Here Comes Science by They Might Be Giants

Here Comes Science

by They Might Be Giants

103880,191 (4)None

This album features songs all about science, from the first song about how science is real (a thinly veiled attack on creationism?), to ones that provide information on how things work, such as aspects of the human body. What I like about this album is that the songs manage to be educational and entertaining at the same time. Some of the scientific terms may be a little beyond early elementary school students, but I think kids can learn what these words mean through the songs. I can see how a parent may get tired of listening to some of these songs on repeat; for example, The Blood Mobile is interesting and silly, but I think I'd get tired of it if I had to listen to it multiple times. This is a great album to give any child interested in science or the human body.
  Megs_Scrambled | Mar 16, 2014 |
Popular rock band They Might Be Giants try their hand at music for children in this fun album presenting science topics for young listeners in the physical, earth, and life sciences. Lyrics are entertaining and easy to following, offering catchy tunes with an educational message that will stick. I had my doubts about the band's venture into children's music, but I think kids will enjoy the songs while adults need not feel bombarded by overly "kiddy" music. ( )
  Octokitten | Feb 17, 2014 |
Fun, catchy songs about science, in the vein of a modern Schoolhouse Rock. This collection covers topics such as skepticism and the scientific method, the solar system, evolution, technology, and more. There's even a song updating the classic "What Makes the Sun Shine?" to reflect current scientific understanding, which also talks about how science changes as new things are uncovered. (Unfortunately the old, partly incorrect song rocks much harder and is generally catchier!) My favorite song was "Meet the Elements", which used the apt analogy of a paint set to describe how anything in the universe can be made with the basic elements, while the weakest was probably "Roy G. Biv" (it's just 'here's the names of the colors', which seems to skew a little young compared to the other songs.) ( )
  PlasticAtoms | Feb 13, 2014 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,074,964 books! | Top bar: Always visible