Police Your Planet by Lester Del Rey

Police Your Planet (1956)

by Lester Del Rey

196388,626 (3.31)7

Bruce Gordon was exiled from Earth to Mars and he decided he was going to look out for himself. He bought a commission in the police force and found that graft was an official lifestyle on Mars. A hard-boiled detective a la Dashiell Hammett living on Mars. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 18, 2017 |
This is a classic of Science Fiction.

More people of course who profess the love of Science Fiction need to search out and read such classics. It explains how we got to what is currently read. It shows the forms and precepts that got us to this point.

Del Rey of course is a master and later in life became a well known editor with his own imprint of books. The story deals with not just the idea of Mars and what we might expect if we ever get there. It deals with man and how man reacts to the situations in his life, whether on Mars, or here on Earth.

That is what makes the story masterful. Why it should be read. It clarifies for us that men can do things for noble reasons, for justice, or because it is the means to the next meal. Police Your Planet has us thinking what would we do, if we were asked to take a stand. If we knew that there was such terrible corruption holding back the very oxygen we need to breath, would we do what was right, or what was expedient.

If you have never read this, it is one to read. I used to read it every other year. Now, having passed the middle of life, I will undoubtedly read it again. ( )
  DWWilkin | Dec 3, 2012 |
Lester del Rey in good form.

Bruce gordon, ex-boxer, ex-cop, ex-reporter is exiled to Marsport as an undercover agent for Security. Unwilling and trying to only look out for himself he still harbours some sense of idealism, which is badly misplaced in the wreck on Marsport. By the time he joins the third police force in as many weeks Bruce decides it time for action so drastic no-one else would dare take - and devil to Security and the consequences.

A grim insight into how communities can collapse when corruption takes hold.

Although some of the technology in somewhat unfeasible in light of today's knowledge about Mars, this is a well written short novel. ( )
  reading_fox | Apr 27, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345298586, Mass Market Paperback)

This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally important and have elected to bring the book back into print as part of our continuing commitment to the preservation of printed works worldwide.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:04 -0400)

Bruce Gordon was an ex-fighter, ex-gambler, ex-cop, ex-reporter, and now he was an ex-patriot of Earth. Security shipped him to Mars with a knife, 100 credits, and a yellow card that meant no return. An SF novel that would appeal to Mickey Spillane fans, Police Your Planet features lots of hands-on violence, assorted beatings, and blood. But this isn't just a crime novel put into space; this is a hard sf novel, and the terraforming of Mars, while not dwelt upon, is central to the story.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,420,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible