The Settlers (Movement Trilogy, #1) by Jason…

The Settlers (Movement Trilogy, #1)

by Jason Gurley

This is the first audiobook I've ever listened to; thanks to the author for providing it for free as part of his email program!

This was an interesting book, not just the storyline, but the way in which it was constructed. The main storyline deals with Tasneem Kyoh and David Dewbury during the time in which mankind is slowly moving off-planet into huge space stations because of the environmental destruction on earth. The author fills the gaps not with simple "this happened, then this happened", but with complex stories of people caught up in history as it happened. The stories of Mae and Micah, Bernard and Angelika, and Eldon were especially poignant. Of course, this is the first volume in a planned trilogy, and Mr. Gurley ends this first book in grand fashion on a wonderful cliffhanger. While this starts out as a simple story, by the end of the book, it looks like the trilogy will be turning into a space opera.

The narration in the audiobook, by Maria Hunter Welles, was very good. Her ability to change her voice for each character throughout the book is simply amazing. At no point did I wonder who was talking; her voice characterizations are that good. Several reviewers have complained that the print version of the book has no quotation marks, making the story somewhat hard to follow. This problem doesn't exist in the audiobook.

Highly recommended! ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 31, 2016 |
To be honest I thought there was something wrong with the book I got from Google Books, when I began reading it. There are no quotation marks in the book, that’s why I thought the copy was wrong. So I emailed Jason and he emailed back in less than a day. Really nice guy. I was going to buy his other books (this one is free from all the major ebook places) before he responded to my email; but being so nice to what must have seemed an asinine question (“Why are there no quotes in the book?”) made it that I will definitely read his other stuff.

The Settlers is a good book. Nicely paced, good plot, well written. It’s good to see his latest work has been picked up by major publishers who have a longer reach and can get the books more visibility. I recommend the book and at a free price tag, you really have nothing to lose.
  scifi_jon | Jun 16, 2015 |

Highly recommended! ( )
  ssimon2000 | Sep 11, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,391,836 books! | Top bar: Always visible