Death and the Courtesan by Pamela Christie

Death and the Courtesan

by Pamela Christie

162615,960 (4)None

*Book source ~ Many thanks to Kensington for providing a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Arabella Beaumont is London’s most infamous courtesan. When an old friend turned enemy ends up dead by Arabella’s monogrammed paper knife (letter opener) the law is ready to arrest her as a murderess. However, her rich and highly titled patron, the Duke of Glendeen, declares that Arabella will be remanded to his custody and therefore free to help with the investigation of her innocence (of the murder, that is) and she does just that. With help from two Bow Street Runners, her sister Belinda, a family friend and many others, Arabella has only 3 weeks to find the real killer or she will be hanged for a murder she didn’t commit.

The writing for this story is a bit different than I’m used to, but it’s not a bad different. It’s told mostly from Arabella’s POV, but there is a narrator at times. The plot is twisty, the characters are wonderful and there is humor aplenty. I quite enjoyed myself while I tried to figure out who killed poor Euphemia Ramsey. I would definitely read more about Arabella and her entourage. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Dec 17, 2013 |
DEATH AND THE COURTESAN by Pamela Christie is an interesting Regency Historical Mystery. #1 in her new Arabella Beaumont Mystery. While this story starts out rather slow to me, it does pick up after a few chapters. It is a rather quick read. The characters seemed a bit feathered headed to me. Not what you would usually find in a Courtesan story. Does have mystery,and suspense. Made no sense to me why Arabella Beaumont's protector, a Duke,was not willing to save her from the police or a murder charge. All it would have taken was for him to let the police know he was with her on the night in question,but he did not want his fiance to know where he was or where he was spending his nights. To me the story made courtesan's seem careless,emptied headed,and rather dim-witted. While the story has an interesting plot with a promise of an intriguing tale, it liked depth to me. Although, I have seen some of these seems traits on Masterpiece Theatre,I was not expecting it in this story. I am not saying that DEATH AND THE COURTESAN was not an interesting read,it just liked depth to me. Arabella's sister,Belinda,is a total air-head,except for her inventive way to catch a killer. Arabella is apparently supporting her entire family: her brother,sister-Belinda,and her nephews. While, Belinda,is a courtesan herself,apparently this lifestyle runs in the family,why would she need supporting,I ask. Anyway,check out DEATH AND THE COURTESAN and see what you think. Maybe I was having a bad day,when I read this title. Received for an honest review from the publisher.
RATING: 3
HEAT RATING: MILD
REVIEWED BY: AprilR,Review courtesy of My Book Addiction and More ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Jun 18, 2013 |

"Since the age of sixteen, Arabella Beaumont has been happily employed as a highly paid woman of pleasure. True, respectable ladies of the ton would never deign to call at Lustings, her delightful home. Then again, Arabella has no desire to make dreary small talk and sip tea when she could be enjoying the company of amusing, intelligent, and extremely generous gentlemen. But while Arabella's admirers are legion, she also has enemies. A paper knife stolen during one of her salons was discovered near the body of a former rival. Arabella was entertaining her wealthy benefactor on the night of the murder, but the engaged duke can't provide the alibi she desperately needs. It falls to Arabella and her resourceful sister, Belinda, to clear her good--or at least innocent--name. Utilizing all the talents in her arsenal, the irrepressible Miss Beaumont will endeavor to catch the real culprit, before the hangman catches up to her..."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,606,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible