Blank Slate by Tiffany Snow

Blank Slate

by Tiffany Snow

Another great book written by Tiffany Snow. Blank Slate was full of wonder, passion, heat and crime. Clarissa, a beautiful woman full of crime gets taken aback by FBI Agent, Erik Langston. Their road to recover the truth was an epic win. I would highly recommend this book as a must read! ( )
  ColleenGiminiani | Dec 3, 2016 |
Really enjoyed this! :) ( )
  cybercarotte | Nov 23, 2016 |
Great story! FBI, hacker, family drama, traitors and friends and no one is sure who's who. ( )
  CC123 | Aug 10, 2015 |
As an untraditional romance story, Blank Slate certainly delivers. The deadly, sexy game of predator and prey—hunter and hunted—that Clarissa and Erik fall into is full of action, bumps in the road, and slow but steamy romance. What occurs between these two unlikely lovers when they disastrously, marvelously find each other will have readers pining to figure out how they'll end up together... if they even make it out alive.

However, as a romantic thriller, Blank Slate disappoints. As you know, I'm a huge fan of Snow's Kathleen Turner novels and was eager for something along the lines of that series when I picked up this book. There's definitely lots of conflict involving governmental and cyber warfare—plenty of situations where characters are held at gunpoint and dodge both literal and figurative bullets—but I feel this book just didn't crack and sizzle like I expect suspense stories to. Two rather poorly integrated plot twists are shoved into the last few chapters which upsets the weightier, more deep-set pacing and content the previous chapters carry. I guess I should have seen this coming, considering the book was first published as a Kindle serial—meaning it wasn't originally released as a full-length novel, but rather in episodes (a few chapters per episode) as each was written; the suspense aspect just wasn't all that suspenseful for me.

I was glad to see such compelling characters, though; they definitely make up for the lack of excitement in plot. Erik seems too sentimental and rigid at first, but he absolutely made me melt; he's the genteel, chivalrous, loyal hero that's difficult to come by in romance these days. At times, his hardheaded decency makes him a bit foolish (can we say whipped?) but he's so sweet, the kind of guy who's swoon-worthy not for being dangerous and sensual, but rather for standing moral ground and serving the greater good with his sexy FBI status. (However, he's definitely no Kade. Sorry for the shameless Kathleen Turner plug, but if the comparison helps, you should know: I liked Erik, but didn't LOVE him. He isn't dark/brooding/twisted enough to have me ripping my panties off or anything. If you want that kind of hero, you need to read No Turning Back ASAP).

Clarissa is such a likable, hilarious character. She's admirably strong even at her lowest lows, and super freakin' wicked smart. Yet she still has room to be playful and bring out the blushing, crushing schoolboy in Erik... can't go wrong with that. While the memory loss premise is a little shaky—I'm not sure it's neurologically possible to experience a complete brain wipeout while retaining rudimentary memories she still apparently has, such as shooting a gun or picking a lock—the attraction between Clarissa and Erik is a huge elephant in the room, and it's obvious what she feels—and what he discovers is love—is much more than duty's call.

Pros: Explores a complicated emotional bond very well // Light, fluffy banter between characters // Erik is a knight in shining armor! // Clarissa is strong and intelligent heroine with a great sense of humor

Cons: Not that thrilling // Not substantial in style... reads like a mildly smutified (I just made that a word!) version of White Collar

Love: "She watched in silence as Langston added more wood to the fire, stirring it back to life. He disappeared into the bedroom, then reemerged while angrily jerking a T-shirt down over his chest. Clarissa briefly mourned the loss."

Verdict: I wasn't a huge fan of the irregular pacing of Blank Slate because it prevented the huge climaxes from being all that surprising, but I was impressed with the steady and meaningful unexpected connection that blooms between Clarissa and Erik. The basic story line is linear and predictable, but that doesn't make it any less entertaining. The elusiveness of identity and the definition of betrayal are effectively examined in Tiffany Snow's newest single-title romance; it's no Kathleen Turner, but it's still a pretty worthwhile read.

Rating: 7 out of 10 hearts (4 stars): Not perfect, but overall enjoyable.

Source: Complimentary copy provided by author in exchange for an honest and unbiased review (thank you, Tiffany!). ( )
  stephanieloves | Jul 29, 2013 |

As a cyber-hacker born into a family of thieves, Clarissa O'Connell thinks she's seen the worst the criminal underworld has to offer--until her brother is arrested and she is forced into a pact with the notorious crime boss known only as Solomon, in order to free him. For FBI agent Erik Langston, the world is divided into black and white, wrong and right. So he has made it his life's mission to hunt down Solomon. When Clarissa's cyberattacks begin to topple Solomon's enemies, Erik is hot on her trail, believing her to be the key to bringing down Solomon and his empire. But in a single instant, everything changes and now Erik and Clarissa are running for their lives, desperate to stay one step ahead of Solomon's assassins.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,232,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible