The Fall of the Governor: Part One by Robert…

The Fall of the Governor: Part One

by Robert Kirkman, Jay Bonansinga (Author)

So, while [b: The Rise of the Governor|10869746|Rise of the Governor (The Walking Dead #1)|Robert Kirkman|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1366212058s/10869746.jpg|16460463] was a good book and [b: The Road to Woodbury|13538757|The Road to Woodbury (The Walking Dead #2)|Robert Kirkman|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1366252376s/13538757.jpg|19101107] was decent, [b: The Fall of the Governor|17286685|The Fall of the Governor Part One (The Walking Dead #3)|Robert Kirkman|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1388194692s/17286685.jpg|24243586] just... didn't work for me. The previous two books had something new to contribute to the Governor's story, or that of the Woodbury survivors. While I wish [b: The Road to Woodbury|13538757|The Road to Woodbury (The Walking Dead #2)|Robert Kirkman|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1366252376s/13538757.jpg|19101107] had more adequately shown the shift in Woodbury to something more akin to a dystopia than a pleasant little town, at least it offered something in the way of explanation. This book, however, didn't.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that this book was wholly unnecessary as all it truly did was retell the story in the graphic novels.

The rushed feel of [b: The Road to Woodbury|13538757|The Road to Woodbury (The Walking Dead #2)|Robert Kirkman|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1366252376s/13538757.jpg|19101107] is present here in force. Phrases that previously made me roll my eyes now produced cringes. "Neck cords" "inchoate" "cerebrospinal fluid" and overall wearing "walkers dominate the story. While I like the idea of Walking Dead tie in books, I just don't understand how far off the mark this and the previous one hit. All they needed to do was to continue to tell the story from the Governor's perspective, right?

I've only one more left before I dive back into the graphic novels, so I guess I'll continue but. Man. What a disappointment. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
The upkeep and brutal treatment at Woodbury continues with The Governor in charge. While most of the citizens are unaware that they have a sociopath as a leader, those closer to the man are getting ample proof of how he provides things like safety and entertainment to the town. His inhumane treatment of three newcomers, Rick, Glenn and especially Michonne, allows some to prove they will go along with The Governor no matter what, while others are appalled.

The previous book in the series, The Road To Woodbury, was pretty slow. This book is focused on The Governor and his absolute rule over Woodbury, so a lot going on at once, and a lot of brutality. This book contains a long step-by-step torture scene which is probably the most graphic I've ever read, but then I don't read a lot of violent books. ( )
  mstrust | Oct 14, 2017 |

review 4.4 Holy much deserved revenge, what a freaking glorious ending? for The Gov, ! ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Not as good as the first two. It's also much shorter. It gives a viewpoint from the other side and from other characters than in the graphic novels. All of these are filling in the details from the graphic novels, so they're definitely worth the read.
  Schlyne | Nov 12, 2015 |
This is the third in the non-graphic-novel series of books. I do not read graphic novels so have not followed the story line of The Walking Dead in the “comics” but I do watch the television series and I am assuming that these books are a combination of the two? I could be wrong!

This book was a quick and easy read. Good thing because I bought it as a Christmas gift for my daughter and it’s getting pretty close to wrapping time. (Oh don’t shake your head at me … like you’ve never bought a book for a gift and read it first?)

Back to the review – The previous two books in the series seemed to contain a little more background on where the characters came from and how the Governor got to be “The Governor”. This one seemed to drag situations out a little more than necessary and often seemed repetitive as well. Much of it felt like “filler”. Although these books are not a “recap” of the television series this one did flesh out some of the characters a little for me. (Yes pun fully intended.) True to Mr. Kirkman’s style of sparing no one, there is a shockingly surprising death in this book too. Ending on a definite cliff-hanger it also necessitates readers to buy the next book (available in March 2014). My opinion – it would have been a more satisfactory read if it had been done in one book. As a fan of the television show and having enjoyed the previous two books, this one was a bit of a disappointment.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |

Robert Kirkmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bonansinga, JayAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

The Governor's complex story continues in a tour de force of action and horror. Iconic characters from the comic book, including Rick, Michonne and Glenn, finally make their entrance onto this nightmarish stage, and fans of The Walking Dead will see these characters in a whole new light.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,231,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible