Ruins by Dan Wells

I liked this book/series. There are some flaws in logic, but it's an entertaining and engaging series. I didn't like how the romance was wrapped up and i think the ending was a little abrupt. Otherwise, i like it.

*Review written on December 10, 2014.* ( )
  danaenicole | Nov 11, 2016 |
The Partial army is occupying East Meadow. They are broadcasting a message demanding the surrender of Kira Walker. Until they have Kira, they will execute one person every day. Their leader Dr. Morgan believes that Kira's DNA will solve Partial expiration. The human resistance has recovered a nuclear warhead from a sunken navy destroyer. The resistance is taking the bomb to the Partial homeland. Both sides believe they have no other choice. They are only trying to survive.

Meanwhile, Kira has been trying to solve the problem of Partial expiration and find a way to make the cure for RM available to all babies. Kira agreed to let Dr. Morgan perform any tests on her in the hopes that she holds an important solution in her DNA. Kira is desperate to find the answer before both sides destroy each other. She is determined to find a way for humans and Partials to peacefully coexist.

My opinion
At the end of Fragments, I was filled with questions. The Trust had a plan to force the Partials and humans to live in peace. They designed it so that they would need each other to survive. Their plans were well-intentioned, but the situation quickly progressed and got out of control. I was anxious to see how the various story lines would play out and to find out who would survive.

This was a cool series. I liked that the main focus of this story wasn't the love triangle. The story is about what it means to be human. It touches on issues of discrimination and acceptance, what people are willing to do to survive and how war brings out the best and worst in people.

I loved this series. It was easy to read and exciting. Anyone who enjoys dystopian fiction should try reading this. It is appropriate for ages pre-teen to adult. ( )
  Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |

[Cross-posted to Knite Writes]

Plot

Picking up where Fragments left off, Kira is in the hands of Dr. Morgan, who runs a series of painful tests on her in the hopes of finding the cure for Partial expiration. When that amounts to nothing, Kira decides run off on her own and go looking for the other Partial factions in the hopes of bringing them together to test her ingenious theory for the cure: if the Partials breathe out the cure to RM, then maybe the humans breathe out the cure for expiration!

Incredible. It’s so simple! Funny the smartest scientists in the world, who designed the Partials and RM, couldn’t figure that out in a decade and a half. Nope. Took a teenager to do it.

Anyway, at the same time Kira is gallivanting around in Partial territory, the humans of New York are under siege. Marcus and co. are trying to hunt down Delarosa, who’s planning to set off a nuke to kill 80% of the Partials. The other humans are being quietly evacuated in case Delarosa succeeds. At the same time, the Partial army is still hanging around, shooting and capturing people.

Also at the same time, back in the Denver Preserve, Samm frees the comatose Partials from Vale’s lab and finds out that they’ve survived past their expiration date, confirming Kira’s theory about the humans and Partials coexisting to cure both diseases. Of course, Samm has no clue what Kira’s doing, so he forms a group and heads back east to tell everybody about the cure.

Kira accidentally gets herself captured by a group of modified Partials (they have gills) called the Ivies, who work for some guy dubbed “the Blood Man.” The Blood Man goes around chopping off fingers and then draining people of their blood for some strange reason. Kira escapes from the Ivies with a Partial prisoner named Green, and the two of them meet up with another group of Morgan’s Partials…

…Just in time to watch a giant monster dude die as he discusses how he’s fixed the broken global climate. Turns out he’s Jerry Ryssdal, the Trust member, who spent the last decade and a half trying to bring the environment back into balance. He succeeded. It starts to snow in New York for the first time in forever, and everybody gets really nervous about how quickly the temperature drops.

Soon, New York is an icy, snowy wasteland.

Kira and her new Partial friends meet up with Marcus and co., but before they get far enough south, Delarosa blows the nuke, killing most of the remaining Partials and enraging what’s left of the Partial army, which is now trying to hunt the human refugees down. Kira gathers the human stragglers, and the group try to beat the Partial army to where the rest of the human species has gone.

There’s some fighting, and then Samm and friends show up at a convenient moment. Samm allows himself to be captured so he can tell the army General, Shon, about the dual RM-expiration cure, and Shon agrees to a meeting with Kira to discuss the situation. (Yes, Kira, a teenage girl who now speaks the human race…and she isn’t even human.)

However, their meeting is interrupted by the Blood Man, aka Armin Dhurvasula, Kira’s “father,” who’s collecting blood “samples” from as many humans and Partials as he can get in order to build a master race to replace the humans and Partials once they inevitably all die off. Kira is somewhat miffed about this, as is everyone else.

When Armin freezes all the Partials in place using his link control powers, Heron is the only one who can stop him. Apparently she’s some special Partial model called a Theta who doesn’t have to take orders. She fights him to the death, and both of them fall.

Kira and Shon then agree to a truce, and the rest of the Partial army does, too, when they see that Green survived his expiration thanks to exposure to the human refugees.

Kira and the refugees and the Partial army all head happily hand in hand toward where the rest of the human race is hiding. And guess what? At the last moment, Ariel, Nandita, and everyone else important Kira’s been missing shows up at their exact location.

There’s a tearful reunion.

And that’s it. That’s the end.

My Take

What happened to this series? The first book in this trilogy was great! The second book was pretty good. And this one was plain awful.

I don’t understand how this happened. I really don’t.

I suppose I’ll just catalogue all my issues in order of when I noticed them.

First off, there were way too many POVs in this story. WAY too many. There were so many POVs that by the time I got back around to one person after going through them all, I had forgotten what that person was doing. And there didn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to the POV usage. Some characters had more prominent roles than others, sure, but seemingly random characters we had never met before ended up with POV roles, and they didn’t even do anything substantial to progress the plot. They were there solely to show the reader what was happening in places the reader wouldn’t otherwise see.

And this was a mistake, in my opinion, because frankly, most of the information from those POVs wasn’t necessary. Cutting it out wouldn’t have resulted in any confusion. Adding it, in fact, created confusion because I wasn’t sure why all these characters were suddenly tossed into the mix, and they didn’t contribute to my overall understanding of the plot.

The POV issue also created a terrible timeline problem. Because there were so many POVs, it was impossible to follow one character’s story through and through, so there were large time gaps between a lot of scenes…that were totally unannounced. Sometimes, it mentioned that “such and such event was so many days ago” somewhere in the middle of the chapter. Sometimes, you just had to figure it out yourself. And I was plain lost on occasion. I got back around to some characters and was completely confused because the makeup of so-and-so’s group had changed and they were in a different place than when I’d left them…and it turns out the last chapter they were in took place WEEKS ago.

Add these problems in to the actual plot of the story, and…

I had so many problems with the plot of this story.

First off, I find it so hard to believe that Kira can figure things out that many, many people who should be way smarter than her can’t. Also, the solution to the main problem in this story is so OBVIOUS, and Kira is the only one who “gets it.” I just…my belief in the plausibility of Kira’s abilities versus everyone else’s just eroded to almost zero over the course of this book.

Secondly, random last-minute antagonist alert! I’m not going to spoil it, but it annoyed me so bad that the ending of this book literally came down an eleventh-hour antagonist who came out of NOWHERE and stuck around just long enough for the protagonists to reach a resolution. What a freaking cop out!

Third, underdeveloped plot threads that dropped out of the sky. There were at least important two I can think of off the top of my head. One of them was a deus ex machina, that, of course, was involved in the battle against the last-minute antagonist.

Fourth, the plot of this book was just plain dense, and it felt like half the material in this book should have been in Fragments, to replace all that drawn-out journey stuff I complained about.

Fifth, the heap of helpful contrived coincidences. I mean, really? Everybody shows up at the exact right moment? Back to back to back to keep the ball rolling? And it happened so many times in the final 100 pages that I wanted to chuck the book out the window.

Sixth, and finally, the ending sucked. It just…plain sucked. There’s a climax, and then the book ends a few pages later. There’s no real resolution. The battle ends and it just…stops. It read like there were three or four chapters missing from the end of the book, and I was not happy that I didn’t get to see how ANY of the issues that this entire trilogy was about were resolved. Not a single one.

I’m rarely angry when I finish a book. Content? Most of the time. Disappointed? Sometimes. But angry? Almost never.

But this time, I’m angry. The setup of this series promised the answers to huge questions, and never answered them. And there is nothing that riles me up more than when a book doesn’t deliver on its promises.

Writing

See the POV issues above. I have no other comments on the writing quality.

Is It Worth Reading?

No. If you’ve read the other two, you might as well read this one just to finish the trilogy. But I would not recommend the series as a whole based on the quality of this book. And that’s a pity because the first two books weren’t bad.

2.5/5

ClaraCoulson | Nov 16, 2015 |
Diese und weitere Rezensionen findet ihr auf meinem Blog Anima Libri - Buchseele

Mit „Ruinen“ bringt Dan Wells seine „Partials“-Trilogie zu einem rundherum gelungenen Abschluss. Schon mit den ersten beiden Teilen, „Aufbruch“ und „Fragmente“, konnte mich der Autor nach etwas anfänglicher Skepsis voll und ganz überzeugen und meine Erwartungen an den Abschluss der Serie waren dementsprechend hoch – und wurden nicht enttäuscht!

Auch wenn es schon über ein Jahr her war, dass ich den zweiten Teil gelesen habe, es war wirklich leicht wieder in diese Geschichte hinein zu finden, denn „Ruinen“ ist so aufgebaut, dass man ausreichend über die bisherigen Handlungen und die Hintergründe erfährt, sodass der Roman fast auch allein stehend gelesen werden kann. So ist es wirklich ein Leichtes schon nach wenigen Seiten in die Geschichte einzutauchen und sich ins Abenteuer fallen zu lassen.

Und ein Abenteuer ist es wirklich! Denn statt eine Geschichte zu erzählen, die sich lange hinzieht und nur langsam in Schwung kommt, um dann in einem finalen Showdown zu münden, enthüllt der Autor nach und nach immer wieder einzelne Geheimnisse und hält damit die Spannung das gesamte Buch über hoch. Außerdem – und das war in meinen Augen definitiv eins der besten Elemente dieses Romans – erörtert Dan Wells hier diverse Fragestellungen rund um Leben und Krieg, die allesamt auch einen gewissen Realitätsbezug haben.

Alles in allem ist „Ruinen“ ein großartiger Abschluss für Dan Wells‚ „Partials“-Trilogie, mit einem guten Ende, mit dem man als Leser zufrieden sein kann, auch wenn genug offen bleibt, um der eigenen Fantasie noch etwas ihren Lauf zu lassen ;) Definitiv eine der empfehlenswerteren Dystopien im Young Adult Bereich, die durch eine wirklich beängstigend reale Atmosphäre und faszinierende Charaktere besticht! ( )
  FiliaLibri | Nov 10, 2015 |
I did not think that the final book of the Partials trilogy was quite as good as the first two, but I am glad I finished it. It seemed a little too predictable for my taste. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |

As a war between the humans and the Partials looms, Samm finds himself trapped beyond a toxic wasteland, and Kira finds herself under the control of Dr. Morgan who is desperate to save the Partials.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,915,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible