The Plain of Jars by N Lombardi Jr

The Plain of Jars

by N Lombardi Jr

142683,257 (5)None

We've all heard of the saying 'Don't judge a book by it's cover'.....well for Plain of Jars i am saying, "don't judge a book by it's length". Don't take a look and see the over 600 pages and be intimidated. PLEASE. I promise that the pages will fly by without you even noticing, i promise that the story will have you so captivated that hours will pass in a matter of moments as you read, i promise that you will agree with me when you are done!

Dorothy Kozeny has received the ashes of her son from Vietnam and mourns her loss. She later learns that noooo....she was deceived, intentionally. And she makes the monumental decision to travel there on her own to find the truth.
Let the saga begin... Descriptions and details so real that you will feel her emotions, see the landscape thru her eyes, be sad, hold your breath, smile at the goodness in some people and be disgusted with others. And in the end,as it all comes together you will understand, exhale and simply say WOW!

I remember praying that the 'war' would be over before my older brother got drafted. I remember a vietnam vet that i once cared for, that returned so damaged from what he lived and what he saw that he was incapable of normal emotions. I wish i could embrace each vet and thank them for what they gave up, and give them each the appreciation they never received. I wish there was NO Vietnam.....i wish i wish i wish...
  linda.marsheells | Oct 21, 2013 |
Although, I have never been to Laos, the author of "The Plain of Jars" made me feel as though I had been there; experiencing the realization of the tragic devastation that the people of Laos have endured during and after the war.
N. Lombardi Jr.'s book is fast paced, yet excruciatingly detailed in accounts of the bombardment, and inhumane attacks on the villages in Laos which has the readers sympathizing with the Laotians.
This book also has its readers empathize with an American woman, Dorothy Kozeny, a mother who has been told that her only child has died in battle.
As the details about what had happened to him were sketchy, she decides to go to Laos on her own to unravel the mystery of her son's true demise. Again the author cleverly plays on the readers sympathy and we are drawn into her plight and are rooting for her success. We begin to share her emotional despair.
Another well written character is Kampeng, Dorothy's Laotian guide. His kindness shows true when he is willing to do anything she asks of him and proves his determination in seeing that Dorothy's questions will be answered.
Although, there are other great characters in the story, my personal favorites are Dorothy and Kampeng. They both illustrate the qualities of true camaraderie, mixed with courage, friendship, loyalty, and devotion.
I highly recommend this historical novel to readers not only because it is an enjoyable read but because it opens the doors to factual events about the war in Laos that most people never knew or believed had occurred. ( )
  Sarracco | May 27, 2013 |

N Lombardi Jr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,675,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible