For Honor We Stand by H. Paul Honsinger

For Honor We Stand

by H. Paul Honsinger

Series: Man of War (2)

I was worried that I had not read the first book in this series. Turns out that was not a problem. I was worried that a military sci-fi book would not be in my range finder. Turns out that was not a problem. I was worried that all we were going to get were intense blast-them-out-of-the-sky battles. Turns out that, too, was not a problem. What we have is a wang-doodle space opera. Lots of action, humor, character development, with one flaw. No women. No women on a futuristic space vessel? The author explains this very late in the book. I loved reading this book but I am still finding that aspect lame. I'll just go back to polishing my ray gun now. My thanks to the author and Goodreads for a complimentary copy of this work. ( )
  musichick52 | Aug 24, 2014 |
For Honor We Stand is the second novel of the Man of War trilogy; the first is To Honor You Call Us. If you like military science fiction, don’t miss these.
These are Honsinger’s first novels, but you would never know it. The writing is excellent. Many aspects of the characters and the political situation are only revealed as the story unfolds, rather than being thrown at you in pages of expository prose.
The plot is basic - implacable aliens out to destroy humankind - but the details are fascinating. There are detailed ship-to-ship and small unit actions enough to satisfy Honor Harrington fans.
The naval lore is fascinating, both the old terrestrial navy traditions that have survived, and the new traditions of the Union Navy. Honsinger openly acknowledges his debt to Patrick O’Brian, and this might appeal to those who ordinarily aren’t big SF fans.
The third volume, Brothers in Valor, is due out later in 2014. ( )
  WaltNoise | Apr 6, 2014 |

H. Paul Honsingerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Molica, GeneCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 148268585X, Paperback)

Max is back! Captain Max Robichaux, Doctor Ibrahim Sahin, and the crew of the Union Space Navy Khyber Class Destroyer, USS Cumberland, return for more dangerous missions in For Honor We Stand, Volume II of the Man of War trilogy, the exciting sequel to the military science-fiction best-seller To Honor You Call Us. The date is March 15, 2315. The Earth Union has been at war with the Krag Hegemony for more than thirty years. The Krag are slowly winning. With less than two months of warship command under his belt, 28 year old Captain Max Robichaux faces a series of challenges that would daunt the fleet’s most experienced skippers. His trials include playing a life and death game of hide and seek among the complex moon system of an exotic alien planet, defending a critical diplomatic convoy against ruthless Krag assault, and working with allied commanders to save their moored fleet from a Pearl Harbor-like sneak attack. And, when he isn’t dodging nuclear-tipped missiles and pulse cannon blasts, the young skipper must navigate his way through encounters with dangerous and advanced aliens, thorny crew training and proficiency issues, clashes with superiors, and a below-decks conspiracy that threatens the lives of every man on board. Meanwhile, Doctor Sahin receives a coded message summoning him to a secret meeting that could forge an alliance changing the balance of power in Known Space. But, first, he has to get past the fighter ships and heavily armed special forces troops of the traitorous Emir trying to kill him before he can even sit down at the negotiating table. On the heels of these adventures, both men must call upon their developing skills and their growing friendship to bear the burden of carrying between the Krag Hegemony and the Earth Union a fateful ultimatum and the shocking answer: an answer that could spell eternal slavery, or even extinction, for all mankind. For Honor We Stand is a twenty-fourth century swashbuckler, combining elements of Military Science Fiction, Space Opera and the classic English novels about the Age of Sail into what the authors call “Space Naval Fiction.” It is both timeless and futuristic: the age old tale of men going to war in ships--played out, not on the Earth’s turbulent oceans, but in the cold, dark, vast battleground of space. For Honor We Stand is a full length, 154,000 + word novel and is the second volume of the Man of War trilogy. The third volume, Brothers in Valor, is planned for release in mid-2013. After completion of the Man of War series, the authors plan many more books following the further adventures of Captain Robichaux and Doctor Sahin. The next trilogy is tentatively entitled The Sting of Battle. Its first volume, now with the working title of Blood, Toil, Tears and Sweat is currently planned for release in late 2013 or early 2014.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:39 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,446,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible