A Weaver Beginning by Allison Leigh

"3.5 out of 5 stars, this is a sweet, fun, and charming novel! It's about a young woman protecting her little brother while trying to raise him right, falling for her "dangerous," handsome, and protective neighbor with hopes of a great future for them all."

Read more of this review and two teasers on my blog once (and after) it's posted on August 17, 2013: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2013/07/made-grade-return-to-double-c-... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
3.5 Stars

I really enjoyed reading this sweet love story. It’s a refreshing break from all the angst ridden books I’ve been reading lately. I got into this one right away and it kept my attention until I finished it. It flowed nicely and is well written. I noticed only a few minor editing issues, nothing to take away from the story.

Abby is a strong young woman with a lot of responsibility on her shoulders. She handles it well and knows what she wants. I liked the fact that no matter how much she loved and wanted Sloan she never acted desperate or begged. That’s not to say she didn’t hurt at times, but Abby had enough self-respect to accept the things that happen. Abby does have some self-doubt when it comes to her little brother, in that she worries that she is doing the right things for him.

Sloan is a man with a past and issues with that past. He has to come to terms with some of the things that happened over the last few years. Sloan wanted and loved Abby, even if he wouldn’t admit that love to himself. He would be tender and caring to Abby and then push her away, just as it was starting to get annoying the story moved forward. I’m not sure I liked the way he dealt with his past, it came across a bit selfish, but it felt important to the story. Like it was the only way he knew how or could deal with it.

Overall I loved Abby and really liked Sloan. I recommend this to anyone who is looking for a good love story with a strong heroine.

(Copy received from publisher for an honest review.)

Also posted on
Darker Passions
  Tala2cubs | Sep 3, 2014 |
Good book. Abby has come to Weaver to be the new school nurse. It also gives her a chance to make a better life for herself and her seven year old brother. As she is moving in to her new house she meets next door neighbor Sloan who comes over to shovel her driveway. She's wary of him at first but also very attracted to him. Sloan is drawn to her also, but tries to resist.

I really liked Abby. She hasn't had things easy in her life. She was raised by her grandparents when her mom dumped her with them and split. A few years ago mom showed up again and dumped Abby's half brother Dillon with them. Her grandfather passed away two years ago and her grandmother has Alzheimer's and had to be put in a care facility. Now she is sole caretaker of her little brother and worries that she's not up to the job. She has taken the school nurse job in Weaver so that she is on the same schedule he is. When she meets Sloan she is nervous at first until she finds out who he is. Then she relaxes as she considers him to be a hero. She also notices an intense attraction to him. Even though his kisses are fantastic, he tells her that he's no good for her and can't make any promises. She sees how good he is with Dillon and how much he loves his sister and knows that there is more good in him than he thinks there is. I really loved the way that Abby knows that Sloan is the man for her and is willing to be patient. There is one scene where she is the one providing comfort to him that shows just how much she cares. Her patience is tested at one point as he fights the demons of his past and she doesn't know if she'll ever see him again.

Sloan spent years deep undercover with a gang when he was with the ATF. During that time he did things and saw things that haunt him, including losing someone he cared about. When he left the ATF he moved to Weaver to be near his sister, but didn't know if he could handle staying in one place. He's working as a deputy sheriff and enjoying the work but still dealing with his memories. When he met Abby her sweetness calmed some of the misery he felt, but his attraction to her worried him. Because of his past he feels that he's not worthy of anyone's love, much less someone like her. He had a bad habit of giving in to his growing feelings and then pulling back, but it was getting harder for him to do so. I also loved how good he was with Dillon. Some of the things he did showed how great he would be as a father if he would just let himself care. His hero status only went up with Abby and Dillon when he rescued them from an angry parent. When his past calls him away from Weaver he realizes he has some choices to make.

I also loved some of the secondary characters. Abby's brother Dillon was well done ax a seven year old. He acted very much in character for his age. I loved the way he would say some things that were true but inappropriate at the time. I also loved seeing characters from other books and the impact they have, especially on Sloan. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Oct 2, 2013 |
I’m pretty certain this is the first Allison Leigh book I’ve read, although you shouldn’t take me up on my word here. There are probably dozens of stories I’ve read and I can’t tell you what their title/author’s name is even with a gun to my head.

Ms. Leigh’s writing is lovely. It’s light, and flowing, and has a way to word out feelings in a very real way.

I really liked Abby. She’s young, inexperienced in more ways than one and is very sweet. She’s independent and while very “green” in some aspects of life she definitely knows what she wants and needs and how to get it. She’s not a pushover and having her particular familial past – she’s also insanely mature.

Now Sloan on the other hand (her neighbor, btw) is tough, broody, rather annoying (to be quite honest) and somewhat damaged by his previous assignment in active duty. Although in my opinion his “damage” wasn’t as profound as he made it to be in his head.

I enjoyed the gradual development of their romance and how in spite of him trying to hold back and not make their relationship emotional, knowing he’s going to leave, he didn’t ignore the fact that it did. I loved how Abby pushed him and wasn’t intimidated by his supposed tough-guy attitude. And I absolutely LOVED how Sloan was with Dillon.

I felt like the story didn’t have that unique something that makes it memorable. I’m pretty sure that in a few weeks I won’t even remember the characters’ names. This was a Hallmark story through and through.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for the feel-good story, no out-of-the-blue surprises and HEA.

NetGalley were kind enough to include this title in their newsletter, and I thank them, as well as Harlequin for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
  TheBookHammock | Sep 24, 2013 |
A Weaver Beginning was a charming romance. I liked the characters, the town, the Weaver family. The plot was small town life. It did have two love scenes that I skipped over.

Sloan McCray has spent the year in Weaver and is not sure what he plans to do next. His twin wants him to stay in Weaver. He does not see himself as a hero. As a hard time dealing with his memories and guilt.

Abby Marcum has just moved too Weaver with her young brother on New Years eve. The house she bought heat is not working. Their is lots of snow in driveway as she tries to unpack her car. She is 23 and the new school nurse who will start in a few days.

Dillon is her 7 year old half brother that she has raised for the past two years. He is cute but really shy. He is afraid when he sees the stranger with snow shovel coming over from next door.

Sloan helps her carry stuff inn and when he realizes that the house is cold and that she plans to heat with fireplace till after the holidays. He brings her wood starts the fire, shovels the driveway for her before he tells her who he is. A sheriff deputy who was in the news for getting biker gang busted up working undercover deep undercover.

Dillon takes to his neighbor when he finds out he has a badge and gun.

I smiled a lot reading this story. Dillon is cute and can really say the wrong thing at the wrong time as all kids tend to do sometimes.

I was given this ebook to read and asked to give honest review of it when done by Netgalley and Harlequin.
publication: September 17th 2013 by Harlequin Special Edition 224 pages ISBN 0373657706 ( )
  rhonda1111 | Sep 18, 2013 |

Small town deputy Sloan McCray was making amends for his past. They called him a hero but only he had to live with the difficult choices he'd made. And he certainly wasn't prepared to fall in love again, not even with his beautiful--and innocent--new neighbor, whose very presence was a balm to his troubled soul. There was no doubt in Abby Marcum's mind that Sloan was the guy for her. Though she'd moved to Weaver, Wyoming, to make a better life for her little brother, she saw her future with Sloan. Now she had to convince the man who felt unworthy of love that she and her heart were his for the asking.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,619,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible