not I want Cooper to have happiness and love and understanding. His mom showed it I thought but after what happened in the end I am not a fan of her. She definitely needs to redeem herself before I will think she is good.

The second book I hope will see Lou see that love will overcome the will of what has been done to her and Cooper come to fight for Lou. I hope to see that he won’t accept what has happened but be angry and fight even though he seems to be despondent about it in the end of the first book. FIGHT COOPER FIGHT BELIEVE IN LOU PLEASE. ( )
  littleduck | Jul 30, 2013 |
Well written., suspenseful and compulsive reading!

So how do you react when you see your dead father standing behind you in the mirror of a gross rest room at a gas station? Out in the middle of nowhere enroute to Texas and her paternal grandmother? You scream!
Lou (Eloise) is moving away from all she knows to a future that hardly seems stellar. This weird moment is all she needs to cap a move that she hates. Talk about 'horror movie right there on your TV' type realities.
Secrets surround the town of her father's birth and bizarre happenings stretching from the cursed past will become part of Lou's present.
Missing young men and coyotes are just part of a story that reaches back through generations. Lou's family, the Whittaker's being just one, intertwined with the Reynolds and the Wyatt's. Did I mention that Lou is attracted to Cooper Reynolds and being pursued by the attractive slightly threatening Archer Wyatt?
A suspenseful cliff hanger ending. I can't wait for the next novel!

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | Jul 14, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,676,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible