Undying Destiny by Jessica Lee

Undying Destiny

by Jessica Lee

205515,329 (4.6)None

4 1/2 Stars - Review to come. ( )
  Chrystina.Williams | Dec 4, 2015 |
Julie's staff pick for 6/16/13. ( )
  AReCafe | May 23, 2014 |
Undying Destiny by Jessica Lee
(Book #1: The Enclave Series)
Source: Netgalley
Rating: 4/5 stars

Dear reader, you know I loves me some vampires and so, I am very pleased to be reviewing Jessica Lee’s Undying Destiny, the first installment of The Enclave Series. This book has all the things I love: super-hot warrior vampires, a one and only soul mate and, an on-going fight against a super-evil big bad. Here we go . . .

Kenric St. James has been a vampire for three centuries and it is a life he never chose. He was turned against his will, kept captive for years, and, used for his body and blood by the bat-sh*t crazy vampire who sired him. In the years since his escape, Kenric has built a small army of loyal and fierce vampires known as the Enclave who work tirelessly to fight, not only his sire but any vampire that threatens the vampire world and humans alike. Though small in number, the Enclave is mighty and highly successful in their endeavors. There is very little that can seriously threaten the Enclave.

Emily Ross is an accomplished nurse who thrives on the fast-paced adrenaline-fueled environment found in the ER. She is very good at her job and with no distractions in her personal life, is able to focus all her attention on her job and her patients. Since (mostly!) extricating herself from an abusive relationship, Emily has determined she will never let a man again control her life and her choices. As a result, Emily avoids personal entanglements and generally keeps to herself.

And then, two worlds collide . . . .

During what should have been a routine patrol, Kenric finds himself dangerously injured and in need of immediate rescue. Lucky for Kenric, Emily Ross is on her way to work and generally unable to resist helping a person in need. At the end of her shift, Emily makes the fateful decision to check in on her patient one last time and wakes up in his bed in his compound the next day. WOW!! That was one hell of a check-up  As you might suspect, Emily is completely freaked out and Kenric is one scary bastard who is extremely hot and completely healed of all his extensive injuries. . . WTH?? Which is exactly what the rest of the Enclave warriors are thinking when they discover Kenric has a woman in his room. WTH????

After a considerable amount of explaining and more than a little proof, everyone begins to believe everyone else and can then move forward to handle the problem at hand. The problem? Kenric’s bat-sh*t crazy sire is back and has “acquired” a considerable amount of power; a power well beyond her age. Furthermore, she is once again interested in Kenric standing by her side as they rule the world and she knows about Emily. Oh good, nothing can go wrong here. Except for everything that does go wrong including, lots of casualties, one of the Enclave going rogue and, Emily being captured. And then there is the teeny tiny complication of Emily and Kenric discovering just how important they are to the other. If they both survive the crazy, they may just have a shot at a real future together.
The Bottom Line: While I am not jumping around like a fool over this read, I did thoroughly enjoy it and have already purchased the second book in the series. I can’t put my finger on anything specific in the negative category just like I can’t put my finger on any elements that would push this read to a 4½ or even 5-star read. In a lot of ways, Undying Destiny is a very typical first-in-a-series book with a lot of groundwork being laid and a lot of preparation for the continuation of the series. In some ways, I feel like the preparation for the future took something away from the actual read. With this being said I see a lot of potential in this series and truly hope it gets better with each succeeding installment. ( )
  arthistorychick | Dec 26, 2013 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: A dark, sexy vampire romance filled with hot tension and gooey romance. A recommended read for fans of vampires.

Opening Sentence: “Whoever you are, you’d best have a damn good reason to continue breathing,” Kenric rumbled.

The Review:

Fans who love the feel of an old-school vampire romance story may want to check out Undying Destiny. This novel had a lot of the elements of an older style vampire story while still feeling like a modern day tale. For me, it brought back memories of when I used to read nothing but vampire stories. It definitely makes me want to throw in a few of these stories every now and again as I review. (I do want to note that this novel was previously published as A Desire to Die For by a different publishing company a few years ago.)

Kenric is a three hundred year old vampire. He has spent most of his years building an “Enclave” of good vampires to help the human race. Lately, his team has been fighting a lot of “DEADs” (death euphoria addicted vampires). These vampire addicts are a menace that could only be created by Kenric’s sire - Marguerite, a woman Kenric has been able to avoid most of his undead life. She has created an army that Kenric and his men must fight off while gathering enough power of her own. Marguerite is hoping to become the most powerful vampire and she needs Kenric as her mate to do that. Marguerite has recently harnessed a new power that allows her to invade Kenric’s dreams where she hopes to entice him to come back to her. Dreams that allow Kenric some power to overcome her mental war but not enough to destroy her.

Emily Ross comes across Kenric after a fight with DEAD’s that leave him weak, bleeding and passed out. As a nurse, she takes him to a hospital in order to save his life. What she doesn’t expect is to be kidnapped and used to help erase evidence of him ever being in the hospital. The last thing Emily wants to do is fall for a demanding, hot vampire.

Emily and Kenric’s passion for each other is fierce, hot and quick. It doesn’t take long for it to develop. They both have tortured pasts (literally) that they have to work through and present events aren’t helping at all when Marguerite sees Emily’s face in Kenric’s mind. Marguerite has already killed one of Kenric’s past lovers and he doesn’t want Emily to meet that same fate.

Kenric starts off the novel as one really tough bada$$ but once he meets Emily he turns into a big pile of romantic goo. He is still tough at times during other parts of the novel but when it has to do with Emily he is just pudding. He was just a little over the top romantic for me but I know others won’t have a problem with that. Emily has a lot of insecurities following her. She hides all her problems with a serious mask or comedy. I enjoyed her comic relief and her fight for independence, which is what made me like Emily. She didn’t want Kenric to solve all her problems for her but that is what he did.

I know there is only so much you can do with vampires that hasn’t been done before so there are some similarities to other vampires in the genre but Jessica Lee does make these vampires her own. The DEAD’s are a different twist and I definitely have some questions about the origins of these vampires. The only thing I had a problem with was that female vampires are inherently weaker than their male counterpoints. I only say this because it is made a point at a couple different times in the storyline. The only thing that gives them more power is by mating with a male and absorbing their powers so that they are powerful together.

Undying Destiny has multiple third person point of views, jumping to many of the different characters as the novel goes along. There is a lot going on in this novel to set up this world, which includes quite a bit of action but there is some intriguing parts as you learn about the vampire history. Also, there is a bit of a cliffhanger ending – hint don’t read the synopsis for the next novel before you’ve read this one.

In the end, if you are a fan of vampires and vampire romance, I would recommend reading Undying Destiny. The tension is hot, the romance is heavy and I would definitely like to see this world expanded. I will stay tuned for the next novel in this series (once published as Dark Desires at Midnight although I’m sure this one will also see a name change). No word on when it will be rereleased.

Notable Scene:

“Wait a minute. Before you go, I have to talk to you about something.” He loosened his grip on her forearm. “I have reason to believe your life may be in danger.”

Emily turned, her hazel eyes wide.

“What did you just say?” She stepped forward. “I thought this was it. Wasn’t it you who said, ‘help me with this and there won’t be anything to worry about?’”

“It has nothing to do with tonight. But I can’t get into it here. That’s why, before I arrived, I arranged for my driver to be here in the morning when you get off work. You’ll be returning to the compound until I can be assured you’re safe.”

A flash of red raced to her cheeks, and her eyes widened even more. “I will be returning to the compound.” Both hands went to her hips. “You decided?”

She narrowed her eyes and closed in on him with that dangerous forefinger raised, and dug it into his chest. “Listen up, Dracula, I don’t need you coming into my life and telling me what you’ve decided without a second thought about what I want. You can just take your driver and your decisions and shove them where the sun don’t shine.” She stabbed her finger into his chest with each word for emphasis. “Oh, excuse me. I guess that euphemism is lost on you, Mr. Vampire.”

FTC Advisory: Entangled Edge provided me with a copy of Undying Destiny. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Jun 17, 2013 |
In a word- marvelous, and even that doesn’t quite fit the bill, what is greater than marvelous? This is a wonderful book, filled with everything that would make a book great.

The characters pull you into their world. With the first page through the end, you’re transported on a journey of love and jealousy, mystery and intrigue, loyalty and treachery. It examines the depths of abuse and opens your heart to hope, the kind that true love can only bring.

Kenric’s master vampire status is craved by his sire- Marguerite. The power he would bring to her is unimaginable, and she’s in the ‘gotta have him’ frame of mind. Emily and Kenric find each other by chance. That chance meeting enter twines their lives at a time when they both need it. While Kenric knows what Marguerite wants, his heart belongs to Emily and it’s time for Marguerite’s power plays to end. Emily and Kenric’s story is filled with plenty of that sizzle of a new romance. While the trials of the world surround them, their budding relationship grows.

This story is truly a spell binder. It’s impossible to put down. The more you read, the more you’re drawn in and you want to find out more. Your mind’s eye conjures up the visual images so brilliantly written by Jessica Lee. Undying Destiny is definitely a must read for any paranormal genre fan. ( )
  KatrinaH | Jun 17, 2013 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,988,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible