Exodus: A Memoir by Deborah Feldman

Exodus: A Memoir (2014)

by Deborah Feldman

Somehow I found myself a bit judgmental while reading Deborah Feldman's second book; her poignantly written first one ("Unorthodox") appealed to me so much more.​ I think it's something to do with the way she chose to explore the world after leaving her ultra orthodox community of Hasidic Jews, the choices she made... After all, she herself says that it was an accepted notion among the members of that closed community that "freedom posed an especial danger... to those who had never previously experienced it" - even though she rebelled against that notion as well... Maybe she thought that she would be above that danger. Not so - the book shows.

Yes - to traveling and discovering her grandmother's roots in Europe, being indignant as to Europe's less than adequate remembrance of Holocaust, understanding more of her identity, while some other ways of expressing herself and finding herself seemed slightly over the board. But again, that's looking from the side. She was lost in this newfound freedom and empathy is expected. For her, all of it seemed worthwhile in the end. She finishes on a very optimistic note, and that's what counts. But deep inside, I still felt that she could have made better choices on occasion. Still, there IS a good writer in her... ( )
1 vote Clara53 | Nov 18, 2017 |
Feldman's account of her life after leaving her toxic Satmar family and community with her son. She travels the world, visits her grandmother's hometown in Hungary, and is angered that many European towns have virtually wiped Jewish life (prior to WWII) off the map and continue to exhibit anti-semitism. She meets many wonderful and not-so wonderful people while continuously learning how to live her new free life, making adjustments as she goes along.

Excellent read! ( )
  Bookish59 | Feb 6, 2015 |
I didn't finish it because I'd borrowed it from the library and couldn't renew it - it had reserves. I liked Deborah Feldman's first book, Unorthodox, much better; however, I'll give this one another chance when I have more time to read. ( )
  ElizabethFlygare | Aug 25, 2014 |
To Pearl, my grandmother, who was my first light along this path
There she is, just across the street, sulking on the stoop.

Deborah Feldman, author of the explosive New York Times–bestselling memoir Unorthodox, returns with an extraordinary follow-up that traces her new life as an independent young woman and single mother, and her search for an authentic and personal Jewish identity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:32 -0400)

Feldman, who at the age of twenty-three packed up her young son and their few possessions and walked away from her insular Hasidic roots in Brooklyn, explores the United States and Europe and, as a result of her travels, redefines her sense of identity as a non-Orthodox Jew committed to self-acceptance and healing.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,572,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible