The Demon's Song (Hearts of the Fallen)…

The Demon's Song (Hearts of the Fallen) (Entangled Covet)

by Kendra Leigh Castle

194537,190 (3.7)None

Actual rating 2 and a half stars.

It wasn't badly written or anything, the characters were likeable, the romance between the two lead male and female characters had good chemistry and I liked that they didn't automatically fall madly in love, it was angsty and they had to work through their feelings before realising they were crazy about each other. The romance scenes were hot, the story was fast paced. There was some fairly good world building. However, it still felt a little blah to me.

There was nothing particular about the plot that grabbed me from the get go and made me go ooh, I love this. I also found the plot a little predictable. From certain points you could sort of see where the story was going to go.

While it was by no means a bad book, it was a likeable paranormal romance, but it was only okay for me.

Thank you Netgalley for the review copy. ( )
  sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |
The Demon’s Song by Kendra Leigh Castle is the first book in her new series Hearts of the Fallen and I can’t wait for the next book in the series.

What the publisher says:

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. At least, that's how it seems to Sofia Rivera when her attempt to help a friend ends in a blood-soaked confrontation with creatures that aren't even supposed to exist. With a group of rogue vampires determined not to leave a single witness to their violence hot on her heels, Sofia finds herself saddled with an immortal bodyguard—Phenex, the fallen Angel of Song.

While the vampire king roots out the corruption threatening to take down his underworld kingdom, Sofia will have to deal with a fallen angel whose dark beauty is often at odds with his ornery nature. Slowly, Sofia and Phenex give in to the strange attraction neither can deny. And as the darkness closes in around them, Phenex begins to wonder whether even the wickedest Fallen might find his own happy ending...and his heart.

What I say:

In the book we meet Sofia Riveria, a spicy Latina nurse, who ends up in the wrong place at what turns out to be the right time, and Phenex, a Fallen Angel and a former Lord of Hell. I say right time because if she wasn’t where she was when something terrible happens she would have never met Phenex and he is one HOT Fallen Angel and the former Angel of Song.

Phenex, a Fallen Angel without a soul, has a reaction to Sofia when he sees her that causes him to get involved with her in a way that surprises himself and his six fallen brethren but makes you fall for him and the other Fallen Angels which had me turning the pages as fast as I could read to see how this would all work out.

I think one of the things I liked most about this book was that the author believed enough in our intelligence as her readers to just get into the story form the get go and not spoon feed us tons of back story to “catch us up” with where she wanted to go and I appreciated that. There are Angels, Fallen Angels, Humans, Vampires, Heaven, Hell and a place called Terra Noctem, the City of Eternal Night which is a safe haven for the “good” night dwellers and it is protected by the Vampire King and due to an agreement with the Fallen Angels, them too.

If you are a lover of paranormal books and characters like these you will love this book. You will feel like you have been here and know the characters. I kept feeling like I had met them all before because Kendra created characters that were recognizable to the reader if you read books of this type. She didn’t create characters you had to learn what they were all about for the first time and that is what allowed you to just jump right into the story.

I suggest you do that, jump in to this book. Not only will you not be disappointed but you too will be waiting with baited breath for the next book in the series. The only thing I couldn’t figure out was whose story will be next. ( )
  Traann | Apr 30, 2013 |
I am a huge fan of Kendra Leigh Castle's and was very excited to see her coming out with a new series. True to her form it looks like she is bringing us a series full of all things paranormal, from Fallen Angels to Vampires to Demons to Weres, but with a setup unlike any I've ever read. Sofia is very strong willed but very passionate about pretty much everything and Phenex is a Fallen Angel who has lost his passion for everything until he sees Sofia, but both super easy to like and you will probably find yourself rooting for them. Their relationship takes some time, but the passion between the two of them is really thick through the whole book. The other characters in this book were all very easy to like as well and I am looking forward to future books starring them. For the most part the book flows very nicely, but I did feel that there were a few parts that were a little rushed. Even with that I still highly recommend you give this book a try!! I received an ARC via NetGalley for an honest review. ( )
  hcollins | Apr 24, 2013 |
TITLE: The Demon’s Song

AUTHOR: Kendra Leigh Castle

RATING: 4/out of 5 Stars

PUBLISHER: Covet an imprint of Entangled Publishing

ISBN139781622661817

Synopsis

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. At least, that’s how it seems to Sofia Rivera when her attempt to help a friend ends in a blood-soaked confrontation with creatures that aren’t even supposed to exist. With a group of rogue vampires determined not to leave a single witness to their violence hot on her heels, Sofia finds herself saddled with an immortal bodyguard—Phenex, the fallen Angel of Song.

Review

The Demon’s Song by Kendra Leigh Castle is the first book of the new series Hearts of the Fallen, published by Covet an imprint of Entangled Publishing. The story centers around Phenex, a fallen angel and former lord of hell, who along with his brethren (other redeemed fallen) work for the white wings (heaven). He still has his wings, but they are ebony, like his attitude. Phenex has shut himself off from all emotions, and he prefers it like that. He doesn’t want to feel anything too deeply. He lives with his brothers in Terra Noctem, the City of Eternal Night, a magical safe haven for night dwellers, a place where the minions of hell can’t enter. All of the fallen have sworn a blood oath to protect the city that has given the refuge. In Castle’s world, just because you are a night dweller doesn’t make you bad. Phenex falls in this category; he might not be the most moral of guys, but he has left hell and fights as a mercenary on the side of good. When the story begins, he is just counting the days of his existence, killing demons, and singing in the local club above Terra Noctem.

What complicates Phenex’s existence is Sofia Riveria, a spicy Latina nurse who has stumbled into vampire trouble while helping a friend. Sofia isn’t the type of girl to sit by and wait to be rescued; she can rescue herself ‘thank you very much’. The new world she has been thrust into is a little more complicated than she can handle; therefore, Phenex enters into her life as her protector. They have a mutual attraction, and the heat is definitely an inferno when these two interact. The relationship between Phenex and Sophia that Castle writes is one full of energy, desire, and a good dose of angst. One major problem is that despite Phenex not wanting to feel, it’s kind of hard not to when Sophia is around.

I am excited to see where this series and the world that Castle is creating leads. She has built a paranormal world in the Hearts of the Fallen Series tthat is filled will fallen angels, angels, demons, vampires, fae and weres, so the storyline interaction between all the factions has enormous potential in future world building and stories. I am very excited to have a new Castle series to look forward to. ( )
1 vote LiteratiLit | Apr 23, 2013 |

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. At least, that's how it seems to Sofia Rivera when her attempt to help a friend ends in a blood-soaked confrontation with creatures that aren't even supposed to exist. With a group of rogue vampires determined not to leave a single witness to their violence hot on her heels, Sofia finds herself saddled with an immortal bodyguard Phenex, the fallen Angel of Song. While the vampire king roots out the corruption threatening to take down his underworld kingdom, Sofia will have to deal with a fallen angel whose dark beauty is often at odds with his ornery nature. Slowly, Sofia and Phenex give in to the strange attraction neither can deny. And as the darkness closes in around them, Phenex begins to wonder whether even the wickedest Fallen might find his own happyending ... and his heart.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,415,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible