Cocktail Hour by Tara McTiernan

Cocktail Hour

by Tara McTiernan

This is the story of five women women Chelsea, Bianca, Lucie, Kate and Sharon who become friends, or so they think. Chelsea and Bianca are friends from high school who have a very dysfunctional relationship. Chelsea knows Lucie and Sharon through work and has invited them out for drinks along with Bianca, who has met Kate and invited her to the girls' night out or Cocktail Hour. What I love about this book is that it is written from the perspective of each of the women allowing for the author to both develop good characterization as well as allowing the reader to know from the beginning that one of the woman had an agenda that had nothing to with friendship and to see into the reasoning of an evil woman. I also enjoyed the end of Chelsea's story and glad the author didn't give her a typical happy-ever-after ending. The reason I only gave the book 3 stars was because of all the question marks in the story. I'm blaming it on bad editing however if this was the authors intention I would change my rating to 2 stars. It was distracting to say the least and reminded me of high school students. I'm going to look for the paperback version at the library to see if the question marks are in hardcover as well. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
At the time that Tara McTiernan asked me to read and review her newest story, I was working in Fairfield County. CT, so this book was fun and interesting to me. I knew many of the spots that she wrote about and many of the characters featured in her book, I could easily corrolate with someone that I knew in my real life, so that made the book that much more enjoyable for me.

I've always been a huge fan of chick-lit, and every once in a while I crave the girly, fashion-fueled, drama fests that are chick-lit novels, and I think when I read this one I wasn't in that mindset, which ultimately lead me to take a really long time to get through this book. It wasn't that it was bad AT ALL, but this book is so much more then a typical Chick-lit story, It was deeper then that, and had some real substance to it.

Although it took me a lot longer then it normally does to get through a book, I still really enjoyed this book in the end, it was fun and light-hearted at times, but serious and heart-felt in others, and if you are a fan of womens fiction or chick-lit I think you would really enjoy this story.

* I did receieve this book from the Author for free to read and review. The thoughts and opinions in this review are my own. ( )
  LauraMoore | Feb 24, 2014 |
This book takes you to many dark corners that your usual chick lit inspired read does not. Five women who will surprise and entertain you. Each character brings an intensity to the over all story. While each story develops their true selves become brighter and stronger pulling you into a very intricate web of friendship and deceit. One of my favorite endings!

I received a copy for an honest review. ( )
  LiteraryChanteuse | Sep 18, 2013 |
Cocktail Hour is an intriguing story about five very different women in uber-rich Fairfield County, Connecticut, who enjoy each other’s company and discuss their hopes and dreams during couple of cocktails.

Kate, Sharon, Lucie, Chelsea and Bianca all knew each other for years and even with their busy lives they still managed to always find time for each other. Being all together made them feel better and they trusted each other. But none of the women ever knew what a back-stabbing b*tch Bianca was. With her evil but genius mind she goes out of her way to get what she wants. And Bianca will get everything she wants, even if it’s dangerous and will ruin their friendship.

OMG this book was absolutely incredible!!! I was always a fan of chick lit but Cocktail Hour is way beyond what I ever imagined it would be. I was really impressed with every single character that the author executed and Bianca was one of those people that you hope you don’t have in your life. Every women had different attitudes and personality and it was interesting to see how all-through the book their struggles and frustrations were starting to come out and how different they have become.

McTiernan is a very powerful and talented writer. Every word drew me in and before I knew it, I was always couple of chapters in. Cocktail Hour is a well-written and incredibly entertaining read that’s perfect for this summer. Every fan of chick lit that likes a little spice in their books – This is a MUST read for you!
  SpicedLatte | Aug 1, 2013 |
Cocktail Hour is an intriguing story that revolves around five very different women, who form a cocktail-clique in chic Fairfield County, Connecticut. This eclectic group of women come together for a weekly night of relaxation, socializing, and sharing of what's going on in their lives. While their lives intertwine and a bond of friendship forms, it is overshadowed by the clever and smooth deception of one of them who is a dangerous sociopath. What starts out as a weekly girls night out for cocktail hour turns out to be more than just girlfriends getting together ...

Author Tara McTiernan pulls out all the stops in this dramatic and suspenseful tale written in the third person narrative that alternates between the perspectives of the five women who form the cocktail-clique. The reader is immediately drawn into the lives of Bianca, Lucie, Chelsea, Sharon and Kate. The author cleverly alternates between the individual women's stories with chapters named after their favorite drink: Mojito (Bianca), Chardonnay (Lucie), Strawberry Daiquiri (Chelsea), Vodka Martini (Sharon) and Corona (Kate). The chapters flows smoothly in this fast pace riveting tale, the author does a great job of providing backstories on each of the women and intertwining it with the current issues in their lives, all the while steadily building anticipation with every dramatic twist and turn of Bianca's warped schemes to get what she wants at the cost of the other four women.

The characters are all realistic, strong, down-to-earth, fun-loving yet flawed bunch of women, except Bianca who is in a class of her own. It is easy to relate to each of the women, they all are living their lives with issues to overcome and dreams they want to pursue, but they unwittingly get drawn into the deceitful web of a clever sociopath who is very smooth, engaging and appealing. There is no end to Bianca's deviousness, from a subtle catty behavior to her dangerous scheming, she preys on and exposes the weaknesses of the other four women to her warped and twisted advantage. Bianca is the type of woman that everyone loves to hate, and who wouldn't blame them?! This story makes one think about their friends ... there is always one in the crowd that is "out there" ... but if you can't trust your friends, then who can you trust? hmmm....

The author does a wonderful job of creating a storyline that is filled with family and friendship dynamics, drama, suspense, love, loss, romance and betrayal. She easily weaves a tale that is emotionally charged and has so many intriguing twists and turns that the reader better buckle up for one heck of a wicked roller coaster ride.

Cocktail Hour is a compelling and thoroughly engrossing story that will leave the reader pondering about their own friendships.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author in exchange for my honest review.

http://jerseygirlbookreviews.blogspot.com/2013/05/cocktail-hour-by-tara-mc-tiern... ( )
  JerseyGirlBookReview | May 8, 2013 |

Tara McTiernan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,389,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible