Speak of the Devil by Allison Leotta

Speak of the Devil (2013)

by Allison Leotta

Series: Anna Curtis (3)

Because reading taste evolves over time, I would have rated SPEAK OF THE DEVIL higher when I was in my 20s. But now, three decades later, the type of writing in this book is no longer for me. Now I see the characterization as too simple. Other reviews compare this to a John Grisham book; I would compare it to a Lisa Scottoline book, good writing and good story but a different type.

However, SPEAK OF THE DEVIL is written with authenticity. It deserves points for that. I learned of the degree that viscous, organized gangs exist in our society.

Allison Leotta's main character in SPEAK OF THE DEVIL is Anna, a beautiful female sex-crimes prosecutor. The devil referred to in the title is the head of the MS-13 gang, a man who truly does look like a devil, even to the point of implanting bumps in his forehead to look like horns and cutting off his nose.

While Anna works to shut down MS-13, she is also dealing with a fiance who still loves his wife who died at the hands of an MS-13 gang member. The description of Anna's personal life, in particular, is a little too goody-goody for me.

My point is that SPEAK OF THE DEVIL is a good book, just not for me anymore. ( )
  techeditor | Mar 11, 2015 |
Listened for Review (Simon & Schuster Audio)
Tracking Books Read Review (Short)
Overall Rating: 3.00
Story Rating: 3.50
Character Rating: 2.50

Audio Rating: 4.00 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: Speak of the Devil had a super strong case but it was weighed down by overly dramatic relationship things.

Overall Thoughts: I am going to admit that I am not a fan of super messy relationship drama in my thrillers unless it is the reason that certain things are happening. In this case, the drama was distracting for me. The twist should have either happened earlier or better yet the beginning shouldn't have happened. The case was very good, the extra layer of angst was not needed. I did enjoy the tracking down of clues, information, and the court drama. I thought all of that was done really well. I will read more in this series because overall I did enjoy Allison's writing voice.

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated By Tavia Gilbert / Length: 9 hrs and 19 mins

Tavia nailed it! I loved the narration for Speak of the Devil. I think it helped me stick with the story (glad I did). She was great as Anna!

Final Thoughts: Despite the relationship issues, I really enjoyed this book. I will be getting the next one in the series. ( )
  thehistorychic | Jan 19, 2014 |
I won this book from Goodreads. A story of a DC sex crime prosecutor that recently gets engaged then a horrible crime is committed by a local gang. She must work to bring them to justice. ( )
  rachelep | Oct 30, 2013 |
Speak Of The Devil
by
Allison Leotta

My "in a nutshell" summary...

Anna...a prosecutor...is very involved in her case. A case that involves horrible gangs, horrible people and horrible crimes.

My thoughts after reading this book...

This book was part love story and part crime story and oddly enough they meshed quite well. When I wasn't being horrified by the crimes and awful actions of this awful gang and their leader...the infamous devil Diablo...I was charmed by Anna and her wedding prep and her relationship with Jack...her fiancé...and his daughter Olivia. I was also charmed by Anna's cat, Raffles. And then comes all of the bad stuff. And there was lots and lots of bad stuff!

Because of this horrific crime that Anna is prosecuting she is in danger and all kinds of secrets are being exposed. People are in witness protection because of a crime linked to this one and the more Anna discovers about this the more the gang wants her dead. Witnesses have to come forward and this is a game changer for Anna.

Know that parts of this book were really difficult for me to read. There is not a lot of respect for women among the gang members and the violence is really terrible...think machetes, knives, gang rapes, gang initiations...none of them pretty.

Final thoughts...

There is a startling ending to this book but not on the crime side...it's on the romantic wedding side. Anna is a believable character but the ending was perhaps a bit off for me.

Readers who enjoy a somewhat fierce and graphic book should enjoy this book. I had a really difficult time reading about all of the really awful things the gang members did. It was uncomfortable and I did not like how graphic it was but that is my own personal taste. ( )
  PattyLouise | Oct 7, 2013 |
A romance novel, mystery and suspense, and legal thriller, all in one, this book focuses on a female prosecutor’s romance and the Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13), a Guatemalan gang operating across the Americas. The book has multiple strong female characters, good pace and writing.
It, however, has been compared to novels by John Grisham, which it does not resemble at all. This is a politically correct story which reveals no more than National Geographic or Law and Order. ... Book Review: Speak of the Devil By Allison Leotta » Katarina Nolte
http://katarinanolte.com/WordPressBlog/2013/09/book-review-speak-of-the-devil-by... ( )
  KatarinaNolte | Sep 13, 2013 |

Leotta, AllisonAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pace, Aline C.Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serrano, ErvinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"The Mara Salvatrucha, also known as MS-13, is the world's most dangerous gang."

-- National Geographic Explorer
For my parents,
with love and gratitude
Anna fiddled with the napkin on her lap and willed her stomach to calm.

Prosecutor Anna Curtis, assigned to bring a terrifying man known as Diablo to justice, calls into question everything she believes about good and evil when her investigation leads her to one of America's most brutal street gangs.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,366,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible