The Ghost Hunters by Neil Spring

The Ghost Hunters

by Neil Spring

Borley Rectory is claimed to be the most haunted house in England. In this fictional account real life ghost hunter Harry Price goes to investigate. The story is told by Sarah Grey who is a fictional character.

This book isn't what I thoughg it would be. I was expecting more about Borley Rectory and its ghosts. The book focused more on Sarah Grey and Harry Price.

I managed to plough through half of the book but I'm afraid I have given up. The story for me wasn't going anywhere and I was getting very bored. So for now I've left the book unfinished. Not perhaps the best book to read for Halloween. ( )
  tina1969 | Oct 29, 2016 |
Fascinated by Borley Rectory as a child, I had high hopes for this one. It wasn't just disappointing, it was dreadful. Utterly ridiculous and poorly written. Read Harry Price's account instead. ( )
  Moomin_Mama | Jul 30, 2016 |
An excitingly scary story involving Harry, a ghost hunter and his new assistant Sarah who are called to a country house to investigate a supposed haunting, with a ghostly nun thrown in!
Looking forward to seeing the T V version later this year!
I was given a digital copy of this book by the publisher Quercus Books via Netgalley in return for an honest review. ( )
  Welsh_eileen2 | Jan 23, 2016 |
Based on fact - or as much fact is any involved in stories of hauntings - The Ghost Hunters is a very interesting account of Borley Rectory and the role Harry Price paid in investigating this, and other so-called supernatural phenomena in the early 20th Century.

The book takes the form of a fictional memoir penned by his secretary Sarah Grey: Price was neither attractive not particularly likable but Sarah falls in love with him and his work. The two of them work to expose frauds, always hoping to discover a genuine manifestation.

In Borley Rectory Price thought he succeeded: history does not agree and it is probable the 'most haunted house in England' was an early Amityville. Author Neil Spring is a believer however and has produced and interesting and readable novel. replete with floor plans and pictures. ( )
  adpaton | May 26, 2015 |
I read a lot of ghost stories. I write them, too. Perhaps this makes me harder to impress. I don't know.

All I know is the The Ghost Hunters was a disappointment.

It could have lost 100 pages, easily, without damaging the story at all. 150 pagews gone might have improved it. I understand that Spring was trying to capture the more formal style of writing and speaking common in the 20's, but it ended coming across as unbelievable and contrived.

Any spooky and scary moments were sadly lost among interminable waffle. We were at page 190 before anything even vaguely related to the story I was promised showed up. If that time had been spent on the later creepiness with the dark women and the curse, it would have been a much better book.

I didn't like Sarah. I didn't believe her. She didn't seem real. Her whole life was subsumed by this unpleasant man and despite how hard other characters tried to impress me with her intelligence she seemed willfully ignorant and stupid. Despite being the protagonist she did very little, and had to be told the truth by another man.

The reveal, that she got pregnant, and the baby was the man who found her narrative was so obvious it made me roll my eyes.

Good potential, sadly wasted. ( )
  Violetthedwarf | Oct 23, 2014 |
added by gsc55 | editPink News, Staff Writer (Apr 25, 2013)

'Of all ghosts, the ghosts of our old loves are the worst."

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
This novel is dedicated to my Mum and Dad, and my brother James.
There had always been rumours about the eight floor.

Welcome to Borley Rectory, the most haunted house in England.

The year is 1926 and Sarah Grey has landed herself an unlikely new job – personal assistant to Harry Price, London’s most infamous ghost hunter. Equal parts brilliant and charming, neurotic and manipulative, Harry has devoted his life to exposing the truth behind England’s many ‘false hauntings’, and never has left a case unsolved, nor a fraud unexposed.

So when Harry and Sarah are invited to Borley Rectory – a house so haunted objects frequently fly through the air unbidden, and locals avoid the grounds for fear of facing the spectral nun that walks there – they’re sure that this case will be just like any other. But when night falls and still no artifice can be found, the ghost hunters are forced to confront an uncomfortable truth: the ghost of Borley Rectory may be real and, if so, they’re about to make its most intimate acquaintance.

Welcome to Borley Rectory, the most haunted house in England. It is 1926 and Sarah Grey is personal assistant to Harry Price, London's most infamous ghost hunter. Harry has devoted his life to exposing the truth behind England's many 'false hauntings'. So when Harry and Sarah are invited to Borley Rectory - a house so haunted that objects frequently fly through the air unbidden, and locals avoid the grounds for fear of facing the spectral nun that walks there - they're sure that this case will be just like any other. But when night falls and no artifice can be found, the ghost hunters are forced to confront the possibility that the ghost may be real.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,934,433 books! | Top bar: Always visible