A Hostage to Heritage: A Michael Stoddard…

A Hostage to Heritage: A Michael Stoddard American Revolution Thriller

by Suzanne Adair

112820,536 (5)None

A Hostage To Heritage is the second book in the Michael Stoddard American Revolution Thriller series. This is a wonderful historical mystery that is more mystery than historical, but still, it gives the reader a chance to experience the solving of a mystery without the use of a cell phone, DNA and all the other items of technology we have today. Reading about this period of time always makes me appreciate our life today. I remember reading about the Battle of Yorktown back in the dark ages, but wasn't aware that there may have been more battles fought in South Carolina, than the other colonies. I feel that it is a plus when I can learn something from my reading.

This book can be read as a "stand alone", but I would suggest also reading Regulated For Murder to learn a little more about Stoddard and his assistant, Spry. Stoddard also has appeared, in a minor role in Adair's other books. Mrs. Chiswell , who has a minor roll in this book, was the main character in Camp Follower. If you love historical mysteries, like myself, you might want to check out Adair's other books, too.

Michael Stoddard, having some just returned from chasing some rebels who have been terrorizing the city of Wilmington, NC., has been ordered to see his commander immediately. Major Craig informs Stoddard that he has an important mission to handle and expects Stoddard to remain in Wilmington and to capture the rebels he had been chasing earlier. Soon, they are pursuing Love and Jones, but once again lose them and upon returning to garrison they are summoned to Dr. Clayton's infirmary.. Three dead bodies have been brought in to the infirmary, a man and two young boys. They had been shot and killed as they, and a gang of young boys, attacked the traveling party of Lady Faisleigh. Stoddard and Spry immediately call on Lady Faisleigh to learn more of the incident once there Stoddard realizes that she is someone out of his past and hope she doesn't recognize him. He soon learns that Lady Faisleigh son was kidnapped during the attack. After talking with the boys tutor, Mr. De Manning and with the Lady's maids and with Lady Faisleigh herself, it's unclear the reason for the kidnapping as there has been no ransom demanded for Lord Wynndon.

As the investigation continues, Stoddard and Spry have more questions than answers. Putting the past aside with tavern owner, Kate Duncan, Stoddard is able to gain valuable information and an understanding of some local maps that will help him narrow the search for missing Lord Wynndon.

This was a very enjoyable book for me. The author provides the reader with many twists and turns, that kept me guessing to end. A well told story that will give all a better understanding of life in the late 1700's.

Adair also provides the reader with a cast of characters and an extensive bibliography.

Looking forward to the next book in the series to see challenges are handed to Michael Stoddard and his assistant, Spry. ( )
  FredYoder | Oct 12, 2015 |

yoder | Sep 20, 2013 |

Suzanne Adair is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,139,743 books! | Top bar: Always visible