The Well's End by Seth Fishman

The Well's End

by Seth Fishman

Characters and story are well done but the ending felt forced and incomplete. I am hoping that there will be another book to fill out the story line. ( )
  scatlett | Nov 28, 2016 |
This book is amazing!
Right from the start this book grab’s your attention and never lets it go. The Well’s End has plenty of adventure along with an intriguing mystery and it’s well-paced.
I would recommend this book for teens who love Science-Fiction and want to read a unique and clever book.

-RR ( )
  WhitneyYPL | Feb 9, 2016 |
Some older content ( )
  gortonraidersread | Apr 29, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've tried to read this book several times now and I think it's just time to accept that it's not going to happen. I WANT to like the Well's End. It seems like an interesting concept and I really liked Mia and her background. I thought it added a little bit of additional character development that we hadn't really seen before. But I just... can't seem to make it past the first fifty pages of this book.

I originally got it back in February 2014 before it had come out courtesy of Library Thing's early reviewers program. I did my best to read it then and then again about a month or so later. Then, basically, I never again requested a book from Library Thing again out of shame.

I don't believe in forcing yourself to read books that you don't like. Life is too short. And I tell the kids I work with at the library the same thing. If you don't like a book - that's okay! Move on. You don't always get to just read for fun in school so read for fun when you can. But I've given this one three tries now - I even checked out the final copy from the library where I work - and I just couldn't do it. Maybe at some point I'll give it another shot. But, for now, I think it's just time to move on. ( )
  samaside | Jan 11, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When I began reading Well’s End I felt that I could not get into it, there was a girl who had fell into a well and apparently that was important enough to bring up a lot in the firs 65 pages but nothing ever seemed to come of it. Granted there was a virus that popped up and soldiers and so on, so there was action but I could not wrap my head around the importance of that well and this girl, so I stopped reading… On a whim the other day I picked it back up. I have been on a roll finishing books during the week and so I figured why not?

I jumped into the book and got what I expected of it, a horrible virus, and soldiers wanting something out of it, teens running for safety being chased by said soldiers. I feel like this is the plot of so many Young Adult books I have read lately, and that is fine. The characters are mostly teens; we follow Mia and two other girls and three guys (If my math is right, they all kind of jumbled for a bit). I have to say that Mia kind of got on my nerves, she seemed WAY too trusting of everyone, even after learning about a bunch of lies, she still trusted people and I feel like that isn’t realistic even if they are close to you. The other character were kind of just there for me, Mia was the focus and getting to the Cave was a big section of the book, not much room for a lot of deep character development that I could see.

The plot was an interesting one, may twists, most were expected and I had a feeling this was going to be a 3 star book, it was good but not spectacular – then I got to the last 3 chapters and was blown away. This dystopian virus ridden book just brought me back to my love for fantasy books like The Neverending Story. There was mystery, whimsy, craziness and what seems to be some magic and this girl, Mia seems to be the source for events about to occur, and that made all the difference. The book moved up from a 3 to a 4 star rating just because of those last chapters.

It almost felt like a whole new book in that instance. I am interested to see where Fishman takes the series, where is Mia going? Is there science behind everything or magic? I would love to find out. ( )
  sszkutak | Jul 29, 2014 |
What's the first thing you remember?

Sixteen-year-old Mia Kish's small town of Fenton, Colorado is known for three things: being home to the world's tallest sycamore tree, the national chicken-thigh-eating contest and one of the ritziest boarding schools in the country, Westbrook Academy. But when emergency sirens start blaring and Westbrook is put on lockdown, quarantined and surrounded by soldiers who shoot first and ask questions later, Mia realizes she's only just beginning to discover what makes Fenton special.

And the answer is behind the wall of the Cave, aka Fenton Electronics, of which her father is the Director. Mia's dad has always been secretive about his work, allowing only that he's working for the government. But unless Mia's willing to let the whole town succumb to a strange illness that ages people years in a matter of hours, the end result death, she's got to break quarantine, escape the school grounds and outsmart armed soldiers to uncover the truth.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:43 -0400)

"16-year-old Mia Kish and her friends search for answers when a mysterious illness brings their Colorado community to its knees"--

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Seth Fishman's book Well's End was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,030,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible