Screwed: A Novel by Eoin Colfer

Screwed: A Novel

by Eoin Colfer

Synopsis/blurb........

Ex-army sergeant Daniel McEvoy is ready to say goodbye New Jersey's lawless underworld and concentrate on his new life as club owner and bona fide boyfriend. But when he's abducted and driven into the Hudson by a vengeful crime boss, he realises that the New Jersey underworld isn't ready to say goodbye to him.

If Dan is to survive, he will have to evade bad guys on both sides of the law and find the missing aunt who once taught him how to handle boobs.

Eoin Colfer, author of the Artemis Fowl novels, turns his outstanding talent to a world as criminally funny as it is dark and compelling.

Well I had been looking forward to this for a few months now, having lapped up the first Colfer crime caper, Plugged when it came out back in 2011. Plugged introduced us to Daniel McEvoy and his small circle of friends, Zeb, Sofia, Jason and Ronelle. Fast, fun and fresh it was one of my best reads of 2011.

Second time around for McEvoy and the gang and I was bored and unimpressed for the most part. I can typically gauge my gut reaction to how a book is going by the speed at which I read it. This was 310 pages long and it took me a week or thereabouts to get to the halfway point. Never a good sign.

Yesterday morning, on page 164 Colfer has McEvoy musing ......"If it was up to me, I would throw in the towel right now and spare myself the rest of this shitty day." Spooky how at that particular moment in time I couldn’t have felt any closer to Daniel!

However, being made of sterner stuff I cracked on and it improved enough for me to knock off the remaining half of the book yesterday morning and evening. There were a few chuckles to be had and some enjoyable passages, particularly when McEvoy was at the mercy of the dodgy cops, Fortz and Krieger and also when he dealt with Freckles and Shea-ster. These glimpses of sunshine alone weren’t sufficient to overcome what was for me a dull and uninspiring book.

McEvoy in the two years since I read the last outing is in exactly the same place emotionally as he was before. We have the same flashbacks and memories of his abusive father and difficult childhood. He has the same relationship issues with his delusional on/off (or never on to be more accurate) “girlfriend” Sofia. He shares the same tired banter with his irritating friend Zeb and his nemesis Mike is still on the scene. Colfer puts McEvoy into situations with firearms that you know won’t result in him taking decisive action which could have concluded the book a hundred pages earlier.....why not?

In the final analysis, I was deeply disappointed having expected much more. I haven’t been put off Colfer totally and I would read him again but not with the same cast of characters.

Oscillating between scoring it a 2 and a 3. Disappointment prevails 2 from 5

I borrowed my copy from my local library.

col2910 | Apr 17, 2014 |
The sequel to his darkly humorous crime novel "Plugged", this continues the tale of Dan McEvoy, a can't-catch-a-break owner of a New Jersey club. The previous book ended with a tenuous truce with local kingpin Irish Mike Madden; here the truce dissolves when McEvoy's leverage disappears in an accidental death, and he is forced to perform a seemingly simple task for Madden. If you combined the styles of Douglas Adams and Jimmy Breslin, you'd get something very like this noir escapade. ( )
  burnit99 | Sep 5, 2013 |
Synopsis/blurb........
Yesterday morning, on page 164 Colfer has McEvoy musing ......If it was up to me, I would throw in the towel right now and spare myself the rest of this shitty day. Spooky how at that particular moment in time I couldn’t have felt any closer to Daniel!
Oscillating between scoring it a 2 and a 3. Disappointment prevails 2 from 5
I borrowed my copy from my local library. ( )
  col2910 | Aug 22, 2013 |
Screwed is the second book in an adult crime series by famed Artemis Fowl author Eoin Colfer. It continues the story of Daniel McEvoy from the novel Plugged, following on a few months later and begins with the news that Irish Mike's mother has died. This is bad news for Daniel, since small time mobster Irish Mike was giving him a pass on the basis that he had a friend back in Ireland keeping an eye on her (with a threat that should Mike hurt Daniel, Mike's ma would be placed in a similar condition).

Now, Daniel has to go to Mike's club and see what the price for his prior indiscretions (he killed a good number of Mike's men in the first book) will be. He is told to deliver a package to another mob-boss up in NYC. Daniel figures this might be a set-up, but he has no idea the mess he is about to get involved in. Long-lost relatives turn up and there's an escapade (or should I say "sexcapade") with some dirty cops.

As with the first book, if violence or foul language bothers you, stay away. In this case, if you particularly abhor comedic violence with sex toys, find another read. If you can appreciate the humor in bizarre situations filled with even more bizarre characters, then read Plugged first and get Screwed next. Er, you know what I mean... ( )
  horomnizon | Jul 12, 2013 |

When Irish bouncer Dan McEvoy's step-gran shows up on the hunt for his dishevelled aunt Evelyn, it quickly becomes clear that -- despite the New Jersey mob -- family can provide the deadliest threat of all. In a city of gun-happy criminals, bent cops and a tough-talking woman detective whose inspires terror and lust in equal measure, Dan may just have reached the point where sharp wit won't cut the mustard. But can he play the heavies at their own game?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,054,618 books! | Top bar: Always visible