Operation Blind Date by Justine Davis

Operation Blind Date

by Justine Davis

Not bad - a lot better than Operation Reunion. Teague and a new client Laney, with a friend who went on a blind date and never came back (more or less). Teague is (of course) extremely competent, stereotypically male in his reactions to tears and shopping, and racked with guilt over old events - which helps him key in to Laney who's feeling guilt right now (because she introduced her friend to the blind date). Some interesting investigations and a nice bit of action at the end, but 90% of the story is Teague and Laney talking and trying (and failing - of course, it's a romance) to fight their mutual attraction. The misunderstanding at the end was quite dumb, and required Cutter's intervention to get them talking again - sheesh. Low self esteem on both sides. Enjoyable and worth rereading, if not among my favorite Davises. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Oct 8, 2015 |
I've always loved Justine Davis's books. Cutter's Code is a fun series. I thought Operation Blind Date was perfect romantic suspense. Loved how hard Teague and Laney fought to stay apart and how Cutter wasn't having any of it. Can't wait for more in the series. ( )
  EveGaddy | Jan 12, 2015 |
Another very good book starring the incredible dog Cutter. Teague had gone to Laney's dog groomer shop to pick up Cutter. He noticed that she seemed upset but figured it wasn't any of his business. Cutter had different ideas. Teague is familiar with Cutter's ability to detect people who need Foxworth's help and managed to convince Laney to open up. She is worried about her best friend who she hasn't heard from in a month. The police have been no help so she is surprised when Teague accepts her worry and offers to help.

Laney is skeptical about Cutter's abilities but won't say no to Teague's help. I really loved her persistence in trying to find out what happened to her friend. She also wasn't about to sit back and wait for Teague to do all of the work - she was going to be involved every step of the way. She is feeling very guilty about introducing Amber to the man she thinks kidnapped her and beginning to not trust her judgment about men because of it. It doesn't take her long to realize that she can trust Teague. She also discovers that she is really attracted to Teague, but that he is fighting his attraction. I really liked the way that Laney seems to understand him so quickly. She gets his feelings and knows when to push for more and when to back off. She gets really frustrated with him when he pushes her away claiming that it's all reaction to the situation. I loved the culmination of the search and Laney's part in it. I also loved the final scene with Teague, Laney and Cutter and Cutter's part in bringing them together throughout the book.

Teague has been working for Foxworth for several years and has come to trust Cutter. He doesn't understand how the dog does what he does, but has learned to accept it. Cutter's insistence on helping Laney is unexpected but after hearing her story Teague is convinced that she is right to be worried. It also reminds him of the disappearance of his sister which contributes to his need to help. He feels an attraction to Laney immediately, but his sense of honor won't allow him to get involved with a client. I really liked the way that he appreciated her intelligence and sense of humor. I also loved the way that he told her about things that he didn't usually tell people, as if he knew that she was going to mean something special to him. He really fought his feelings, trying to convince himself that what she was feeling was simply reaction to the stress of the situation, but she wasn't going along with it. I liked the way that he accepted her need to be part of the search and that he was able to include her even when he was worried about her safety.

I enjoyed the suspense of the story even though it wasn't particularly intense or dangerous until the very end. It was far more about the friendship between Laney and Amber and how it caused Laney's concern over Amber's safety. It was also about the developing relationship between Teague and Laney and the trust between them. I love these Cutter stories and adore the dog. I would really like to see Rafe's story come soon. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Jul 13, 2013 |
Even though this is the third book in Davis's Cutter's Code series, it worked just fine as a stand-alone. It's my first book by this author, but it won't be my last--I enjoyed the characters quite a bit (Teague and Laney were well written, and I especially liked the camaraderie between the people working at the Foundation--and loved Cutter, of course), and have already added the first two in the series to my TBR list. Operation Blind Date was an entertaining read that kept me turning the pages; a fun, lazy summer day read. Even though the romance wasn't *really* in suspense, the mystery was pretty good; the author threw in a few twists to the plot that I didn't see coming ahead of time. ( )
  beckymmoe | Jul 9, 2013 |
4 STARS

Cutter's Code #3

Operation Blind Date is good read. It is the first of the Cutter's Code series that I have read. I wish I had read the first two they sound good what little I know about them. Cutter is a dog who showed up and gets people to do what he wants. The people of the Foxworth Foundation trust him. They put a lot of faith in that dog.

Cutter was done at the groomers and Teague was asked to pick him up. When he did he realized the groomer had been crying. Teague hates dealing with woman's tears. But Cutter won't let him go till he finds out what's wrong.

Laney after a few minutes tells him about her friend Amber that she lined up for a blind date is missing. No one the police or even her friend's family think anything is wrong.

Amber has sent text messages from her phone and even email saying she is going away with a guy. Laney knows their is something not write about the texts. When she texts back asking questions they are never answered either. Amber always texts and called her everyday. She has not done anything for Amber to behave differently with her.

Teague tells her that his company can help. That they don't charge anything but if they take the case they don't quit until it is solved or the client tells them to quit. Teague has never taken a client to his boss before. His boss has rules about what cases and when to show where their office is.

Quinn listens to Laney and Teague tell her problem, then when Teague tells Quinn that Cutter really decided that Laney needs their help. Quinn agrees right then to take Laney's case. They will find out if Amber is just with a new boyfriend and in love or if something else is wrong.

The story builds slowly till you are in deep into the story. I like Cutter and would to read the others stories about him. I like that Laney is trying to do everything to find her friend. She notices that the information in the texts are not right. Laney cares about Amber and is willing to do anything to find her. Has lots of drama and some action. Lots of good guys. Couple of Love scenes that I skipped over.

I would also like to read more about the Foxworth Foundation and see all that they do to help others. What a great idea. Reminds me of the old TV series Equalizer kind of.

I was given this ebook to read and asked to give honest review of it by Netgalley.
07/01/2013 PUB Harlequin Romantic Suspense 288 pages ISBN:9780373278299 ( )
  rhonda1111 | Jun 30, 2013 |

"Weeping in front of customers isn't Laney Adams's style. She would have gone unnoticed if security expert Teague Johnson hadn't come to her grooming shop to pick up his boss's dog, Cutter. Something about Teague-or maybe it's the uncannily perceptive canine-compels her to open up about her best friend who's gone missing and how she feels responsible. The confession reminds Teague of his own secret guilt. He can't turn away. With the help of the Foxworth Foundation-and Cutter-Laney and Teague launch a dangerous search that leads to unexpected twists...and undeniable passion"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,458,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible