Time Flies by Claire Cook

Time Flies

by Claire Cook

This was a novel about two friends of a "certain age" (one I can relate to) who go on a road trip to a class reunion. They were a cross between Thelma and Louise and Romy and Michelle. Their zaniness made me chuckle more than once and I enjoyed the references to the 70s & 80s. Tab - who could forget that nasty stuff? I loved the ending and was glad to see the author didn't go with a predictable one.

Don't take it too seriously and enjoy the ride with Mel and BJ. A funny, charming, beach read for summer. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
After her husband leaves her for another woman, Melanie decides to go on a road trip to her high school reunion in search of direction in her life, but when old fears resurface, they threaten to derail an adventure of a lifetime.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Dec 16, 2016 |
Started out nicely but became boring and juvenile.DNF ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
Fun and easy read; enjoyable chick lit. ( )
  nljacobs | Jan 19, 2016 |
I loved this book (as I am so in the age bracket)! It has everything from BFFs, Thelma and Louise, music, humor, road trip, high school reunions, and phobias. I so related to this story, as also developed a highway phobia for about 3 yrs. ---and I also lived in Atlanta (inside the perimeter off Paces Ferry Road in Vinings). I had no issues when I moved there in 1994; however, worked from home as a publisher, with high stress and deadlines and became very dizzy especially on I-285, bridges and highways with like 6-12 lanes with different levels and a lot going on.

I literally had to Mapquest routes everywhere to refrain from getting on I-285 when going on business calls (do you know how difficult this is in Atlanta)? Especially when my commercial real estate clients were all over the city. I finally had to take a cab to the airport when traveling or take the back way to Camp Creek Parkway and park at the parking spot. So weird as for years drove in this traffic with no issues. Of course on I-285 they drive like nuts, as bad as Miami,FL! I would literally freeze on I-285, the same as Melanie in the book! It is a horrible feeling.

The doctor told me I had issues with my Peripheral vision (a part of vision that occurs outside the very center of gaze). He stated if I am on a bridge with numerous roads, levels, cars, curves, etc…my eyes want to stay focused on all these elements and cannot focus on what is in front of me, thereby causing my dizziness -- causing a phobia of being dizzy and feel yourself leaning to the right. (Maybe this was Melanie’s issue :)

Will add some humor here – I began dating a guy in 2001, who lived OTP (outside the perimeter –which is a NO NO). He was 8 yrs younger and definitely worth the trip. The first time he invited me to his house (Lake Lanier as far as you can get outside the perimeter in Dahlonega, GA)-- I had to take the back way from Vinings (wow, did he have to hold dinner and blow out the candles numerous times, as I was so late, but of course I blamed it on traffic as always a good excuse, or an accident in Atlanta). I kept my phobia a secret.

Anyway, I had to get on GA-400 which is not a big deal as pretty flat and no big bridges. Because I loved going to his house, I had to force myself to get over it and since then no issues for highways. However, to this day, I have issues with the bridge on I-95 in Jacksonville and not a lot of way to get around it-- (numerous levels and roads with multi-things going on, Sunshine Skyway Bridge in Tampa, Spaghetti junction, and bridge I-285/I-75 in Atlanta. Had to share this story, as sure there are other out there as well.

Thanks again, Claire for this incredible book, as could so relate and feel as though I found my BFF! It will definitely make you laugh and want to be right there with the gals with the top down (I had a red Miata convertible then traded it for an SUV).

BTW (the truck driver in the story was a riot)! Look forward to reading more --a must read!
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |

A recently separated woman faces her highway driving phobia and takes a road trip with her best friend to their high school reunion.

Claire Cook is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,423,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible