Beautiful Goodbye by Nancy Runstedler

Beautiful Goodbye

by Nancy Runstedler

After Maggie's dad dies in a car accident, she is depressed and withdrawn. Her family is forced to move to a cheaper place. When Maggie and her best friend Gillian are exploring the attic, they discover a Ouija board. Along with Cole, Maggie's brother, the three are transported back in time to World War I.

I thought this was a well crafted story. It was well written and the characters were believable. The pace moved swiftly and showed the children's growth and development. Overall, I think pre-teens and teenagers will really enjoy this book. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Aug 23, 2013 |

JanaRose1 | Apr 29, 2013 |
I just finished this one and as I find myself in computer class I think I’ll type up a quick review. Beautiful Goodbye is about Maggie, a young girl who is trying to deal with the death of her father and the fact that this has resulted in her family having to move to a more affordable home. In the new house Maggie goes exploring in the attic with her younger brother Cole and her best friend Gillian and they find an Ouija Board. What do three young people do when they find an Ouija Board? Try it of course! (But for real- Ouija Boards scare the crap out of me so I would probably not have touched it.) They meet a spirit named Hope who needs their help, which sends the kids on a trip back to the twentieth century during World War I.
Overall I found the book to be enjoyable and a quick read. Although it is perfectly appropriate for slightly younger reads it still held my attention and I enjoyed all the historical aspects to it. The characters were believable and lovable and the way the author wrote the grieving young Hope and Maggie was extremely well. Full of imagination and history this book is highly recommended for younger teens who like books that deal with history and time travel. ( )
  CaitieM. | Apr 26, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 145970553X, Paperback)

Maggie's life has been anything but easy lately. So when her best friend Gillian discovers a Ouija board in the attic, it's a welcome relief. While they'd rather be at the mall than babysitting Maggie's brother Cole, the girls figure it will be a fun way to spend a Saturday â?? asking questions about boys and other teenage dilemmas. After all, it's just a game. Or is it?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:21 -0400)

Maggie's life has been anything but easy lately. So when her best friend Gillian discovers a Ouija board in the attic, it's a welcome relief. While they'd rather be at the mall than babysitting Maggie's brother Cole, the girls figure it will be a fun way to spend a Saturday asking questions about boys and other teenage dilemmas. After all, it's just a game. Or is it? Thinking nothing could possibly go wrong, the kids dive in, eager to test the new game, but discover the board will change their lives in ways they couldn't have imagined. The trio ends up with more than they bargained for and are thrust into a whirlwind journey. One from which they might never return, if they aren't careful.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,361,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible