3 Gates of the Dead by Jonathan Ryan

3 Gates of the Dead

by Jonathan Ryan

206515,329 (3.94)None

I was given a free copy for an honest review.

This book was very engaging, even though Aiden seemed like an angsty emo whiner at first. He's a pastor with a faith crises. His ex fiancee is murdered and he is the number one suspect. The real killers are so obvious it's not funny. As soon as the head killer is introduced, your mind screams he's the one!

Even with its flaws, the book is pretty good, with local Ohio lore. I want the next book.

For animal lovers, Aiden crates his dog. Just FYI. ( )
  lesindy | Dec 4, 2014 |
Aidan is a young pastor who is questioning his faith. Add to that the death of his parents and being dumped by his fiance and Aidan is now without any anchor. When his ex-fiance is grusomely murdered, Aidan is the first suspect. He is quickly dismissed but he is determined to find the killer. Because there is definitely something otherworldly going on. Bare footprints appear in the snow and other creepy things that have him on the track of ...a demon?

This book is creepy scary. The kind that sort of gets under your skin. But it is really a book about faith, which I can stand when the supernatural is involved. The soul searching is kept pretty light but it is definitely there. So if that is not your thing, you may want to pass. But the book is very well written and the characters are so believeable that if you are on the fence, you might just give it a try. There is also action that keeps things moving along. There is going to be a second book. I'm excited. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Apr 28, 2014 |
3 GATES OF THE DEAD is a supernatural horror/thriller telling the story of a young pastor, Aiden who is having a crisis of faith and the journey he takes deciding whether or not he truly believes in God.
In the past couple years Pastor Aiden has lost both his parents and his fiance has left him for an older pastor in another church. As a result of this, he is really questioning his beliefs for the first time and is discussing this loss of faith as the story opens. Soon he gets a call and is off to the hospital to be with some sick parishioners. It is there in the hospital that Aiden has his first supernatural experience and passes it off as low blood sugar. The next morning he is on a farm for his second experience, but once again, even though others experience this one, he denies it. Not long after he gets a visit from the police who suspect him of murdering his ex-fiance. While figuring out who the real murderer is Aiden is introduced to God's authority, historical lore, magic, ghost hunting, supernatural attacks, exorcisms and betrayal from a friend.
The characters are well developed and believable. I especially liked the way the author introduces the supernatural into the story and discusses how we have tended to leave out this portion of religion in our lives, even though it is clearly mentioned in scripture. He makes us see the different ideas we have about religion as well as the different types of Christians today making us reconsider our own beliefs and see Doubting Thomas through new eyes. ( )
  Teritree001971 | Jan 14, 2014 |
I think many of us can relate to the main character, Aidan, and his struggles with faith. If not, then the depth of Aidan's personality should qualify him as relatable.

I was surprised to see how much attention was given to the rest of the characters. Even if the book went long periods of time without any interaction from a certain character, you could still probably imagine what they were doing in their life from former details. In fact, so much detail was given, I was scared something bad was going to happen to every single one of them. I guess I've read too much of George R.R. Martin's work.

I wasn't crazy about some of the dialogue, especially between Aidan and his college buddy who he spent time chatting with on the Internet, but I understand sometimes you have to have that interaction or else it would just be the main character talking to himself in his head for, like, five pages. There was also a pet peeve of all the other characters repeating for Aidan to "be careful" to the point where it was as annoying as a fly buzzing around my nose.

One thing I cannot complain about, though--it was well-written! I loved the imagery and how effortlessly the words seemed to flow. It helped me to have a picture of the crime scenes in my mind as the characters went on this scavenger hunt of sorts. I wanted so badly to figure the mystery out with them (or before them). And I have to say...I love it when a book can give me goosebumps. I haven't read anything with even a hint of the supernatural or anything related to horror lately, but this book--a mixed genre of theology and suspense--really took me for a spin.

*I received a free copy of this book from the publisher. ( )
  taletreader | Dec 5, 2013 |
Assistant pastor Aidan Schaeffer is questioning his faith and those around him. During this turmoil, he is drawn into a supernatural serial murder investigation.

The flaws of the characters, in part, make them more realistic and more likeable or unlikeable, as the character and situation dictate. Also watching the characters deal with their flaws, and as at least in the example of the main character, try to deal and come to terms with his crisis/flaws, character development is presented.

The dialogue is varied and typically rich in personality.

Narrative is vividly detailed with thrilling action.

Overall, an exciting ride! ( )
  catya77 | Sep 15, 2013 |

After learning that his ex-fianc‚ee is the first victim in a string of ritualistic killings, Aidan Schaeffer, a young assistant pastor, throws himself into the murder investigation. Aidan is conflicted by his faith, tormented by demonic threats, and haunted by spirits. Supernatural forces have begun to attack the people around him, and as the gruesome rituals escalate, ancient hidden secrets and an evil long buried threaten to rip Aidan's world apart.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,363,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible