Breakers by Edward W. Robertson
203757,794 (3.88)1

What I liked:

Apocalypse on two levels: Most of the world’s population is killed off by a very aggressive disease. We watch its progression through the eyes of the main characters. Just when you think this is a story about the world descending into anarchy, the aliens arrive.

A clever means to an end: The aliens in this book are not an overwhelming race of apex predators, for a change. Their invasion is based on cunning rather than military strength. In some ways, it’s similar to the way countries were colonised by the European nations centuries ago.

Humanity laid bare: Walt is a jerk in some ways, but he’s also a realist and his introspective moments make for an interesting view on the human species. While there will always be people willing to cooperate towards a shared goal, there will also be those who seek only to further their own agenda. This is played out on a personal level in this book.

What I didn’t like:

Uncertain motivation: I found it strange that the three main characters decide to stick together without any preamble. As a reader, I was waiting for the moment they’d meet and hoping they’d join up somehow, but I found the execution unrealistic.

I don't often read books set in an apocalypse scenario, but I enjoyed this one. Breakers tells quite a poignant tale. I didn't like Walt much at first, but he's such a fascinating personality that it more than makes up for that. ( )
  ChaosCaitlin | May 23, 2017 |
A mysteriously illness overcomes the US and leads to the breakdown of society. Then after struggling to make sense of the loss of a majority of the population, it's disclosed that it was part of a bigger plan and that a rebellion must be formed. Really fun sci-fi with some touching moments and interesting personal dynamics. ( )
  Bricker | Aug 16, 2015 |
ABR's full Breakers audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

For an apocalyptic where the reader gets to see the devastation and destruction WHILE it is happening, this was a bit slow. Time moves really weirdly. One minute seems like forever and it is difficult to know how much time the characters go through. Months go by but there is no real indication of when or where it went.

The characters were quite brilliant though. I really enjoyed how they went about surviving. Even knowing that this is probably the apocalypse and getting their stuff together. It’s fabulous. It is also what would happen in the real world. The only downside was that it was difficult to tell the two main characters, Walt and Raymond, apart. So much so that it took me a minute when the story skipped back and forth at the beginning. This does fix itself as the story goes on, fortunately. Or maybe I just got more into the characters and could tell their own stories apart. Either way, it got better.

The narration was great for this. Ray Chase has a way of really inducing intensity into his voice. It’s entertaining and brings that intensity to portions of the plot that are not even that intense. Deep and gravelly, perfect for this type of story. Audio produciton was perfection!

I loved the pop culture references and jokes. We would all do it. It’s a huge part of reducing stress for some. That or kill other people, I guess. I’d prefer telling jokes. Sometimes they went a bit too far but I was with the story enough at that point that it did not bother me too much.

The sci fi portion threw me though. There’s a twist that I did enjoy reading, but I needed a little more. Overall it was good, but not fabulous.

Audiobook provided for review by the publisher. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Apr 11, 2015 |
Viruses, aliens, rebels. This gritty book takes us through the first days of life after universal anonymity. We follow two main stories, one from the west coast, one from the east.

Robertson starts with characters who we don’t like much and helps us understand that heroes are not always found in the ‘good guy’ department of humanity.

A bit like a dark Independence Day, it is the first of a series.Unknown ( )
  Perrywilson | Dec 22, 2014 |
I read the first three books in the series (packaged deal) and could NOT stop reading! I love the way the Author writes and the characters that we love (or hate). I just started reading the 4th book in the series. Can't wait to see what happens! ( )
1 vote RosanneE | Mar 14, 2014 |
If he'd known the world had already started to end, Raymond would have kept the drugs for himself.

In New York, Walt Lawson is about to lose his girlfriend Vanessa. In Los Angeles, Raymond and Mia James are about to lose their house. Within days, none of it will matter.

When Vanessa dies of the flu, Walt is devastated. But she isn't the last. The virus quickly kills billions, reducing New York to an open grave and LA to a chaotic wilderness of violence and fires. As Raymond and Mia hole up in an abandoned mansion, where they learn to function without electricity, running water, or neighbors, Walt begins an existential walk to LA, where Vanessa had planned to move when she left him. He expects to die along the way.

Months later, a massive vessel appears above Santa Monica Bay. Walt is attacked by a crablike monstrosity in a mountain stream. The virus that ended humanity wasn't created by humans. It was inflicted from outside. The colonists who sent it are ready to finish the job--and Earth's survivors may be too few and too weak to resist.

The Breaker series:
Novella: Outcome
Book 1: Breakers
Book 2: Melt Down
Book 3: Knifepoint
Book 4: Reapers
Book 5: Cut Off

Edward W. Robertson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,139,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible