Skin Deep (Skin Deep, #1) by J. M. Stone

Skin Deep (Skin Deep, #1)

by J. M. Stone

This book was quite good in a lot of ways;

Firstly, it wasn't an insta-love, the relationship built over a reasonable amount of time! YAY!!!

Secondly, there was a lot of snarkiness and wit, which I love.

Thirdly, the BFF was actually a good friend!

Fourthly, there was a lot of interaction described between the characters, you really felt like you were there! That added a nice flavor to the whole book.

But I also had a number of issues with the book, and they were such big issues that I was very tempted to give the book 3stars instead of 4. However, because it wasn't an insta-love book and was very 'flavorful' I left it with 4.
My complaints are:

1. I thought that Emma was MUCH too hard and bitchy towards the wanna be home-wrecker. As I read the scene, she wasn't trying to steal her man, but didn't know he was taken, add to that she was obviously in love with him too. I felt sorry for her because she'd obviously been in love with him for a long time, but he clearly didn't feel the same about her. So, yeah, the girl was a bitch, but I think Emma was a bigger bitch about it. But, that's easy to say when it's not happening to you! hehehe.

2. (And this is my big peeve)
>>>>>>>>>> Spoiler Emma should NOT have been driving herself to work after the caller started leaving shit on her car windshield!!!! And at the very least, she should never have been walking to her car alone!!!!! This really bugged me. I don't care that the caller was harassing her for months, or had faded off. If you are getting sick calls with threats like "you will never humiliate me again" after finding out he follows you HOME!!! You do NOT fucking walk to the car alone! EVER! And at the very fucking least, IF you are gonna walk to car alone, than have some fucking protection!!! That was just so fucking stupid to me. Here is a guy trailing you, spying on you having sex, leaving flowers on your car, and saying scary shit, what the fuck are you doing being left alone, ever!?! Yeah, that pissed me off. So much for protecting your woman! So much for smarts!
>>>>>>>>>> End Spoiler
So, I liked this book a lot, but I had serious issues with it. I didn't love it, but I liked it more than a typical romance of this sort.
  aVamp1r3 | Nov 25, 2014 |
Really good book about Luke, who decides he wants Emma. Luke is a very dominant guy, and the sex was pretty damn hot, although I wish there had been a bit less of it after awhile.

Emma was sweet but spunky without being bitchy. She wasn't afraid to stand up for herself, but she did cave pretty easily to Luke's gorgeous blue-grey eyes.

I did feel a bit like the stalker plot was tacked in there as an afterthought, that barely added any conflict to the story until the last 8% of the book.

Content warning: spanking, light bondage, one scene where Luke's friend Jackson watches them have sex, and a fairly brutal attack near the end, that thankfully does NOT involve rape.

Bitchie | Sep 21, 2013 |
It was probably one of the best group of characters I've ever read in a book!!!
And the story was just so different from any other...It had the right amount of romance,intrigue,drama,mystery and Doug(if you read the book,you know what I mean xoxo)...
It was such fun to read!!!I kept laughing so hard during reading some pages I can't even explain..I laughed especially with Brandon..He is the (hot) sweetheart of the book and Doug is probably the heart...
FUN LOVE MYSTERY DRAMA...What else can a reader need from a book??!! ( )
  cool_mia | Jun 8, 2013 |
Emma falls for Luke hard the first time she meets him. Literally, she falls flat on her face and busts her lip. When that is your first impression, you can only get better from there, right? Emma and Luke's love story sweet. The sex is hot. If that was all there is to the story, it wouldn't have been as good. Stone's secondary characters, Allie, Jackson, Brandon, and Emma's family give it the oomph to send it over the moon. I was not expecting the deeper story line with the antagonist but it was a nice addition. I believe this is J.M. Stone's debut novel. She entered the scene with a bang.

Read more reviews at despoinapersephone.blogspot.com ( )
  SephOfErebus | May 20, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,571,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible