Notable (Smith High) by Marni Bates

Notable (Smith High)

by Marni Bates

163615,960 (4)None

Review to come :) wow, I love this series so much!
  Emily_Anne | Mar 16, 2014 |
NOTE: I received this eARC via Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

First of all, I want to say that I had no idea this book was part of a series. Some things were lost on me, others were explained, but still. It should've been included somewhere, as part of the info. I don't have time to go look up each and every single book I request, you know?

Second, and I guess there'll be a list this time, is that I liked the voice of the narrator. In this case, it was Chelsea Halloway, the meanest of mean girls at Smith High School. Her voice was fresh, true and free. Which is why I liked how this entire story sounded.

Now sure, the adventure that Chelsea stumbled upon was not the one her father signed her up for. It came out to be a lot more complicated, spending some time in Cambodia. Complicated as in, you never know when you may get dragged into the affairs of a drug dealer of major proportions. Complicated as in, suddenly you're not the stupid girl everyone believes you are, namely because you come to be the master mind behind a grand rescue plan. Complicated as in... a mean girl can actually see more than her own reflection in the mirror?

Notable takes an entirely different look on the story of a regular High School queen, who becomes someone completely new and reliable when danger strikes. The take on Chelsea's character was brilliant. You know how everyone believes that the mean girl isn't really worth much? That her life's perfect and so she wants to make everyone jealous? That there's no substance, no brains or anything else to her?

Well, Marni Bates decided to prove this cliche wrong. Sure, Chelsea wasn't a genius when it came down to math or stuff, but she had incredible social skills and she knew exactly how to take advantage of them. And sometimes, being brainy doesn't prove to be a solution in a tough situation. Sometimes, being ballsy and having critical thinking skills comes more handy.

One last tick on the list, the characters.
I already shared my two cents on Chelsea. I only wanted to mention college student Houston. Gosh, he was like a boulder that could not be moved by any of Chelsea's snide comments. No matter how much she tried to rock him, how she insulted him, teased him, whatever, he was solid rock. And I must say that I loved that about him.

Some guys get really swept by a girl of Chelsea's magnitude. Not Houston. Because he knew her dirty secrets. Or at least he thought he knew them. He called her princess all the time, because well... everyone thought she was nothing short of that term. She was spoiled, she got whatever she wanted, and she had it perfect. Oh, and she complained a lot.

Now what is all this a formula for? Disaster? Love? Incredible adventure? You tell me. The book is all yours! ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
I have been following this series from the start. Each book features a character deeply and in a new way.

Plot: Chelsea is your typical popular gal. Neglected by her parents yet forced to adhere to their standards, Chelsea is forced to leave on trip outside the country in order for her to get her life together. I think this plot plays well with character development as well as plot build up. It builds up nicely with a start that is harsh yet emotional and then flowed onward to a trip of a lifetime.

Chelsea: Even though she is a popular gal and always gets what she wants, she turned out to be quite different than what I thought. I like that the author used Chelsea's popularity to her advantage. You think that just because she is popular and has bad grades doesn't mean she doesn't know anything. She is actually quite smart and uses what she knows to her best ability. Because of her being popular, Chelsea has some thick skin. She is very blunt and very good at hiding any hurt.

Ending: I like the way Chelsea develop over the course of the story. She doesn't completely change and that's okay but she learns to be herself. She learns to love and accept herself.

This is another great addition to the series. Packing a punch with a smart-mouthed gal, Notable is fantastic. ( )
  Bookswithbite | Jan 23, 2014 |

I take no prisoners. I am Chelsea Halloway and I will happily destroy your social life if you mess with me. Just ask anyone. There is no situation I cannot handle. Divorcing parents? No problem. An ex-boyfriend who wants to date Smith High Schools biggest geek instead of me? Just a matter of time before I can make him see reason. At least, until my parents decide to ship me off on a study abroad trip to Cambodia. Now instead of being admired as the queen of the Notables, I am stuck with a bunch of college students who do not take me seriously, and a professor who accidentally landed himself on the wrong side of a drug lord. And it is up to me to get us all out of the country alive even the annoying jerk with the green eyes who will not stop calling me princess. Oh yeah, what could possibly go wrong?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,076,673 books! | Top bar: Always visible