Boy, Lost by Kristina Olsson

Boy, Lost (2013)

by Kristina Olsson

The amazing aspect of this book is the depths to which the author explores the minds of her characters. She relates so much of what is going on the head and heart of each person, that I began to wonder if I was reading a novel. Indeed, Kristina Olsson would forgive me, I hope, for thinking she was making it up. But towards the end of this family memoir, we glean a little of the many hours she has spent with each person, undoubtedly probing and feeding back what she was hearing. As a result we have profundity as well as drama. The story is titled "Boy, Lost" but its span is much wider. A memorable read. ( )
  PhilipJHunt | Jul 23, 2017 |
A heartbreaking memoir about a family with a missing piece. There's solace to be found in the life that Olsson's mother manages to piece together after her horrific first marriage and the loss of her first child, but it's riven through with sadness and regret. The ending felt a little rushed, and the author sweeps aside some potentially interesting post-reunion tensions between mother and son, but there's a terrific/awful story here that deserves a wide audience. ( )
  mjlivi | Feb 2, 2016 |
For my mother and Peter
For my father and Sharon
For Lennart, Ashley and Andrew
Cairns railway station, far north Queensland, summer, 1950

A powerful family memoir from the award-winning author of The China Garden Kristina Olsson's mother lost her infant son, Peter, when he was snatched from her arms as she boarded a train in the hot summer of 1950.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,439,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible