The Missing Dough by Chris Cavender

The Missing Dough

by Chris Cavender

This addition to the series centers more around Maddy than on Eleanor but both are on the hunt for a killer. When one of Maddy's ex-husbands, Grant, comes to town to try he eventually ends up dead. Bob, Maddy's fiance, is a suspect because he doesn't have an alibi. Both Eleanor and Maddy are determined to clear Bob's name and the only way to do that is to find out who actually killed Grant.

There are plenty of suspects that include his last ex-wife, his recently dumped girlfriend, and a mysterious business partner in what appears to be a gambling ring. Eleanor and Maddy check them all out while still keeping their pizza parlor "Slice of Delight" open.

I didn't see the killer in this one at all, Cavender did a great job of using red herrings to keep me guessing. ( )
  bookswoman | Dec 25, 2013 |
I found myself blink when I gave this book a two star rating. It may not deserve this score, but maybe my taste has evolved. And now the series which scored a perfect 5 stars for the past 5 books is found wanting. I admit that I didn't understand the bit about the website that has that aerial photo, but I understood most of the jokes and various points. In one way this book is less simple and is maybe going in the right direction, but I have been used to a slower pace which made for a very mellow, subtle, basic, and charming reading experience. This book may be an improvement, but it just means it is no longer appealing to my nature. Nothing more, nothing lasts forever! ( )
  Jiraiya | Dec 11, 2013 |
The Missing Dough by Chris Cavender
This mystery series is about Maddy and Eleanor and they own and run A Slice of Heaven pizzeria. They have part time help, one is Josh the police chief's son who's also a guru at the PC.
Grant, the ex husband is killed after being a nuisance to many in town during the fair and where many were threatening him when he dropped beer over them.
The woman are sisters and often spend the night at one another houses. This case is about the money that Grant had swindled out of others in the investment firm. His mother is also dead now and she's bequeathed something to Maddy in her will.
Rebecca is the sister who also is trying to find the money. There are ex's of Grants and his business partners that also come into the picture. Love the way the women come up with leads as to who the suspects are and how they are able to clear their names.
Love the tip at the end of the book, after the mystery is solved about left over bread dough. Love the combinations used and just the fun of experimenting...
I received this book from The Kennsington Books in exchange for my honest review ( )
  jbarr5 | Nov 26, 2013 |

The only thing Eleanor Swift loves more then A Slice of Delight - her Timber Ridge, North Carolina pizzeria - is her sister Maddy. So when Maddy's cheating ex-husband Grant shows up with some pie-in-the-sky idea to win Maddy back, Eleanor is happy to see her sister swiftly show him the door. But they both know Grant isn't done yet...Especially when he picks a fight with Maddy's fiancee Bob in front of the whole town at the annual Founder's Day Festival. Naturally, when Grant is later found stabbed in the heart with a barbeque skewer, Bob is featured on the police chief's menu as Suspect No. 1. And when it turns out that Maddy stands to gain a different kind of dough - and lots of it - from Grant exiting this world, she and Eleanor know it's up to them to cook up an investigation to find the real killer. Was it that female singer at the festival who wanted a word with the recently deceased? Or maybe Grant's haughty sister, who's colder then a day-old pizza? Or Grant's "business partner," who seemingly had the opportunity, means, and motive to mortally skewer Maddy's ex-husband? Only one thing is for sure: Eleanor and Maddy need to turn up the heat and deliver this killer...or their next scrumptious pizza may be their last!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,987,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible