The Final Cut by Catherine Coulter

The Final Cut

by Catherine Coulter, J. T. Ellison

Series: A Brit in the FBI (1)

I enjoyed this audiobook introducing Nicholas Drummond of Scotland Yard and FBI Agent Michaela (Mike) Caine. The Koh-I-Noor diamond, which is on loan to the Metropolitan Museum in NYC, has been stolen and the Nicholas’ former partner, Elaine York who is on security detail, has been murdered. Drummond and Mike make a good team while tracking “the Fox” from NYC, to Switzerland, to Paris, and then to London while learning about the history of the diamond and avoiding an international scandal. ( )
  Kathy89 | Mar 22, 2017 |
We are introduced to Detective Chief Inspector Nicholas Drummond of New Scotland Yard. Nicholas' police and personal partner, Detective Inspector Elaine York, is in New York to oversee security for the Queen Mother's Crown, which features the famous Koh-I-Noor diamond while it is on exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum. On hearing that she has been found dead under suspicious circumstances Nicholas immediately flies to New York. While Nicholas partners with FBI Agent Michaela (Mike) Caine to work on the case they are given assistance by Coulter's FBI characters Dillon Savich and Lacey Sherlock. Mike and Nicholas hit it off well and form a workable partnership.

Even though Savich and Sherlock appear in the book, they are assigned a much more behind the scenes, supportive role. This book is to introduce "the Brit" and settle him into what should be an exiting new series complimentary to the existing FBI series. On the fun side, the author's couldn't resist giving the enigmatic Nicholas a bit of a James Bond image - handsome, rich and well connected.

Catherine Coulter and J.T. Ellison are both fabulous authors both with very individual voices and writing styles and have accomplished a feat that many before them have failed at, a true literary collaboration that's an amazing brilliantly told plus an intensely entertaining story. It's a true melding of the incredible and somewhat light crime drama of Catherine with the darker yet just as astonishing hard-boiled police procedural of J.T. Their storyline is convincingly authentic, their combined narrative is a puzzle that twists and turns while painting beautiful pictures of all the breathtaking places they go and the dialogue is cop speak all the way. The two main protagonists are realistic in their roles, but each has that special panache that sets them apart and makes them interesting and unique.

Well done ladies. 4 stars. I'll hold off on the 5 until the next one when I have something to compare it to.

Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Nicholas Drummond works for Scotland Yard. Fellow agent Elaine York is on assignment in New York to protect the queen mother’s Crown Jewels, the Koh-i-Noor Diamond, which will be on display at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. When she is found murdered, Nick disobeys orders and heads to New York immediately to search for her killer. Working with FBI agent Michaela (Mike) Caine, the two are up against a master thief who manages to stay a step ahead of everyone after her.

Catherine Coulter has collaborated with J.T. Ellison, a well-known mystery writer, to create this new series. I really enjoyed the character of “The Fox” and how she set up the whole operation. Nicholas and Mike are always one step behind her and end up chasing her all the way to Europe. I also liked the interplay between Nicholas and Mike. Fans of Coulter's FBI series will be excited to see that her married team of special agents Dillon Savich and Lacey Sherlock play a key role in the story.

There are some romantic possibilities with Nicholas and Mike in the future, but the book is really focused on the theft of the diamond and the motive of the person who has commissioned the Fox to do the theft. There was some really interesting history about the Koh-i-Noor gem, mixed in with some new material to take it's mythology to a whole new level. I also enjoyed the fact, that even though the FBI didn't get the exact facts right, they kept the case moving forward on what they did find. Overall I enjoyed the book, and I can see myself giving the next one a try. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
OUT OF ALL THE MYSTERIES I HAVE EVER READ . I FIND THIS ONE OUT OF THE BEST. IT WAS GREATLY PACED. IT WAS FULLL OF ACTION. SOME PARTS LEFT YOU WITH THAT LOOK ON YOUR FACE GOING HMMMMM THAT IS INTERESTING. i READ THIS WHOLE BOOK IN ONE SITTING.i JUST COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN. IN THE END I WAS KNOCKED OUT OF MY CHAIR. MARVELOUS READ ( )
  silverdshay123 | Jun 23, 2015 |
I really like this book. The plot revolves around the theft from the Queen Mother's crown of the Koh-I-Noor diamond while it is on exhibit in the USA. New Scotland Yard and the FBI join together to track down the thief. I was intrigued not only with the action of the plot - but also by the real mystery of the jewel itself. This novel is extremely readable - with short chapters which always left me wanting to read more. The plot and characters are easy to follow - I do not enjoy a book if I constantly have to look back to remind myself who a character is, or why something is happening. As far as I am concerned, Ms Coulter has done it again - giving us another great read! (I read an uncorrected proof edition of the novel which I won as a First Reads giveaway - I hope she doesn't change much of it before the final edition!) ( )
  peggy.s | Jul 2, 2014 |

Coulter, Catherineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ellison, J. T.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Andrews, MacLeodNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raudman, ReneeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Scotland Yard’s new chief inspector Nicholas Drummond is on the first flight to New York when he learns his colleague, Elaine York, the “minder” of the Crown Jewels for the “Jewel of the Lion” exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, was found murdered. Then the centerpiece of the exhibit, the infamous Koh-i-Noor Diamond, is stolen from the Queen Mother’s crown. Drummond, American-born but raised in the UK, is a dark, dangerous, fast-rising star in the Yard who never backs down. And this case is no exception.

Special Agents Lacey Sherlock and Dillon Savich from Coulter’s bestselling FBI series don’t hesitate to help Drummond find the cunning international thief known as the Fox. Nonstop action and high stakes intensify as the chase gets deadly. The Fox will stop at nothing to deliver the Koh-i-Noor to the man who believes in its deadly prophecy.  Nicholas Drummond, along with his partner, FBI Special Agent Mike Caine, lay it on the line to retrieve the diamond for Queen and country.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:09 -0400)

Scotland Yard's new chief inspector Nicholas Drummond is on the first flight to New York when he learns his colleague, Elaine York, the "minder" of the Crown Jewels for the "Jewel of the Lion" exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, was found murdered. Then the centerpiece of the exhibit, the infamous Koh-i-Noor Diamond, is stolen from the Queen Mother's crown. Drummond, American-born but raised in the UK, is a dark, dangerous, fast-rising star in the Yard who never backs down. And this case is no exception. Special Agents Lacey Sherlock and Dillon Savich from Coulter's bestselling FBI series don't hesitate to help Drummond find the cunning international thief known as the Fox. Nonstop action and high stakes intensify as the chase gets deadly. The Fox will stop at nothing to deliver the Koh-i-Noor to the man who believes in its deadly prophecy. Nicholas Drummond, along with his partner, FBI Special Agent Mike Caine, lay it on the line to retrieve the diamond for Queen and country.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Catherine Coulter's book The Final Cut was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,401,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible