Melt Down by Edward W. Robertson

This was the 2nd book in the Breakers series. It's told from new characters points of view in another area of the country. Just as good as the first book and there is a brief scene where we see scenes from the first book where characters cross paths. We also find out a little more about why the aliens came. All in all anther good book in the series. ( )
  Verkruissen | Aug 12, 2017 |
ABR's original Melt Down audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

This is a lot like the first book. Different characters but the same scenario.

The audio was in perfect condition and I loved the narration of this. Ray Chase is a fantastic narrator! I have listened to quite a few of his books and I just cannot get over how much emotion he puts into his work.

That said, it was not my favorite. The characters are good but the first book I thought was slow and this was painful for me. The story is there, the characters are there, but I just wanted the plot to move along already! Since I already know what is going to happen I was hoping for a bit more in this one.

Also like the first book, the characters are very real. That is the fun part of reading apocalyptic books; getting to see how the characters will react. However, in this one again, I’m not much of a fan of the characters. I loved the characters in the last one but some of these characters just make me want to scream. The things they do… it’s amazing that some of them make it. Still, they have depth and many of them are just not heroes and do not try to do heroic things. This is true to how things would really work! So, that aspect I really enjoyed.

The back and forth and constant stopping the story is also frustrating to me. I do want the story to move along so when there is a pause, almost like a commercial break, I want to put the book down. I do understand why authors do this, a teaser so to speak, but with such a slow plot adding in teasers can be a deal breaker for readers.

All in all, these can be read in any order. This one does not need to be read second.

Audiobook provided for review by the publisher. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Sep 28, 2015 |

This is a lot like the first book. Different characters but the same scenario.

Audiobook provided for review by the publisher. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Sep 28, 2015 |
The Breakers Series by Edward W. Robertson is an absolutely captivating, original, character-filled, compelling post-apocalyptic tale. The world building is detailed, so believable as to be completely transparent and absorbing. The logic of what has happened to end the world (a plague) fits together nicely, with no wrong steps or weird missing facts. It is chillingly realistic.

Then, each book in the series introduces a new set of characters and follows them as they navigate through the apocalyptic world. Mr Robertson has a knack for showing his characters as deeply flawed people, but leading the reader to come to understand and respect (if not like) them -- even the most socially retarded and selfish ones. Each book concentrates upon several of these characters, but is filled with interesting secondary characters who are also well drawn out and multi-dimensional. And, in what I considered a bonus gift, characters from the earlier novels appear or are referenced in later books. This constant weaving together threads from different novels reinforces the overall story (of a world collapsed, with survivors fighting for their lives) and somehow makes it more believable and real.

I hope that Mr. Robertson will continue writing these books forever and ever. If you haven't discovered this series yet you are in for a treat. Start at the beginning so you can experience the complete story fully. Then join me in asking for more books in the series!

Book 2, Meltdown, introduces us to Tristan & her little brother as well as Ness and his big brother. Tristan and Ness shared the common trait of being completely unlikely pre-apocalypse, and both matured and came into their own once they were faced with events. Excellent continuation of the story. ( )
  cmwilson101 | Dec 7, 2013 |
Meltdown is the second book in Robertson's Breakers series. So ensure you read Breakers first, a funny, scary, thoughtful sci-fi take on the apocalypse, and answers the question, what would ordinary people do to survive, how would they change. What really makes us happy, is it T.V, Netflix, good job; or if those were gone would we be happier with time with loved ones?

Meltdown's timeline runs parallel to Breakers, so we get to meet two more characters trying to deal with their normal problems until a mysterious plague starts making people sick and everything changes.

I really enjoyed this sequel. It was't quite as funny as the first simply because the characters were more flawed, damaged and had less to laugh about, but they still did come up with some good lines.

Take what Tristan, thinks of Jack, a character from New Zealand:

"Jack may not be your skin wearing crazy but she worried he spoke a form of English only he could understand."

There needs to be a word, maybe German as they are so good at those words, for the small thrill one receives from hearing their tiny country mentioned in an American book.

Ultimately, Meltdown deals with the themes of family, specifically what would you do for your sibling during the apocalypse. How would a toxic relationship change when you don't have modern life distracting you from what's important.

Tristan, the main character must go on a long journey, both to discover how hard she can become to rescue her younger brother. Ness, the second main character in his own intertwined story, must discover his own mettle, and realize his own abilities to both save him and his older brother. ( )
  wifilibrarian | May 13, 2013 |

In upstate Idaho, Ness Hook is run out of his mom's house by his bullying brother Shawn. In Redding, California, Tristan Carter is graduating college, but with no job and no prospects, she'll have to move back in with her parents.

Then the world ends: first with a virus, then with an alien invasion.

Ness and Shawn take to the mountains to fight a guerrilla war against the attackers. In California, Tristan and Alden are taken prisoner. Separated from her brother, Tristan crosses the ruins of America to track him down. She will stop at nothing to get Alden back--but her fellow survivors prove even more dangerous than the monsters who broke the world.

Edward W. Robertson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,935,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible