1636: Seas of Fortune (The Ring of Fire) by…

1636: Seas of Fortune (The Ring of Fire)

by Iver P. Cooper

Another entry in Eric Flint et al's long-running 1632 series, taking the action to the Americas and Japan. A collection of "braided" short stories, this fits the description of a novel in stories except that there are two discrete parts.

The upside: This introduces Grantville's effect on far-flung reaches of the world.
The downside: It isn't very well written. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Jul 12, 2014 |
Mediocre book, rather limp story lines with characters that could disappear and no one would notice. The West Coast of the USA deserves better. Let us hope that history sustains and the vibrant East Coasties prevail against the vapid early arrivals. Certainly, the Mormon white shirters would show how to provide more vitality. ( )
  jamespurcell | May 25, 2014 |
The first half about colonizing south America was good. The second about the Japanese colonizing California....not so good. ( )
  dswaddell | Feb 4, 2014 |
I had to read it, to keep up with what's happening in the series but it's a long way from Grantville, no charactors I cared about and dull. ( )
  Janientrelac | Jan 26, 2014 |

Iver P. Cooperprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kidd, TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my family: my parents Morris and Lillie Cooper,
my wife Lee, and my children Jason and Louise.

I thank Eric Flint for giving me the opportunity to
participate in the development of the 1632 Universe.
Like an arrow falling from heaven, the cormorant plunged into the waters of the Para.

"A cosmic catastrophe, the Ring of Fire strands the West Virginia town of Grantville in the middle of Europe during the Thirty Years War. By 1636, it's impact is felt across two great oceans. The United States of Europe seeks out resources (oil, rubber and even aluminum) to help it wage war against the foes of freedom. Daring pioneers cross the Atlantic and found a new colony in South Africa hoping with up-time knowledge to prosper in the tropics and avoid Indian and African Slavery. In the west, the wave of change has reached Japan and intrigued the Shogun. But learning what fate has in store for them, Japan pulls back from a policy of isolation to stake its own claim in the new world"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,563,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible