The Chosen by Kristina Ohlsson

The Chosen (2013)

by Kristina Ohlsson

English (3)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (5)
Yes, this book is compulsively readable, but no, it doesn't maintain enough contact with reasonable probability. Several reviewers say they think this is the best book in the series, but I found it disappointing compared to the earlier books. That's not because it isn't suspenseful -- it's VERY suspenseful, because of a narrative device that works like a charm. But suspenseful isn't everything, even in a thriller. For me, the plot ran out of credibility about two-thirds of the way through the novel, and also ran out of coherence: too many possible murderers, too many motives, and too much improbability. I finished the book and look forward to the next, but I hope it is a bit more restrained. ( )
  annbury | Mar 12, 2017 |
I really liked the next installment of the series. I like the way that Kristina Ohlsson keeps you informed but has Fredrika and Alex always guessing. It keeps you in the know while her characters are always guessing whats happening. They come close to what really happens but they will never know the truth. It was an enjoyable read. ( )
  Hanneri | Nov 7, 2016 |
This novel story is one of those you can't say too much about in the review without revealing significant bits of the plot.

It is #5 in a series featuring Fredrika Bergman but I haven't read earlier titles. I gather Fredrika is returning to work after an absence and her colleague Alex Recht is constantly worried that he is asking too much of her. Fredrika's talent is that she can connect the dots of a trail in a different way to most of her colleagues - she can envisage different scenarios for them to consider. It is this talent which makes her most useful in an investigation team. She can see connections where others see none.

The main story is set in 2012. Among the threads which merge together are why the families of the missing boys emigrated to Sweden from Israel 10 years earlier, involvement by Mossad, MI5 and Sapo, what happened on the West Bank ten years earlier, and secrets.

The structure of the book is designed to keep you reading because almost from the beginning we are told part of the ending. The characters in these segments are not named and so working out who they are is part of the "hook".

A good suspenseful read ( )
  smik | Jul 14, 2016 |

On a cold winter's day, a pre-school teacher is shot to death at the Jewish Congregation in Stockholm. Just hours later, two Jewish boys go missing on their way to tennis practice. Fredrika Bergman and Alex Recht hunt for a killer that seems as merciless as he is effective.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,811,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible