Japantown: A Thriller (A Jim Brodie Novel)…

Japantown: A Thriller (A Jim Brodie Novel)

by Barry Lancet

Found as 2015 Shamus Award Finalist. First in series. BOOK is in Merlin. ( )
  rwt42 | Sep 25, 2016 |
An exciting thriller - plan to read others in the series. ( )
  BrianEWilliams | Mar 23, 2016 |
I really wanted to give this book 5 stars but there are two reasons why I didn't.
First the good. This reminded me of old Dirk Pitt books, lots of action and ingenious bad guys. I also like the introduction to Japanese culture and the way the Japanese behave.
The two downsides were:
1. The bad guys behaving like those in James Bond movies where instead of just shooting Mr Bond they talk forever, giving Bond time to escape and or kill them.
2. Any of the chapters with the Brodie's kid in them. I was like enough already. Jenny the lead character's 6 year old was annoying, and the dialog between daddy and daughter was cloying, so much so that if she had played a bigger part, I doubt I would read other books by this author.
That said I will continue with the series, hoping the daughter is not a part of future plots. ( )
  zmagic69 | Mar 12, 2016 |
Lancet did a very good job writing this book. The characters were well drawn out and the plot just thickened and thickened. Enjoyed reading it very much because it was a "full bodied" mystery, not just a quick read. Obviously this is a book in which the main character has been written about in other books.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms" "Wesley's Wars" "To Whom It May Concern" and "Tell Me About the United Methodist Church" ( )
  whoizme8 | Dec 11, 2015 |
Suspense with quite a bit of blood and gore. Shadow power, conspiracy theories, ninja-like assassins! The writing is quick paced, but this is a bit shallow and a few too many plot twists and coincidences. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
“There are only two kinds of music," Duke Ellington may have said, "the good kind and the other kind." Books, like music, should also be judged in terms of their quality rather than their category—are they the good kind or the other kind? To assume that because a book belongs to a given genre it is, therefore, inferior to literary fiction (which does not float above genre, but is a genre) is simply lazy. Discernment is always necessary.
added by dcozy | editKyoto Journal, David Cozy (Oct 21, 2013)

A wise man hears what makes no sound and sees what has no shape.
                                       -ZEN PROVERB
To my parents, Bob and Lenny, for their unflagging support, and to those of my Japanese friends who have always felt "hemmed in."
Two shades of red darkened the Japantown concourse by the time I arrived.

An American antiques dealer-turned-reluctant private investigator draws on his knowledge of Japanese culture to assist the San Francisco police department with the senseless murder of an entire family.

Barry Lancet is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,075,500 books! | Top bar: Always visible