Who Was Christopher Columbus? by Bonnie…

Who Was Christopher Columbus?

by Bonnie Bader

This book is about Christopher Columbus the book is a biography about his life. The story starts with Christopher being a young child fascinated with discoveries and exploring. The boy grows up and is ready to explore and conquer the world. He embraced on many new expeditions that could change the world. One expedition in particular he travels to the East Indies. He sailed the ocean blue in fourteen ninety two. He had three ships which he took to see. He missed his rout for the East Indies which caused him landed up on the Americas. I talks of the Indians he encountered and the struggles he faced along the way.
Personal Reaction
I believe this book is a good biography about Christopher Columbus. The vocabulary is not and over whelming and the text is large enough for young readers. The illustrations are soft but have great detail. I like the use of maps and the overall flow of the book. I would definitely have this book in my classroom library.
Classroom Extensions
1. The teacher could do a lesson over reading maps and show how easy it could be to get lost at sea especially in the early fourteen hundreds without a GPS, and a good map.
2. The students could write a creative story over a journey out at sea and then illustrate the outcome.
3. Each student in the class could do research over Christopher Columbus and present their findings to the class in a short one page essay.
  KayleeClaunch | Nov 19, 2015 |
Review: This book was full of amazing information about Christopher Columbus. The illustrations in the book were well done and the writing was very appropriate for children who are trying to learn information about him.

Summary: This book talks about Christopher Columbus' life. He had to get through so many obstacles on his voyage to seek fortune by sailing west and creating new trade routes. You learn all about how he got his nickname and enjoy seeing beautiful illustrations.

Argument: I really enjoyed reading this book. I had forgotten a lot of information on Christopher Columbus so it was nice getting to read all about his life and journey to America.
The lesson of this story is to always try your best to accomplish your goals. ( )
  knold1 | Dec 9, 2014 |
Summary:
After reading this children's biography, you will learn all about Christopher Columbus. You will read about his life at sea which made him want to create new trade routes with the Indies as well as read about how he struggled to afford his voyage. You will even get to learn about how he called himself "Great Admiral of the Seas".

Review:
If you're like me, you know about historical figures and people who made a different in our world but you do not know the little things that impact why they are so well known. I knew that Christopher Columbus in "1692 sailed the ocean blue" but I did not know all of the things he went through to get there. I love learning about things like this, and the Who is? series of books really present the information in a very engaging and well written way. ( )
  mnorth2 | Dec 9, 2014 |
I liked the book, Who Was Christopher Columbus, by Bonnie Bader. The big idea of this book is information about the life of Christopher Columbus. The author wrote short chapters that summarized how Columbus got his start as a young boy that loved the sea. He also describes how Columbus loved the stories of Marco Polo and the rubies that were said to be “the size of a man’s fist.” The illustrator, Nancy Harrison, made simple black and white drawings that went along with the chapters. There are a couple of pages of pictures that describe the items that were loaded onto the ships, the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria. Some of those supplies were sardines, eggs, fruit, knives, muskets, mirrors, maps, and compasses. The author completes the story with a timeline of Christopher Columbus’s life and a time line of the world. ( )
  JenniferEckley | Nov 12, 2014 |

Learn all about Christopher Columbus' early life at sea, which led him to seek fortune by sailing west in hopes of creating new trade routes with the Indies. Kids will read about why he called himself the "Great Admirald of the Seas" and learn of all his struggles to find finacial support for his voyage.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:26 -0400)

Offers insight into the historical events that prompted Columbus' efforts to establish new trade routes to the Indies, his struggles to obtain financial support for his voyages, and the important discoveries that caused him to become known as the "Great Admiral of the Seas."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,700,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible