A Texas Hero by Linda Warren

Good story about two people learning to trust and love again. Strong characters and good storyline. I would recommend to everyone. ( )
  Bette_Hansen | Nov 3, 2015 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this story. It has a bit of everything, but it’s balanced well. We get the views of Abby, Ethan, both of their parents, and Ethan’s daughter. It goes back and forth between the characters thoughts, the events happening to them and it is done very good. The story flows and didn’t feel choppy. I liked the fact that along with the romance and angst that went along with that, there was also action, danger, and mystery. The interpersonal dynamics within each family was explained but not overdone. I particularly liked the funny ways/words Ethan’s dad tried to not cuss around his granddaughter.

Both Ethan and Abby has issues to deal with, both personal and familial issues. Some of these are talked about between the two as they try to get out of the woods with their lives. They are drawn to each other and struggling for survival both helps that along and keeps it from developing. The night they spend on the front porch of an abandoned cabin was as steamy as the hot summer night.

I recommend this to anyone looking for a good CR with just enough action and angst.

(I received a copy for an honest review.) ( )
  Tala2cubs | Sep 3, 2014 |
Very good book. Abby and Ethan meet when she causes him to rear-end her car. When they meet at the bank where she works to exchange information they end up in the middle of a bank robbery. They are taken hostage, then escape only to end up in the middle of a wildfire. All the danger they are going through causes them to form a strong bond, but neither is in a good place to start a relationship. They part ways only to be brought together again and again by Ethan's investigation of the robbery. There's something strange going on there and Ethan wants to get to the bottom of it.

I really liked both Abby and Ethan. Abby divorced her husband when she discovered he was cheating on her. She refuses to take any of his money but has no choice but to allow him visitation with their daughter Chloe. Doug has a bad habit of bailing out of his visitations putting more stress on Abby. On this day he had done the same thing causing Abby to run late for work. She notices Ethan's good looks and the zing she feels when she sees him but is in no mood to pursue it. When they end up taken hostage together she finds his calm, take charge manner both frustrating and reassuring. As they work together to escape the robbers and then the wildfire Abby finds herself more and more attracted to Ethan. He makes her feel things she had never felt before. He also does great things for the confidence that had been shredded by her ex-husband. After they are rescued she doesn't expect to see him again and is happy when she does. I loved the way that Ethan gave her the confidence to stand up to her ex, who is desperately trying to get Abby to come back to him and give him another chance. I really liked seeing how her time with Ethan gave her the confidence to mend her relationship with her stepmother and to stand up to her ex's manipulations. She confesses her love to Ethan but is hurt by what she sees as his putting his job before their love. She did a good amount of growing up in this book as she learned when to stand on her own and when to let someone help her. I loved the ending with the revelation of who was behind the robbery and why it was done.

Ethan is not having a good day. He was up all night working on a case and is late getting home to take his daughter riding. He wasn't happy about Abby's causing of the accident and is pretty rude to her because of it. When the robbery happens and they are taken hostage his cop training takes over and he takes charge of their safety. I loved seeing him fight the attraction while not being able to stay away. Even after their rescue he isn't able to get Abby out of his mind. Ethan is also trying to get to know his twelve year old daughter who he just got custody of. I loved seeing him try to cope with various issues. I also enjoyed his relationship with his dad, who is trying to follow Ethan's ban on cursing around Kelsey. His replacement words are really funny. As Ethan gets more involved with trying to solve the robbery he also gets in deeper with Abby. He is reluctant to pursue a relationship because he wants to concentrate on Kelsey but he can't help it. He is determined to solve the case of the robbery but also discovers that he is losing his objectivity as he gets more deeply involved in the case. I loved his persistence and the way he finally figured it out. Then all he has to do is find the courage to reach for a future with Abby.

The action in the book was intense from the beginning. Between the robbery and the fire I just couldn't read fast enough. I had my suspicions about the bad guy early on, but the motivation wasn't really clear until the end. I also enjoyed the secondary characters, from Kelsey's rebelliousness and turnaround to Ethan's dad's help with her. I also liked the story with Abby's stepmother and the way that Abby and Gayle finally began to relate. I'm also looking forward to the stories for Ethan's friends Carson and Levi. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Jul 17, 2013 |
4 STARS

Willow Creek, Texas miniseries

This book left me with a smile. I really like Ethan's father language shazam! The plot had some nice twists, I guessed who the third man was pretty soon. Not all the motives though. The characters I loved especially all the minor ones. I hope we get to see some of them back in the other books of the series. Their was a few love scenes I skimmed over and one really dirty scene where they were covered in mud.

Abby is divorced mother with Chloe a three year old. She is running late because her ex called and said he could not take Chloe like he planned. Abby had to call her father for help with baby sitting. On her way to work she was frustrated and passed her exit and stopped in the middle of the road and was rear ended. She got off the phone and told the angry truck owner that she would meet him over by the bank to exchange information. The bank was in sight.

Ethan was on his way home after working all night to go spend time with his daughter he just got custody. He was not in the mood to be in a accident. He followed. as she was giving her name on a card & number the branch manager was about to unlock the door when two men jumped out and made them all go inside. It was a robbery.

The bank robbers heard sirens and they grabbed Abby and were forcing her into their van. Ethan said why don't they take him instead of her and they made both get in. Ethan and Abby were calm. Hours later they were taken inside a rundown cabin in the middle of nowhere. Ethan heard the bank robbers one of them wanted to take Abby with them. Ethan got him and Abby out of a broken window and they ran into the woods. They hid by a down tree. After awhile the bank robbers left them in 102 heat with no water. They started walking out.

Ethan is a detective working homicides. His partner and another friend a cop started working the case. They informed their families that they were kidnapped.

Ethan lived with his dad Walt on a ranch with his twelve year old daughter that he was just getting to know Kelsey. Walt is trying to clean up his language calling people baboons, shih Tzu ect. Kelsey is behind in school. She has never been in one school for a whole year. She is angry and scared at the new changes.

Abby is close to her father Everett but does not get along with her stepmom Gayle. She has never spent a night over at their new house. When ever Abby calls her dad to babysit it causes problems with Gayle. But Everett loves to see his granddaughter and Abby.

Some of the characters you don't like at first but the more you know the more you like them. The bank robbery and kidnapping made changes in a lot of ways to the people around them. I can't wait to read the next book in the series.

I was given this ebook to read and asked to give honest review of it by Netgalley.
07/01/2013 PUB. Harlequin Superromance 304 pages ISBN 9780373718610 ( )
  rhonda1111 | Jun 29, 2013 |
Abby is taken hostage during a bank robbery and Ethan refuses to let the kidnappers take her alone. After escaping their kidnappers, they finally are rescued after a long "journey" trying to find their way back home. And feelings remain long after they return home.

I did not enjoy this book. While, at the beginning, the story was good and the chemisty building, it didn't follow through. The relationship between Ethan and Abby felt forced/rushed and unnatural. Just didn't "click" for me.

I received this ebook in exchange for an honest review for Netgalley. ( )
  Books007 | May 1, 2013 |

Falling for her protector
For single mother Abby Bauman, a failed marriage and a troublesome ex are proof of love gone wrong. But once she's caught up in danger and saved-twice-by take-charge detective Ethan James, she considers whether falling for a true-blue hero is worth the risk. Even now, after the rescue, he seems bent on continuing to protect her and her daughter. Why?

There's more to Ethan's determination to stay close than he's telling her. But when she confronts him, he proves she's more than a means to solve a case. That tempts Abby to take a second chance on trust-and love. Which might be the best choice she's ever made.

"For single mother Abby Bauman, a failed marriage and a troublesome ex are proof of love gone wrong. But once she's caught up in danger and saved--twice--by take-charge detective Ethan James, she considers whether falling for a true-blue hero is worth the risk. Even now, after the rescue, he seems bent on continuing to protect her and her daughter. Why? There's more to Ethan's determination to stay close than he's telling her. But when she confronts him, he proves she's more than a means to solve a case. That tempts Abby to take a second chance on trust--and love. Which might be the best choice she's ever made."--Publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,418,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible