Lycanthia by Tanith Lee

Lycanthia (original 1981; edition 1990)

by Tanith Lee (Author)

Member:trcovell
Title:Lycanthia
Authors:Tanith Lee (Author)
Info:Legend paperbacks (1990), 224 pages

Lycanthia : or the children of wolves by Tanith Lee (1981)

I must admit to a deep affection for Gothic Romances, cheesiness and all. ‘Lycanthia’ is decidedly the best entry into that field I’ve encountered, with the twists that one expects from Tanith Lee elevating the book past all the clichés of the genre.

Here, in a 19th-century French (?) setting, the hapless (?) protagonist is a young man, Christian Dorse. Finding himself the unexpected heir to an ancestral manor house, he betakes himself to languish in his new property. Languishing is what he aims for – Christian believes himself to be an invalid (although it’s not quite clear if he is), and is a self-centered, not very likable individual. All he wants to do is to be left alone, to play the piano, and to feel sorry for himself.

However, his house, with its strange servants, the insular village nearby, and – most of all – the neighboring woods, seem to harbor sinister secrets. It’s not clear if Christian’s destiny is to fulfill a traditional role in a way of life he has never known, or if he will be shunned as an outsider.

He meets a strange couple, outcast from the village, and seemingly helpless to resist, falls into a web of supernatural depravity (or is it natural, beautiful love?). Christian is spurred to become more than he was – to re-examine what in life is truly meaningful. But will he succeed in breaking from the mold he has created for himself?

Lycanthia is a genre novel, a werewolf story – and also a beautiful, challenging and thought-provoking work.
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Sadly, Tanith Lee very early on discovered the market that would most reliable provide a buck. This is one of her "I need the money books, and so, Not for me. The title says it all, and I'm sorry she wasn't able to cash in on the "Twilight" craze. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Oct 3, 2013 |
It was interesting to see that this novel started off with a lone person being dropped off at a train station in the middle of winter woods, it seems to be a good shorthand for isolation. Christian is going to his newly inherited chateau to finish dying, probably from lung cancer. The village people and servants refuse to discuss a pair who might have a claim on the estate, and large dogs have been spotted wandering the grounds and killing small animals. By the time he confronts the pair, we're fairly ready to believe almost anything of them. The time he spends getting to know them is a languid interlude, and the resolution is interesting. ( )
  silentq | Jul 8, 2012 |
"Lycanthia" was a nice surprise to me, as I actually think that it's one of the better of Lee's books. The prose is, as always, lush, without becoming too purple, the setting seems to live and breathe, the plot is tight and rises to a taut climax, the characterisations are satisfying, and the sensuality that always infuses her stories is present but not allowed to overpower the narrative. ( )
2 vote salimbol | Dec 12, 2011 |
tanith lee is one of my favorite authors. this isn't my favorite of her books, i'll admit, but it's fun to read on the t (i live in boston) and since light paperbacks are a premium for that, i'll be hanging on to this. ( )
  SithCrow | Jan 31, 2007 |

Tanith Leeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chadwick, Paul, 1957-Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,834,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible