Journal Of A Residence In America (1835) by…

Journal Of A Residence In America (1835)

by Fanny Kemble

222,551,640 (2)None
Recently added byR0BIN

No tags.

Fanny Kemble was a very famous 19th century British actress and author who traveled the world, married one of her groupies who inherited a plantation with hundreds of slaves, divorced him and became an outspoken advocate of abolition. She belonged to a theatrical family; her father, aunt and uncle were famous actors and her sister was an opera singer. Fanny kept extensive journals commenting on everything. Her diary [b:Journal of a Residence on a Georgian Plantation 1838-1839|9844407|Journal of a Residence on a Georgian Plantation 1838-1839|Frances Anne Kemble|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41eOmqx7TnL._SL75_.jpg|14735237] was published before the Civil War, she spoke against slavery and donated money to the abolitionist movement.

Rather than read one of the biographies like [b:Fanny Kemble's Civil War|220087|Fanny Kemble's Civil War|Catherine Clinton|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1172807759s/220087.jpg|2290419], I thought that I would go straight to the source and read her journals. I expected her to write in a Victorian style so that wasn't a surprise but every couple of pages she goes off on some tangent. She would see a sunrise and then go on and on about it actually saying nothing at all. Three more pages of substance and then a page on the moonlight, two pages on ocean waves, a page on rose petals. After a while these "spells" got so boring that when I recognized the beginning of one of them I would skip a page.

Although her memoirs were published many years after they were written, the author blanked out all the names of people. All men, except her father and a couple of famous people who were mentioned in passing (like Lord Byron and presidents of the U.S.) were called Mr.---- and all women were Miss---- or Mrs.----. So it was impossible to keep track of who was present or who was speaking. So many paragraphs look like: Mr. and Mrs.---- joined us for dinner but Mr.---- declined our invitation. Mr.---- brought me a nosegay. Mr.---- sang for us. As he was leaving Mr.---- invited me to go riding but father and I had a prior appointment with Mr.----."

Fanny Kemble lived an intense and interesting life but, unless you have a specific interest in reading her journals as she wrote them, I would recommend reading an edited version like Catherine Clinton's [b:Fanny Kemble's Journals|1042570|Fanny Kemble's Journals|Fanny Kemble|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1180458972s/1042570.jpg|1028971] ( )
  R0BIN | Apr 27, 2013 |

R0BIN | Apr 27, 2013 |

This book is a facsimile reprint and may contain imperfections such as marks, notations, marginalia and flawed pages.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:15 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,401,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible