The Civil War: A Narrative: Volume 3: Red…

The Civil War: A Narrative: Volume 3: Red River to Appomattox (1974)

by Shelby Foote

1,320109,104 (4.56)26
Recently added bylarryz223, private library, mchildress03, ejmw, Tim.Roberson, Warnecke, sarahfink628, hosehead51, parklib
Legacy LibrariesNelson Algren
    The Civil War Dictionary by Mark Boatner (wildbill)
    wildbill: excellent reference work

Considered one of best nonfiction books of century by Nat’l Review. It covers the war from 1862 to 1864 and follows the strategies of the North and South, the struggles on and off the field, and the four years that changed America forever.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Jul 29, 2017 |
It took me quite a while to finish this three volume series by Shelby Foote as in this third book I read usually two pages each day. More to savor the experience for as long as I could. I became acquainted with Mr. Foote during the epic Ken Burns series on PBS. He struck me as someone who knew his stuff on this subject and he did not disappoint in print.

Shelby could narrate like no other I have encountered on this great struggle in our nation's history. I was a bit surprised he did not delve much into the tragedy of the Union soldiers at Andersonville. Also the ending of this third and final volume focuses on Jefferson Davis's travails at the conclusion of the war. On balance though each and every twist and turn, victory and defeat is laid out in detail. I was left with the thought that the south given its military leadership only needed the resources to have prevailed. Thankfully they did not have this and we have our nation in its whole. ( )
  knightlight777 | May 13, 2016 |
This is the last book in "The Civil War: A Narrative" trilogy. I love these books and believe them to have excellent writing and detail. Some may find it slow, boring, over detailed, but I adore all that kind of stuff. This is a long book, coming in at 1089 pages, so it's a commitment reading it. I've read the first two volumes and just cannot get over the sheer detail of it. I'm impressed with the writing style in the form of a tale. It's not all facts and figures, but paints a realistic picture of the time. Foote's research of the American Civil War has to have been intense. It shows. Just couldn't put these volumes down. ( )
  Arkrayder | Apr 22, 2016 |
Superlatives cannot describe this work. I've never enjoyed such a historical work more than this one. It is arguably the best work of its kind. You are transported to the events and become an involved observer of the horrific war that changed America forever. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
One of the best Civil War narratives I have ever read. Goes into amazing detail while remaining extremely interesting. A must read for any person interested in the Civil War. ( )
  ClanceyKid | Dec 28, 2011 |

AND THEIR GLORY SHALL NOT BE BLOTTED OUT

THEIR BODIES ARE BURIED IN PEACE
BUT THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE
Ecclesiasticus xliv
Late afternoon of a raw, gusty day in early spring - March 8, a Tuesday, 1864 - the desk clerk at Willard's Hotel, two blocks down Pennsylvania Avenue from the White House, glanced up to find an officer accompanied by a boy of thirteen facing him across the polished oak of the registration counter and inquiring whether he could get a room.
THE CIVIL WAR : A NARRATIVE has been published in 3 volumes, but has also been subdivided differently to be published in 9 volumes and even 14 volumes. Consequently, there are different works numbered "volume 3". This volume 3 - RED RIVER TO APPOMATTOX - is for the series as subdivided into 3 volumes.

"An unparalleled achievement, an American Iliad, a unique work uniting the scholarship of the historian and the high readability of the first-class novelist." —Walker Percy

"I have never read a better, more vivid, more understandable account of the savage battling between Grant's and Lee's armies.... Foote stays with the human strife and suffering, and unlike most Southern commentators, he does not take sides. In objectivity, in range, in mastery of detail in beauty of language and feeling for the people involved, this work surpasses anything else on the subject.... It stands alongside the work of the best of them." —New Republic

"Foote is a novelist who temporarily abandoned fiction to apply the novelist's shaping hand to history: his model is not Thucydides but The Iliad, and his story, innocent of notes and formal bibliography, has a literary design. Not by accident...but for cathartic effect is so much space given to the war's unwinding, it's final shudders and convulsions.... To read this chronicle is an awesome and moving experience. History and literature are rarely so thoroughly combined as here; one finishes this volume convinced that no one need undertake this particular enterprise again." —Newsweek

"The most written-about war in history has, with this completion of Shelby Foote's trilogy, been given the epic treatment it deserves." —Providence Journal

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:46 -0400)

This final volume of Shelby Foote's masterful narrative history of the Civil War brings to life the military endgame, the surrender at Appomattox, and the tragic dénouement of the war--the assassination of President Lincoln.   Features maps throughout.   "An unparalleled achievement, an American Iliad, a unique work uniting the scholarship of the historian and the high readability of the first-class novelist." --Walker Percy   "To read this chronicle is an awesome and moving experience. History and literature are rarely so thoroughly combined as here; one finishes this volume convinced that no one need undertake this particular enterprise again." --Newsweek   "In objectivity, in range, in mastery of detail, in beauty of language and feeling for the people involved, this work surpasses anything else on the subject. . . . Written in the tradition of the great historian-artists--Gibbon, Prescott, Napier, Freeman--it stands alongside the work of the best of them." --The New Republic   "The most written-about war in history has, with this completion of Shelby Foote's trilogy, been given the epic treatment it deserves." --Providence Journal … (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,298,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible