Blowback (A Vanessa Pierson Novel) by…

Blowback (A Vanessa Pierson Novel)

by Valerie Plame

Starts out fairly well with the assassination then plunges into an incoherent web of characters, plots, and sub-plots. Writing also very weak and amateurish. ( )
1 vote VGAHarris | Jan 19, 2015 |
I like, respect, and honor the service Valerie Plame did for our country, so I was inclined to like this first-effort novel, written with a well-seasoned mystery writer, Sarah Lovett. And I did like it; can't say I loved it, but the story got better as the book got into the mean of the espionage. Some elements just a bit too wonky for me to understand and some of the relationships a bit over the top, but if you enjoy the show Homeland, I think you would also enjoy this book. ( )
  Randall.Hansen | Jun 24, 2014 |
The author forgot that her audience most likely was not of the same government security background as she. While the story was good, the writing was not engaging. It does lead to a sequel. Don't think I would recommend the book, but would recommend the author get a ghost writer so she could share her fiction in a more palatable manner. ( )
  LivelyLady | Jan 19, 2014 |
I must admit to a bias against books "as told to" or generally as co-written as is the case here. But I must admit that "Blowback" is much better than I had expected. It has a very interesting plot dealing with the threat of a nuclear bomb being developed by the Iranians. As the story opens, there appears to be an assassination plot targetting Western "impediments" to the Iranian's project and a number of the victims turn out to be heroine Vanessa Pierson's assets. Vanessa is one tough cookie, brainy too, and she has a lover also employed by the CIA. And that's a big no-no. There is a fair amount of shooting though not as much as in the super-spy books of a Lee Child or Vince Flynn. And this fist in a planned Vanessa series is not as cerebral as Littell, Lawton, or LeCarre. So it seems to fall somewhere in the middle. Me, I would prefer less shooting and more strategizing. I'll probably read #2 when it comes out. ( )
  maneekuhi | Dec 20, 2013 |
Writing-wise, on a par with Tami Hoag’s work – a bit too much emotional this and that by the protagonist – but in this case the plot was interesting and relevant, especially given Plame’s professional experience as a secret agent. The ending hit pretty close to home! ( )
  MargaretYatsevitch | Dec 12, 2013 |

Introducing an exhilarating new espionage thriller by former CIA ops officer Valerie Plame and thriller writer Sarah Lovett.

Covert CIA ops officer Vanessa Pierson is finally close to capturing the world’s most dangerous international nuclear arms dealer: Bhoot, alias the ghost. One of her assets has information about Bhoot’s upcoming visit to a secret underground nuclear weapons facility in Iran—in only a few days. But just as Pierson’s informant is about to give her the location, they’re ambushed by an expert sniper. Pierson narrowly escapes. Her asset: dead.

Desperate to capture Bhoot and the sniper before they inflict more damage, Pierson enlists all of the Agency’s resources to find them. But with each day, the pressure of the manhunt mounts, causing her to push her forbidden romance with a fellow ops officer to its limit when she asks him to do the impossible. Despite the risks, she refuses to halt her pursuit of the terrorists, and she puts her cover and her career—and her life—at risk.

With rapid-cut shifts from European capitals to Washington to the Near East, and with insider detail that only a former spy could provide, Blowback marks the explosive beginning of the hunt for Bhoot, the villain whom Vanessa Pierson devotes her life to capturing, dead or alive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:28 -0400)

Covert CIA ops officer Vanessa Pierson is finally close to capturing the world's most dangerous international nuclear arms dealer: Bhoot, alias the ghost. One of her assets has information about Bhoot's upcoming visit to a secret underground nuclear weapons facility in Iran -- in only a few days. But just as Pierson's informant is about to give her the location, they're ambushed by an expert sniper. Pierson narrowly escapes. Her asset: dead.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,923,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible